• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

greetings from www.esigns.com

300mphGraphics

is a member here under a different name who, for obvious reasons, wishes to remain anonymous.
Well they're getting their moneys worth with all the times you've typed their web addy. Members with multiple memberships at most other forums get the boot, not favored trade status. I prefer the business model that links to businesses that help signmakers, not compete with them. You have to do what you have to do, and I respect that, I just hope it doesn't become the norm.

Flame

Confusing.... purely confusing. But I must apologize for the slam esigns. I was unaware of you having already dealt with Fred. And while I still disagree with your business model, it doesn't matter as I was a touch out of line in my greeting of you.

alanzhao

Don't we all want a site like this? Some people are jelous because they don't have one or they can't make one.

Don't we like Wal-mart or eBay? There is good reason for business model like that to exist.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Well they're getting their moneys worth with all the times you've typed their web addy. Members with multiple memberships at most other forums get the boot, not favored trade status. I prefer the business model that links to businesses that help signmakers, not compete with them. You have to do what you have to do, and I respect that, I just hope it doesn't become the norm.

They do here too and I gave this a lot of thought before allowing it because I knew it would stir up a hornet's nest. The difference is that that information has been disclosed.

Big House Signs

The design of the website is cool but the cheapness of the product disturbs me. It's wholesale pricing. Oh well, nothing I can do except be thankful people in my town like to support local business and appreciate personalized service.

gnemmas

The online design software actually is the best one I seem so far. Better than the $4 grand Sitesite. Good job on that part.

Pricing wise, check out SignsUs dotcom as comparison. Their prices are a lot higher and still doing quite well.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, this is certainly clever, but maybe for the wrong reasons. At this site, you get the customer to determine his own ugly layout and design and then you produce it for them without ever talking to them. No intervention whatsoever. Less overhead. Less control. So, the customer gets whatever they ask for. No one’s is responsible for the outcome except for the poor sole that doesn’t know what they’re doing to begin with.

You get paid for doing absolutely nothing except furnishing the end result of a site survey.

I don’t see this as a threat to most shops mainly because people for the most part don’t know what they’re doing and need someone to do it for them.

:Oops:Those that get a handle on this, such as design studios, home do-it-yourselfers and other sign shops will use this site to design the sign….. press ‘Print Page’, print it out and then take it to a real sign shop where they will fine tune it.

As Jon pointed out…. What do these people really want ??

For the most part a ‘Visual’ so they can go shopping locally.

No, I see this as a helpful tool for most shops because their potential clients will bring in better drawings or prints now. Price won’t matter because not everyone is looking for ‘CHEAP’…. just a free design to shop around.

:thumb: Thank you esign for enabling John/Jane Doe the ability to bring us a better version of their ideas.

alanzhao

it's relatively easy to do in Flash....

how many years of exp. do you have in Flash? A professional web design firm will quote it at least 10+ grand to do it here in US and a time span of 2 month. Besides there is more than Flash, there is server side scripting too. I am speaking it solely on experiences because I've worked on the similar project. I suspect that the program will output vector art (possible in Flash) directly that can open up in Illustrator or Coreldraw because the owner said "the design will be send to printer straight". This is not easy.

esigns program is the best I've seen so for compare to:

signsus
buildasign
speedysign

there is potential.

Billct2

I don't like these cheap sign sites anymore than I liked the old snappers who lettered trucks for half the price of everyone else. They're still sucking off the easy sign work that used to provide lots of revenue, and clients that could be upsold and/or repeat for better work.

Marlene

I just feel really uncomfortable doing business with a company that has no address, no location and is a member hidding under a different name so you don't even have a sense of who you are doing business with. When I buy, I like to know that the company is a real company and that if there are any problems, I know where to find them. For the type of stuff that they are doing, it wouldn't be a bad source for those quick, pound them out banner request that I get and the price is OK. Just don't think that I would give them a chance as it's just too up in the air as to who you are buying from.

