• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Give Up Hire a Professional

Bigdawg

Just Me
Correction... I've already done your job.

Family real estate magazine for several years... I know realtors like the back of my hand... and the only taste the majority of them have is in their mouth. I spout out Real Estate signs on a regular basis and I have the background knowledge to know what they want.

Most of them don't know chit from shinola. So the fact that you've sold a buttload of signs doesn't say anything about your perceived skills. It just says your clients don't give a damn.

Why don't you post up some of those real estate sign layouts... and I'll do the same....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino, I am not claiming to be a Gift to designing. I don't know what a color wheel is. I haven't had much if any formal training. Have never made a claim to have had any.

My layout skills are commercial. They work well for the industry I service. Realtors and very occasionally very small business owners. I am Not a big shop or a big shot in that respects. Have no desire to be one. I am happy doing what I do.

Not trying to argue here either. Was enjoying reading everyone's different points of view honestly. I have only done a few logos in my whole career and from being on here. Really can't believe anyone ever accepted or paid for any of them. Looking back I wouldn't even call them logos anymore.

Well, at least you admitted it. I have to give you credit for that. :thumb:

I think what many here and in other threads have been saying is to please stop your fibbing. It's so easy for anyone to see right through you and you keep going for broke.... as in Broker... I couldn't resist that one.

I know we don't get along, but it could stop right now, if maybe you'd try to be more open and honest about your yourself. I don't mean you have to open up and spill your guts, but please refrain from acting like a big shot. Perhaps you are in your office or shop, perhaps you are in your town, but here.... most people have to earn their keep. One doesn't become part of any brotherhood by being a complete a$$wipe and pouting when not getting one's way. You might think you're not doing it, but you are.

In fact, with many of your posts, you have created dissension between otherwise good friends. No one wants to see anyone fail, but no one likes a Bullchitter, so let's all start over and make your welcome a nice one and try to behave like everyone else.

I'm not trying to be a referee and I'm no more entitled to ordering anything then you are..... but I'm tired of trashing you because of what/who you portray to be. Get above the broker know-it-all syndrome and let's see you become one of us...................
Bury_The_Hatchet.jpg

Last edited:

John Butto

Zippity Do Da

It's so easy for anyone to see right through you and you keep going for broke.... an is Broker... I couldn't resist that one.

I can assume from his, Adtecwhatever, tone he looks at sign people as yahoos. He will broker a deal from a sign person and then mark it up and sell it and with a sly smile he pockets the money thinking he is smarter than BrerBear & BrerFox & BrerSignguy. When he finds this website and sees the potential of getting advice, conversation and artwork for free, well let me tell you he has landed in the brier patch. He is Charles Dickens' Mr. Pecksniff (and when he googles this he will feel he even knows more than before).

iSign

CES020, I thought i worded my reply carefully enough to prevent this knee-jerk defensiveness you're displaying now... chill out and read it again...

iSign said:
...if the only opinion you have to offer in exercising your rightful privilege to share your opinion around here, is to denounce the manner in which others should exercise their rightful privilege to share their opinions...

then dude... start your own forum... hell, you could even call it "Thin Skin Armour"... and you could be the white knight that protects to fair maidens (man woman or otherwise) of bad design from the oppressive freewheelin' opinions of all them hard core design thugs at Signs101!!

I mean come on dude.. the"Thin Skin Armour" forum... sorry, I thought that was pretty funny, being as how the logo for that same name was the thread that led to this thread being started...

anyway, you see that I emphasized the word "if" this time... that was an important word for understanding my point...

nobody is challenging your right to express your opinion... in fact I spell that out. right there! ...and then you try to turn the tables on me & put words in my mouth, as if I think that MY opinion counts, and yours doesn't??? That's NOT in there.. that is ALL you, not me!!

That's GREAT! So if you have an opinion, then we should all sit and listen, but if I have an opinion, I should shut up and go start my own forum. Got it now, thanks for explaining it. I pay for membership on this forum just like you do and I'll post my opinion and beliefs just like you do. You don't like it, then hit the ignore button on my name.

see... you are missing it entirely... I never said my opinion counts more then yours..

I'm sorry but you don't get to play that card because I said it to you first...

YOU want to post about how others opinions (challenging other members design work, for example) should stop, and YOU keep posting about that opinion, HALF A DOZEN TIMES in the last week at least...

you're sharing the opinion that others need to stop sharing their opinion

so, I'm calling you out on the inequity of that... you can try to twist it & call me out on an inequity of telling you not to share your opinion... but it still goes back to the fact, that the only opinion I'm wishing you would quit cramming down everyone's throat is the one where you attempt to control or stifle the freedom of other members speech...

I guess when you replied to GrampaDan's post about treating people better, you only meant that for the minutes it took you to type it. Dan says it and you say "Dan, you're so right", I post it and I'm thinned skinned and need to leave the forum. Got it. At least you are consistent....oh wait....nevermind.

