• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Got to make a choice Graphtec or Roland

Techman

Cutting from Illustrator, Corel, whatever is a stunt and requires third party cobbled up software.

I am sure you mistyped what this means.. Cobbled up usually means something whipped together out of whatever was around to get you by in a pinch...

Corel draw had means to cut vinyl all the way from version 6.. Plus the plugin named cocut fits corel and illy and autocad perfectly and gives those softs the ability to cut direct... And is certainly not third party..

WVB

Roland........ I love Roland as a whole. I use to run a Roland Stika, just a cheap hobby cutter that I out grew in one months time. This was at least 3 years ago. I have since sold it (got all my money back btw) via ebay and to this day Roland calls me just to check in and see how my business is going. The only reason I would have choosen Graphtec over Roland was due to the OPOS feature not available up till now... Now you can get the Roland Camm-1 Pro series with OPOS. So my vote is back to Roland. If the Camm-1's are out of your price range check out the GX-24 it too has OPOS. You may cut directly from Corel or Illustrator with the drivers Roland provides for free. You may also use CoCut/CoCut Pro to cut from Illustrator/Corel.

In any event you can NOT go wrong with Roland or Graphtec period....

os101king

I've been working with Rolands for about 6years.... not by choice, mind you. Big thing to consider if you're buying the CX-24 is your software. If you're using anything gerber, (well, GOD HELP YOU to begin with) but you might wind up with all sorts of driver problems. I had to actually write my own driver code to get it to work, and even then it freaks occasionally and will just sit with an error code for up to a day. That's while turning everything on and off, restarting and actually REINSTALLING things as well. Best part, gerber (#$#@#$) said it was Roland's fault, and Roland, well... you try getting their customer service on the phone. I'm a persistant bugger, and even I GAVE UP.

To the devil with Roland.

Jackpine

I cut vinyl everyday and contour cut printed graphics with a CE3000Mk2. Not one problem! I have been using CleanCut blades and could not be happier with both. Roland has good equiptment. I cut with a PNC1000 for 14 years and had a GX-24. Both good....Went to the Graphtec when I began contour cutting.....it's very accurate. If you can swing it get a Graphtec 7000 series. I wish I had ( 30" ) but I will use what I have for now.

Rat_Fink

I have had both, but currently use the Graphtec FC700 - 100.
The Graphtec seems like a much more reliable machine.

good luck with whatever you choose.

R.F.

Taurusndixie

I have used a Roland PNC 1000a for 12-14 years and probably made $ 250,000.00.
Never had a minutes problem. Simple machine, load vinyl, press cut, when finished the
blade moves out the way. Bought a new Roland GX-24, screwed up machine I
have ever saw. Never know what it is going to do when " cut " is pressed.
Sometimes it runs 4-5 ft. out on the table and sucks it back up and starts cutting,
sometimes it runs 4 ft. out and starts cutting there. It does other things I can't explain too.
It wants to know if you are cutting from a roll or piece and how long and wide.
My old machine didn't need to know that, I have enough sense to know if there is enough
material in the machine. The GX-24 blade does not move out the way when cutting is
finished, this is a safety hazzard, not to mention scratching the vinyl against the blade when
unloading the machine.

The GX-24 has bells and whistles that is not needed. By the time I get through trying to tell
this thing what it wants to know my old PNC1000 would be half way through the job.
This is not an exaggeration either. After 3 days, I put this thing back in the box.

More bells and whistles is not better. Thanks Roland for more aggravation and worry
stacked on top of the million we have already. Course all new cutters today might be
like this ( I hope not )

I WOULD NOT buy a Roland GX-24. Take a look at the manual before buying any machine,
if you have to tell it 20 things to do and fix it a cup of coffee before it starts to work you don't
need it.

Anyone know how to turn this @#%! screwy sensing eye OFF !

Sorry about the ranting, but I hate this machine !

Last edited:

gvgraphics

I spent the last week researching both of these machines. Decided to go with the Graphtec. I just ordered it Sat. from sign warehouse and got the cutter, stand and shipping for $1148. I couldn't say no to that price for the CE3000Mk2 cutter.

Taurusndixie

GVGRAPHICS you got a deal on that cutter. Signwarehouse web site advertises that machine and stand for 1,700.00 plus.

Wanna trade for a new GX-24 ?