• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphtec CE5000-60 from SignWarehouse, should I be scared?

trakers

Wow, thanks for all the excellent responses.

To Geary in particular I sure didn't mean to sound negative or defensive. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

To TrustedImages in particular you said “Personally, I have a Graphtec. Not to knock the VE brand at all. But I chose to go name brand. I did not however on the software.”
Am I to take that as that the VE is *not* exactly the same hardware as the Graphtec? I am intrigued why a signwarehouse employee would not buy the house label if it were indeed the same exact hardware.

I would love to see a post from JBarraxSW with a definitive answer on the hardware.

Anyway to elaborate a bit.

First the pluses.

- I thank all of you fellas for steering me clear of the cheap Chinese cutters. When I started I had a top-of-the-mind budget of $1,000. I quickly found that was not realistic.

- Casually talking to other business acquaintances I have 3 jobs lined up already and my cutter isn't even ordered yet. Certainly these are what would be *very* simple jobs to you guys (single color on glass) but I am excited about them none the less. It seems I will have the only cutter within 25 miles and I hail from a Midwest town where people almost always buy local if they can.

- The salesman I have worked with at Signwarehouse has been good to me thus far. He has followed up with E-mails and phone calls and seems very knowledgeable.

Now the negatives (or better put the reasons I am apprehensive and am seeking opinions/past experiences)

- Signwarehouse is a long ways away from me. If worst came to worst I can't drive to take care of things in person. Again, Midwesterner that like face to face transactions.

- A vast majority of the limited posts I could find out and about on the web about signwarehouse were people moaning and groaning.

- I found this on their site.
http://www.signwarehouse.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=14
Now I can see charging full price for a "lost" key, something that was 100% my fault, but $150 for a defective key that was sent back to them. That just seems,,,, excessive.

- Our local distributor was poo-poo'ing them big time. It is my belief that it was basically a dog and pony show to induce FUD, but still was disheartening..

Some other thoughts I had:

I like to get value, probably like you fellas do also. If I can purchase an private label version of the CE5000 and truly get the exact same machine less the ARMS system and OEM cutting software *and* save $500 doing it, to me that is value. I pumped on Graphtec fairly aggressively on the phone but could not get verification if the Vinyl Express cutter was indeed the exact same hardware. She told me "They have different cut speeds and downforce". Yet the specs I found read the same. I have a feeling she just didn't know.

I've read posts that say yes exactly the same and I've read posts that say no they are not. So who do I believe? Wish I knew a service tech that could give an authoritive answer. Most salesmen will tell you what they think you want to hear to close the deal.

While the Vinyl Express unit intrigues me, will I take a $500 hit at resale time as compared to a Graphtec? I dunno.

If I need service after the warranty is gone does signwarehouse treat you fairly or do they try to gouge? I dunno.

Everyone tells me a good brand name cutter will last for years and years. If signwarehouse is no more, will Graphtec fix my cutter if it breaks? I dunno.

Some people tell me I worry about those type of things too much, but $2500 is a lot of money here in Hicksville, USA.

When I started this adventure, things were simpler as the cheap Chinese cutter I was looking at was, well, cheap. So if I screwed up the monetary loss would have been much less.

All that said, remember back to when you first started in the business. Remember the thrill? Hell I purchased my first sheets of Alumacorr recently and that may have been the highlight of my week. That stuff is cool.

I'm ordering Monday morning so I have 2 days to decide. Sounds like I'll be OK be it Vinyl Express or genuine Graphtec.

And, hey, if you made it all the way down here, congratulations and thanks for bearing with a worry-wort.

TrustedImages

You should be a worry wart! It's a big decision to make. Even if you are going to do it on the side and not full time yet you are still embarking on a new journey.
Honestly, I went with the Graphtec because I got it cheaper than I would the VE...lol...that's really the only reason.

There are differences between the Graphtec and the VE. The VE does not come with ARMS. It's something that has to be added prior to shipment. It does not come with any window drivers. It can't be used in conjunction with Corel or Adobe like the Graphtec. You have to use some sort of design software with it. I honestly don't know what software other than LXI or Flexi will work with the VE. I know that it does not have the same drivers as the Graphtec. They do take the same blade. And the same blade holder.
It's really up to you. It's just something you have to weigh out. Oh! And your concern with what would you do if you had issues, you can't drive here. Well, most things on a plotter that go wrong can be replaced by you. Unless it's like the motherboard or something. If that were the case you would simply send it in and they'd repair it and then send it back. As for after warranty, depending upon what package you get you can have up to a 3 year warranty....hopefully by then you'd be big enough to expand and you'd need a bigger machine! But if not I know the parts aren't that expensive and no they don't gouge.

mladams7259

Go with the graphtec and forget about it. Dont forget that if you buy the VE, graphtec does NOT provide support. only signwarehouse will. If you buy the Graphtec you can get support from either.

TrustedImages

That is a true statement. SW is the only one that can provide support for the VE....Graphtec does not support it. It's not their product. It's SignWarehouse's product.

signage

If you buy a Graphtec you can most likely find a local dealer/tech that would work on it, the VE well if SW went out of business you are SOL!

Jackpine

I bought equipment from JBarraxSW when he was with SSK. It was a first rate deal with very complete information. He knows his stuff. I would buy from him or SW for equipment. I bought from SSK and not from SW at the time because of the sale response and knowledge I received. Both had the same products and SW actually had a better deal with price and software. I did not buy from the sales person because they could not or would not answer my question. Jerry Barrax did. There are two others from SSK's former staff with SW now and they WILL make a difference with me for future equipment. I have a CE3000Mk2 and it is a very good cutter. It would be a good choice. Do your homework and you won't go wrong.

Last edited:
S

Sign-Man Signs

Traker, Take my advise. We own 4 of these Lynx x60. No problems in 4 years. Package comes with software which flexi. $1400.00 dollars. Has the best media handler in the world.Here's the link.

http://signwarehouse.com/specials/lynx_packg.htm

I'd stay away from the Q series. Go for the Lynx. I'm not a big Sign Warehouse person but this is the best deal if your looking for speed and reliabilty. Just my 2 cents. I've been dealing with SW for about 8 years now and that going out of business is like George Bush syaing the Iraq's had WMD's, ain't happen in'

TrustedImages

The Lynx machine is no long available with a stand. It is just a desktop model. If you are looking for the tracking it's not going to happen with the Lynx unfortunetly anymore.

Techman

The graphtec has interupted grit rollers. That makes it difficult to use odd sized scraps. You either have to have a peice that fits over the gaps between the rolles or its wasted.

Go look at the summa cutter. ITs better IMHO. One place to deal with. Never a hassle to deal with the persons there. Impecabble reputation. Instant response. If you ever have a problem, (and thats not very likely).. They will handle the problem as expected. And that is without questions.

Another point to look at. Some machines are billed as 24" machines but actually are not. They either will take a 24" wide material but only cut less than 22" of it. OR they cannot fit a 24" wide material in it. Meaning you have to purchse 20" material. Either way you lose. Then the speed issue. This means nothing. A machine running at top speed will jam because the material simply cannot get out of its own way fast enuf. IT wads up.

There is nothing worse than to spend some nice money on a cutter that requires a call to tech supprt right out of the box. To me that is a fate worse than death. CAll tech support. leave a message. Wait for a call back if they ever do. Meanwile the job just sits.

And then. Down pressure. 500 grams of down is nothing valuable if the cutter cannot pull against the pressure. Some cutters brag about the high down pressure thay can exert, but they cannot use it to cut heavy masking because the power is not there or the belts are not heavy enuf.

I have an Anagraph which is now called Advanced Plotting Devices. IT has one copmplete grit roller all the way across the machine. One could not imagine just how nice this feature is. This machine is just about as good as they get. It uses real bearings and bushings (not plastic) in the important areas. If I could observe this ADP cutter to see if is as good as the Anagraph then I would mention to take a look a it. If I were to get a new cutter. I would look at summa or the new ADP machine.

Its nice to have a lot of features but they are not the real value in a machine. The real value is: how often do they break down. And if they do who fixes it and will there be a hassle. And can you get standard parts without paying huge prices? For example. Pinch wheels and wear strips will be need to be changed. No way out of it. One low priced cutter has pinch rollers wheels that cost $60 bux to replace. and a wear strip that costs over $50. (last I heard) How about replacing the carraige belt? Will it cost $140. or will it cost $70. Is the low priced machines using a thin easily stretched belt? Once that belts stretches it will never cut accurately again. And finally can you take apart the machine to replace it or does it have to be returned to a shop?

Are the pinch wheels really thin and leave marks in premium vinyl or are they over 1/4 inch wide and never lave marks?
Just for contrast.

Another higher named cutter charges just $20 for the rollers bearings and matching shims and only $12 bux for a wear strip.

And finally. Resale value. If that ever comes about what will happen to the warranty? One supplier simply will not carry over a warranty. The machine breaks and there will be no support whatsoever and it has very low resale value. Those in the know will avoid your machine. A high end machine purchased from a good dealer like Summa will carry its warranty. Some will say,, I never plan to resell. Well that is true but things change. Lots of machines sell used all the time. Be sure to ask what the warranty transfer rights are. you may be surprised.

TrustedImages

The CE5000 accepts media up to 28" but acutally cuts 23.8" so you lose .20 inches. (not 2")
Cutting protection strip replacement is $24.00. The blades are $11.00.

trakers

Well, I think I have answered my own question and that answer is a resounding NO.