I'm sorry to have to point out that there is a difference between you and Dan... Dan says something once, in an uplifting post and forgive me if I can't behave like a changed man, even though I chose to state publicly that I look up to his ethics & would strive to grow as a result...

On the other hand, please remember that the first 3 or 4 or 5 times I saw you telling people to use the ignore button, or to quit posting confrontational or combative posts... I didn't see it as uplifting, but I also didn't say anything to you about it... it was only after it became such a touchstone for you to make into your cause, that I felt like pointing out that it is just your opinion that nobody should ever stand up to the BS around here, and should use the ignore button instead...

I don't agree with you, and that is why I didn't "ignore you" and I challenged you instead... that's what I do..

shakey0818

Not whining or crying. Was asking for a debate on something that had been on my mind. Seems like we have a healthy debate going on among professionals. I don't think anyone here myself included is whining or crying.

I am rather enjoying the conversation. I am sure many others are to. I think this thread has stayed on track without sinking into name calling and other moronic behaviors we have all been guilty of at one time or another.
I think he is just a weeded from Sign-A-Rama and likes to start controversy because he is too bored with his life.I dont know why anyone would reply to his posts.

CES020

I never said people shouldn't share their opinion Doug, I just asked if we could clean some of it up since it was becoming a broken record. Adtech posts, you and Gino argued with him. Ad tech posts, you argued with him, Adtech posts, same old same old. It was getting old. I'm perfectly comfortable saying "Can we stop already?". I'm not sure why you think that's so "threatening" to the forum.

You speak about the quality of the forum. Do you really think that your posts to Adtech bettered the forum during that period?

I wouldn't even begin to compare myself to Grampa Dan. I've never met him, don't know him, but I do have a lot of respect for him. Why? Because I've never seen him slam anyone on this forum.

I have no desire to continue a pissing match with you. I've said all I'll say to you in this thread.

iSign

I never said people shouldn't share their opinion Doug, I just asked if we could clean some of it up since it was becoming a broken record. Adtech posts, you and Gino argued with him. Ad tech posts, you argued with him, Adtech posts, same old same old. It was getting old. I'm perfectly comfortable saying "Can we stop already?". I'm not sure why you think that's so "threatening" to the forum.

You speak about the quality of the forum. Do you really think that your posts to Adtech bettered the forum during that period?

I wouldn't even begin to compare myself to Grampa Dan. I've never met him, don't know him, but I do have a lot of respect for him. Why? Because I've never seen him slam anyone on this forum.

I have no desire to continue a pissing match with you. I've said all I'll say to you in this thread.

it doesn't matter if YOU are done talking about it, if you misrepresent me, I'm going to set the record straight. I never said your posts were threatening the forum... I pointed out that you were in essence, doing just what you were telling others not to do... which is telling others what to do or say, on not do, or not say... and one could argue that i am doing that now... but I'm not... I embrace anarchy... the wild world of forum posting is unique & without doubt, class, manners & integrity are great to have... but fighting for it can be an uphill battle, and fighting for it without class, manners or integrity makes no sense...

you said "I just asked if we could clean some of it up" ...and if you had "just asked" 3 or 4 times, nothing would have been said...

when Addie started a thread about it, you could have taken a back seat...

...but no, this has become your crusade.. so, only then did I feel like pointing out what I personally saw to be hypocrisy! :rock-n-roll:

shakey0818

I think you just started one,lol,Beware Doug can piss real far.I think his posts to addy is definately justified and his loud mouth and strong opinions is what makes this forum fun and interesting.He and many of the other old timers is why i purchased a premium membership.:toasting:

Bigdawg

Just Me
Boys, boys, boys....

do we really need another pissing match????

If you really do... take it over to NHB and have at it. But I see both sides on this one and in reality... don't think there's much either one of ya' need to be pissin' and moaning about...

Bigdawg

Just Me
Boys, boys, boys....

do we really need another pissing match????

If you really do... take it over to NHB and have at it. But I see both sides on this one and in reality... don't think there's much either one of ya' need to be pissin' and moaning about...

Jillbeans

I actually think two things.
#1 just ban adtechia. He's a broker.
#2 or give him his own section of the forum, where he and the virus who posts as him can argue back and forth ad nauseum.
He is a sh!t stirrer of the first water and of no real benefit to any of us, unless someone wants to learn how not to design a sign or the fine art of backpedaling.

