• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First Time purchase/set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

flisk

After reading these posts, I see that most people will be going to Hell for bluntly lying to the man. I too agree that our business is being over populated. But we should also blame our selves for over charging this man and making him go purchace his own equiptment. Sign whore-house and Ordinaryway Sign Supply sell blank banners for less than a $1.00 psq. and they list this on their web page.
You can't be pissed at the man for looking for a cheaper way of doing things. And for the person that said it would cost over 20G's, come on man, the internet just proved that you were wrong when this man of god googled the products he was looking to purchace
I say kudos to the guy.
What YOUR clients should be paying you for is your talent, NOT your prices. So ALL you BASHERS should have nothing to worry about.
I am new at posting here but I view this site on a daily basis for a few years now, and I had to speak up on behalf of this guy getting bashed by the sign industry and making the talented people look bad.

-TB

Going to hell? Thanks for passing judgement on me. And all this time I thought only one entity had that power. Fair enough, allow me to pass judgment too...

Where do you get off calling most people that responded in this post that they told a lie? Each post here was based on facts. I suggest you go back and read the posts again (you were not by chance an engineer at some point were you?).
Contrary to your view, some people here DO have expensive machines that they use to operate their businesses. Printing machines can range anywhere from $10K on up to the hundreds of thousands. Our members here have them in that range. Industrial (read non-hobby) plotters can run anywhere from $2K on up to about $12K (maybe a little more). When you get a sign made by one of those, you are not getting overcharged, you are getting exactly what you pay for. QUALITY.

Let's break that down a little further, shall we?

Since you are in the sign industry (I get that from you saying "our business") then I'm sure at some point you have had to buy a banner blank. Most suppliers will give you a discount when you buy a certain amount. Let's say I go to my supplier and get 1 banner blank for $60.00. I turn around three weeks later and get 50 banner blanks for $45.00 each. If my normal markup is 2.5, that would make the first banner $150.00. That would make the second batch $112.50. Am I overcharging on that first banner? No. I'm charging what I charge to recoup costs on my materials, labor, and machines.

Now look at that and read it a few times if you don't get it at first.

As for being pissed at the guy for wanting to get his own stuff, again go back and READ ALL of the posts. We are not pissed at him for wanting to do that. We are mad because he has such a "off the cuff" view of what we do. He thinks it's as simply as getting a printer for your home computer, shoving some paper in it, and off you go. Nothing could be further from that! THAT is what we are upset about. That he views what we do as EASY. We make what we do LOOK easy. It takes YEARS of practice and education to master a machine that it takes to do the things we do. To pass that off in a way that says, yeah I'll go get one and be in buisness by the weekend IS in and of itself upsetting and flat out insulting. You claim to be in the sign business (and infer that you are among "the talented people", frankly I'm shocked that you are not insulted by his insinuations.

TB designs

Ladies, ladies ladies. Relax. I'm not here to walk over all of you. as for "The Man", I wouldn't care if it's the president of the US. What I said was MY opinion. And a valid one at that.

-TB

gvgraphics

Ladies, ladies ladies. Relax. I'm not here to walk over all of you. as for "The Man", I wouldn't care if it's the president of the US. What I said was MY opinion. And a valid one at that.

-TB

Now thats funny!!

If you would have read the whole thread you would have seen that what you are talking about is BS.

So as far as a valid point.............I don't think so!

First post today, no response from the starter of this thread...............
You must be the Minister!

flisk

-TB

Your opinion? yes.

valid? no.

It's flawed at best because you have simply not taken any facts to support it.

Keep at it though, you will get the hang of it eventually.

harrisgraphix

Its a sad day when the church decides to stop supporting its locals and bring stuff "inhouse", Maybe before long they will only support needs as well of only those "inhouse". It should be more than saving a few of the tax free greens that are donated anyway, it should be about supporting your community and businesses. I for one give our local churches a better deal than I would give my best friend. I wouldnt put a dime in the offering for any church that didnt support its local tax paying businesses.

TB designs

Why I continue to go on with this post is beyond me, but for the ppl that had commented. Here you go for 1 last time.

Here is what I own (so you can see that I've invested money as well)
XC540
VP540
SJ600EX
FC7000-75 and 160
a staffed building of 17 and 15,000 sq
So you wanna talk about taking business away?

harrisgraphix

Because someone owns a few items doesnt make a point valid or invalid. I think coming in and telling people they are going to "hell" doesnt leave many even willing to care of the point afterwards. Hitler owned many items, and have many many more employees, doesnt make his mission and points valid.
I for one could careless for any church that doesnt give back to its local, the same locals whose taxes dollars are supporting them along with their checks and cash they drop in the plates.
I would think there would be a lot better things for a chuch to be active with rather than peeling vinyl and layering vinyl. I mean really how many homeless keep warm and feed by a hanging banner and a vehicle decal.

TB designs

Advertisment will bring the fear of god in you so you can except the lord jesus christ and your congragation will grow by knowing with a banner that your church is there. For example, free food for the homless. With the money we saved on purchasing our sign making products.

gvgraphics

Advertisment will bring the fear of god in you so you can except the lord jesus christ and your congragation will grow by knowing with a banner that your church is there. For example, free food for the homless. With the money we saved on purchasing our sign making products.

So you are part of the church and the one who started this thread. So who is going to hell now? Must be you for lying about your identity and trying to cover up who you are.

Amen

FatCat

I for one could careless for any church that doesnt give back to its local, the same locals whose taxes dollars are supporting them along with their checks and cash they drop in the plates.
I would think there would be a lot better things for a chuch to be active with rather than peeling vinyl and layering vinyl. I mean really how many homeless keep warm and feed by a hanging banner and a vehicle decal.

Agreed!

After I read they were first running their own print shop this kind of hit home, as my family owns a print shop. We've lost a lot of business from churches and organizations who want to save a nickel and buy their own digital copiers etc. to do their own work. Especially after we were selling them work near wholesale prices in the first place!

They get a visit from some slick consultant or salesman and they think they will do it themselves. It all sounds good on paper until they start adding up the man hours, the repairs, supplies and maintenance. Oh, and then throw in the fact that they have ZERO professional experience. Most of them are probably lucky to break even. After all the years of giving them discounts or freebies and breaking our backs to turn around some last minute emergency project that was the thanks we received.

We still get the occasional job or 2 from our former customers who now do it themselves. Either a job is too critical for their machine, or their machine is broke, out of toner etc.... You better believe I charge them 110% when they walk back in my door. No discounts, no freebies and if they want it in a hurry they're getting hit with a rush charge on top of it!!!:thumb:

You can tell me I shouldn't take advantage of them, but I figure they owe me.

TB designs

First off I'm not the CHURCH that you tried to JEW over. Just a concerned indavidual that attends church.

It's better to give than to receive, so why don't you make the banners for free to this church and you will be blessed seven fold. So I hope you get blessed my brother.
God bless you.

TB designs

flisk

Had to have at least went to the same school...

It's Advertisement (not advertisment)
It's accept (not except - accept is to welcome something, except is to exclude - I assume you are not meaning that you are wanting to except "the lord jesus christ")
It's congregation (not congragation)
It's homeless (not homless)

And for the record, I've never had an advertisement bring the fear of anything into me. If I have to have a banner on display just to know that my church is there, then I have done something seriously wrong. I'd, at the very least, think I'd notice the BIG BUILDING first.

gvgraphics

I'm not the one the church was talking about. I am just sick of the churches, race car drivers and so on buying their own equipment to save a buck. In fact they are both about the same in my book, both get donations or sponsors to support them, and both seem to think they need to save a buck so they can pocket some for them selfs.

Now they are not all like that, but allot are and it gets old.

Should I turn my spare bedroom into a chapel so I don't have to give donations on Sunday? Would that be fair? Think about it, and you will see my point.

TB designs

OK so my spelling isn't the best, but we aren't here to talk about my spelling, we are here to talk about your blessings that you can give to the church, and remember that jesus loves you. John 3.16
he died for our sin's

gvgraphics

OK so my spelling isn't the best, but we aren't here to talk about my spelling, we are here to talk about your blessings that you can give to the church, and remember that jesus loves you. John 3.16
he died for our sin's

Well answer the question as I asked above, but here it is again for you........

Should I turn my spare bedroom into a chapel so I don't have to give donations on Sunday? Would that be fair? Think about it, and you will see my point.

And by the way, you may want to read the forum rules...No religious topics. So please stop posting your religious beliefs and how you want to save us.

Jillbeans

First off I'm not the CHURCH that you tried to JEW over. Just a concerned indavidual that attends church.
Nice use of a derogatory term, Mr. Christian.

Hey I give churches and fire companies a discount as I see fit.
I do free stuff for my church lots of times, and they help me as well.
But I also find the initial post disturbing. To the OP, stick with your church business, and we here at Signs 101 will keep making signs.
Love....Jill

TB designs

I wasn't being religious, you brought up church, not me. You were just fun to tease, I proved my point over and over again, and to all my employees at that.
One of my points was that religion had nothing to do with this topic, but yet you would continue to argue?
And Secondly, he is a customer of mine, I pointed him in the right direction and where to purchace it from.
I must say, maybe this is why your bashing him, for this forum. It has taken all your time up and your un-able to sell?
I don't know, I am self employed but the only thing that goes wrong is the temp. outside the church.
ahhh, I had to. LOL

TB designs

Nice use of a derogatory term, Mr. Christian.

Hey I give churches and fire companies a discount as I see fit.
I do free stuff for my church lots of times, and they help me as well.
But I also find the initial post disturbing. To the OP, stick with your church business, and we here at Signs 101 will keep making signs.
Love....Jill

I never said I was a christian, but what i ment to say was SCREWED over

Status
Not open for further replies.