I ordered my Graphtec 5000 this morning along with some starter supplies.

Bob Allen was my salesman and I am pleased with the outcome thus far.

It is always difficult to determine if any salesman is sincere, but I believe Bob was/is genuinely interested in pleasing the customer. Certainly there must be a hefty commission on an order of this size and any of us running our own businesses know it helps to rub a little honey around during the pre and actual sale transaction, however I feel Bob possesses some of the same important attributes we treasure here in the Midwest.

They say what is truly important is that the customer feels they were treated fairly and has confidence any issues will be quickly resolved. I feel that way on both.

My cutter and supplies have been packed and I just received an E-mail that they are shipping today. I look forward to breaking that baby out on Wednesday morning.

So for anyone looking to buy a cutter, I would recommend Bob and Signwarehouse. If anything causes that to change, I'll let you know, but at this juncture I don't foresee any future problems.

Last edited:

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
The graphtec has interupted grit rollers. That makes it difficult to use odd sized scraps. You either have to have a peice that fits over the gaps between the rolles or its wasted.

Not quite. At least on my machine the rightmost grit roller is sufficiently long so as to span the distance between at least two of the other smaller grit rollers. This allows you to load media of virtually any width within the range of the machine by properly positioning the pressure rollers. Quite clever actually.

Techman

rightmost grit roller is sufficiently long

Does it cover the media sensor enuf to run ANY size you wish?

Can you move the scrap positioning to the midle of the cutter thus allowing the user to user other parts of the wear strip rather than the right most section? This is important to me because wearing the wear strip evenly seems better than having to replace it just for 3 inche worn out section.

I know this may be just a minor point but still it is something that could be improved upon if they were so inclined.

dswanson

Certainly there must be a hefty commission on an order of this size

Don't be so sure about that "hefty commision"...the money is made on consumable products. I have no knowledge of your vendors commision structure but I know for a fact that some suppliers pay a salary and a whopping 1/2 of a percent commission, hardly hefty in my eyes, makes you understand why they call you consistently to purchase consumables.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Does it cover the media sensor enuf to run ANY size you wish?

Yup, any size at all. The sensors, front and back, align with the left edge of the right, long, roller. This being the case you can load any size within the machine's limits.

As far as loading here or there depending on whim, no. At least not the way I think you mean. I guess you could if you turn off the media sensors, simple enough to do from the control panel. But if the media sensors are enabled you must at least cover the left edge of the rightmost roller. Running sans sensors is really not a big deal as long as you make sure you have sufficient media loaded.

The Sign Dude

Hi Trust I found the Invoice where I bought my plotter and it had the name of my sales rep. Her name was Lori Trust. Just curious if she is still there? Shacreda was the one who got everything somewhat straightened out and Taffy was the customer Service rep.
Thought you might want to know. I talked with Jerry Barrax today. I eplained what went on with my purchase and got a generic excuse as I figured I would. Not saying he wasnt a nice guy but there didnt seem to be any concern for the seriousness of the situation and how the customer was treated. Its true im not a $10k a month customer for them but I was a customer to say the least.
Thanks

TrustedImages

Hi Trust I found the Invoice where I bought my plotter and it had the name of my sales rep. Her name was Lori Trust. Just curious if she is still there? Shacreda was the one who got everything somewhat straightened out and Taffy was the customer Service rep.
Thought you might want to know. I talked with Jerry Barrax today. I eplained what went on with my purchase and got a generic excuse as I figured I would. Not saying he wasnt a nice guy but there didnt seem to be any concern for the seriousness of the situation and how the customer was treated. Its true im not a $10k a month customer for them but I was a customer to say the least.
Thanks

I looked in to your account today and waited for you to call but you didn't. I'm not saying who was right and who was wrong on all accounts on a public forum. But there certainly were some things in your story that did not add up to what your account history. Not saying we were not wrong because in some ways we certainly were. But not quite in all the ways you said we were. If you'd like to discuss it further you have my contact information and I will be more than happy to help you.
Yes, your sales rep is still there. In fact some things in your story were so off that I didn't realize I am the one that sold you your equipment. I thought as I read it how horrible it was and if I'd been the sales person I certainly would have remembered. But that's how off it was. I was your sales rep. Things that you said were true but not everything or close to everything. As I said you have my contact information and are welcome to contact me to discuss it. I won't get in to a battle on a public forum.

Darklight

I am still very new to this biz, but my experience with the people at SignWarehouse in Denton (Tx) has been good. I drove over on a Saturday and they were more than happy to spend time, show off the various equipment, and help me out. My wife and I are definately small-time biz, but Frank and a couple of others were very helpful. Cant say Ive had such ease on the phone when sent to (wherever) random sales hack you get, but face to face, or to pick up the phone and deal with the guys I met, they've been great so far.