surf city

OK, not for nothing but, if you post something looking for feedback, take what you get and try and LEARN from it. Pretty simple if ya ask me. DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT get offended or upset with some of the feedback that you get. This is a forum of people who collectively have hundreds and hundreds of years of experience and from what I can gather since being here is that they all WANT TO HELP EVERYONE who comes here. If you continue to ask stupid questions you're gonna get smacked by these people, face that fact and grow up. If you continually STIR THE POT for no good reason, please STOP IT. This is supposed to be a community of signwriters and signmakers to SHARE opinions and EXPERIENCE with each other. Please DO NOT make this place into something that turns into something bad. DO NOT take criticism as a personal strike against you, take it for what it is worth. 95% of the time the feedback you are getting is seriously meant to help with what you are asking, sometimes it might sound mean but, this is a computer it has no dialect or inflection as to how the person actually sounds. If you take something personal, try to re-read it a couple of times to get the actual message, most of the time it is NOT meant to belittle you but, rather to make you think about what you are asking. I'm sure there is plenty more to say but, gotta go walk the dog so that's it for now.

jwmedia

Are people on here really THAT stupid? I guess you were all just born professionals, huh? Pro's from day 1...no practice ever! Every job was PERFECT with no need for critiques...I WORSHIP you!

Grow up, please....

HulkSmash

Now now Stacy. Back up a bit. I have commercial skills. That has been backed up by the amount of Real Estate Signage I design and sell every week. I am no Michelangelo. However, my skills have been selling work. Compared to many other Real Estate signs out there where you can't even read the phone number let alone the website address for all the information crammed on a sign or magnet, or the Business cards I see many on here post for review where you can't even read someones name. I have been doing layouts for Realtors for over 15 years. I have been designing their signage, their ads, and many other marketing materials. 15 years of selling to one industry in a city of only 4,000 agents. If I had no skill I would have been gone long ago.

Believe me word travels fast around my area when you can't cut it especially in the small world of Real Estate. My products help sell homes and at the end of the day that is what my clients want.

So I may not fit your standard thats fine we aren't even on the same playing field. You wouldn't be able to do my job and I wouldn't be able to do yours. So why fight with me over it??

Realators work for free. So they go where things are the cheapest. And we all know you get what you pay for.
Congrats you can stack text.

"FOR SALE
XXX.XXX.XXX"

just sayin

W

wetgravy

Realators work for free. So they go where things are the cheapest. And we all know you get what you pay for.
Congrats you can stack text.

"FOR SALE
XXX.XXX.XXX"

just sayin

The best realty agents know that a sign is worth gold and will ask about bulk discounts as well as pay for design work. I made a killing one summer a few years back doing just design work for a realty agent who was advertising ~everywhere~ and needed the same type of elements in each ad for consistency. Fun stuff, easy design work, good pay.

stoneandtle

wow...all this because I posted a logo for feedback to learn some more do's and don'ts.

The site is called "Signs101"...to me it sounded like a place to learn more about signs, art, printers, and all other aspects of the sign business, so I joined. Otherwise it should have been called ProSigns or Signs600 (let's give it an upper college course number), no?

Sorry for all the grief it appears I've caused...

John Butto

rub some on where it hurts

wow...all this because I posted a logo for feedback to learn some more do's and don'ts.

The site is called "Signs101"...to me it sounded like a place to learn more about signs, art, printers, and all other aspects of the sign business, so I joined. Otherwise it should have been called ProSigns or Signs600 (let's give it an upper college course number), no?

Sorry for all the grief it appears I've caused...

Looks like you need some of that thar Skin Skin Armor for that grief your ailing from.

stoneandtle

Looks like you need some of that thar Skin Skin Armor for that grief your ailing from.

I'm just perplexed how my posting caused such a stir considering this is "Signs101"...I have pretty thick skin, so to speak, and I'm fairly certain that's apparent based on the threads I've started LOL. But seriously, from an outsider looking in, it seems like there's more animosity floating around here than I would have imagined.

Definitely some history at this site among members...some of it rather entertaining at times. :popcorn:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm just perplexed how my posting caused such a stir considering this is "Signs101"...I have pretty thick skin, so to speak, and I'm fairly certain that's apparent based on the threads I've started LOL. But seriously, from an outsider looking in, it seems like there's more animosity floating around here than I would have imagined.

Definitely some history at this site among members...some of it rather entertaining at times. :popcorn:

It's all about entertainment. Without it, there'd be nothing to do here. Ya see, most of us were born smart and with a pencil in one hand, a brush up our butt and a beer in the other hand. There wasn't anything we couldn't letter... if we could outrun it. Then along comes Captain Gerber of the USS Gerber Machine and thus began the sad turn of talent into a push button society. Now, all we have are old worn out memories of how it used to be and all these whippersnappers turning out digital prints without any concern of people's eyes and burning terribly horrible impressions into our brains and scarring us for life. Yes, the good ol' days. :corndog:

BUT, there's hope. There really is. If everyone gets into this business that knows absolfrickinlutely nothing about signs and we keep mass producing garbage... the world will forget what we once had and this new era of sign making will eventually take hold. Sure, gone are the days of signs lasting 25 years.... or having some eye appeal, but we'll have down right cheap signs that has no zest. Wait, what's zest ?? Does that appear in my toolbox in CRxT-**SE638.352 version of signsbygoopy ??

:Sleeping: