• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Favorite masking tool?

Jillbeans

OK you knew it was coming.
Upgraded to a 24" plotter and now I have to handle 24" app tape.
I usually used my left arm like a spindle in the core of a 14" roll.
I am not able to do this with the bigger stuff.
What type of masking machine should I buy?
I mean one that clamps onto a table.
(I already bought a new love seat to go with the plotter)
Am I capable of building a home-made tool?
I am up for either option and open to any suggestions, almost.
:thankyou:
Love....Jill

gnatt66

i rarely pull mask off of my dispenser anymore, i just use my big squeegee cradle tool. just as fast and never a wrinkle.

Sticky Signs

I use 24" mask all the time. I usually pull off about 1-3' and place it over the vinyl as straight as possible. (the end of the mask gets stuck to your work table and helps keep things in place. Lightly smooth out the rest until you've used up the 1-3'.) I than use an old 3" core and use that to push the mask over the rest of the vinyl. It's kinda like a poor mans laminator. It takes a little getting used to, but once you figure it out, you can mask huge lengths at a time and very quickly.

good luck

Mosh

Picture1.jpg

We made our own. Pretty simple a 2x4, plywood, pipe, and the black deals that come in the end of the tape rolls. We have 12", 24" and a 30" ones.
Our table is 5x16 so one person can tape up to that length.
They couldn't have cost me $10 to make.

gabagoo

Picture1.jpg

We made our own. Pretty simple a 2x4, plywood, pipe, and the black deals that come in the end of the tape rolls. We have 12", 24" and a 30" ones.
Our table is 5x16 so one person can tape up to that length.
They couldn't have cost me $10 to make.

I have something very similar, but I find as I am putting the mask down and as I get closer to the roll it starts to get tight and then sometimes the wrinking can occur. Any hints on how to keep it less taught? I have a 38" big squeegee with the cradle, maybe I should give it a whirl

HaroldDesign

At that width, I just lay the tape out on the table adhesive side up, and then lay the graphic onto it and squeegee against the backer. No mishaps or bubbles.

Mosh

We put the vinyl at least 20" from the "one man hobo tape machine"
That way it won't be such a tight angle.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I've been using a single axle Weber for years. You can whomp one up out of a couple of pieces of wood, a length of 1" water pipe, and a couple of C-clamps. Just look at a picture of the Weber and you'll get the idea.

I've tried the big squeegee and in this application it's a lot more trouble than using the Weber style machine.

The Weber features a brake allowing you to set the tension on the roll of mask. This tension allows you to peel off a longish length of mask and hold it suspended above whatever it is you're masking while you squeegee it down. In theory anyway. You can do your own brake, just another C-clamp and a piece of something held against the roll to keep it from free-wheeling on the axle.

Hint: All of the images of a Weber will show it holding a roll of mask just barely off the surface of the table to which it's mounted. Go higher. Get the roll 4"-6" or even more above the table surface. The higher the roll is mounted, withing reason, the less you have to depend on any braking mechanism to keep the mask tented over the vinyl until you squeegee it down. I have my Weber mounted to blocks to elevated it to where I want it to be.

Hint: Get a 12" drywall trowel/squeegee/whatever it's called and use it to squeegee the mask to the vinyl.

CES020

Haven't used one of those since we got our big squeegees either.

In fact, I threw our home made one in the trash a few weeks ago. Just no use for it now.

signkraft

Anything under 30" I usually tape by hand. Here's a quick diagram of how I mask 24" vinyl or smaller.

Attachments

• app tech.jpg
    app tech.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 136

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We also have quite a few home made models about the shop, but we also have two of these. A 30" and a 42". It's almost too cheap this way and you don't have to waste any time, materials or money building your own... unless you like to tinker.
paper roller.jpg
paper cutter.jpg