Techman

most of you are barking up the wrong tree.
This website will never bother any of you.
Most of you are worried about nothing in the grand schem of things. These kinds of sites come and go every day. It just so happens you know about this one because of private business deal. Personally it is none of my business and I dotn beleive it is anyoen else's business either.

Most of those who are concerned should be spending the time on learning how to better market the business rather than spending time criticising this single concept.

Go find the ebook called "blink" and take in some of those concepts and understand why the above mentioned site is of no concern to any of us.

dclet

6 plus years in flash and php, mysql.

"the design will be send to printer straight"

I believe that to be a crock. :) though I could be wrong.
I have seen some things done with xml to svg...not sure how well or speedy it could be....

$10,000 easy. To me not worth it....yes the site is well done,
but it's a pig...if anything it's over done, and in the end may actually frustrate the user. Either that or will become
more of a burden...is there anything in place to deal with potential problems, unhappy customers...your dealing with something that can become a huge nightmare....it's a nice idea but....

https://www.myboatsign.com/ - flash
http://www.customsigngenerator.com/ - php and probably started it all.
http://70005the00.clickprint.com/ - flash
http://www.custom-vinyl-lettering.net/ - Java
http://myboatlettering.com/ - flash
http://doityourselflettering.com/create/ - Java

it's all well documented. :)

Last edited:

alanzhao

good to know someone is expert here in Flash.

I saw the sites you(dclet) listed. None of them are really more intutive or user-friendly than esigns' even though they're "well documented". I personally hate Java. A program like this shouldn't require user to read the manual. Esigns is far from finish, like basic product info, faq, contact, etc.., but it's a good start.

A serious problem esigns may face is what if a user upload a image for example 200x200 pixles and wanted a banner 4' x 4'?

PS for people who wants to get into online sign bussiness, it's risky because the infrastructure behind it is very complex. There are sales, marketing, billing, shipping ect problems have to work together perfectly even if you have a great site.

Good luck.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I just feel really uncomfortable doing business with a company that has no address, no location and is a member hidding under a different name so you don't even have a sense of who you are doing business with. When I buy, I like to know that the company is a real company and that if there are any problems, I know where to find them. For the type of stuff that they are doing, it wouldn't be a bad source for those quick, pound them out banner request that I get and the price is OK. Just don't think that I would give them a chance as it's just too up in the air as to who you are buying from.

But Marlene ... no one is asking you to do business with this site. The whole purpose of the post is to get the information picked up by search engine bots. And it is exactly this kind of reaction from most of the replies here that caused the member to request anonymity.

Let it go.

dclet

A serious problem esigns may face is what if a user upload a image for example 200x200 pixles and wanted a banner 4' x 4'?

exactly, so many variables to consider...

I am hardly the "expert" :)

yes the sites I listed are stripped down...
there is a reason for this, and it's has nothing to do with writing code....

I dislike java also, but it's sooooo damn prevelent, odds are .. what you want has already been done...and code snippets are your friend.

PS for people who wants to get into online sign bussiness, it's risky because the infrastructure behind it is very complex. There are sales, marketing, billing, shipping ect problems have to work together perfectly even if you have a great site.

well said indeed, or any online business for that matter

3dsignco

This is no different then what the Internet Print Companies are doing to the print industry. How many of you use Gotprint.. PS print or the plethoea of others for $14 per 1000 instead of going to your local printer for business cards. I know I'm guilty of it and we actually offer printing now to all our clients.
Things are changing wether we like it or not and his business model is nothing new.
I wish him the best of luck as the competition for these types of sites is going to get nothing but more competitive.

PVS

I believe that to be a crock. :) though I could be wrong. I have seen some things done with xml to svg...not sure how well or speedy it could be.... [/quote said:
I don't think it would be that hard. Have your software create an eps in a "Hot Folder" for a rip like onyx or similar and all you have to do is click the "Print" button.