• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hall of Fame threads

iSign

Here's another classic.. a predecessor experiment to the formation of NHB forums (NOTE: some image must be missing to explain the opening post, but post #48 clears that up)

...and another keeper, in my opinion, although it existed mostly to mourn a much more entertaining thread lost forever in a brief lapse of judgement... (& it opens with a link to another oldie but goodie that nearly pre-dates my participation here)

Marlene

OMG, just looking thru this thread and the memories of threads from the past is great, can't wait for our new section of the site to come to life. we have had some really good ones over the years! what a great idea Pat!

Jillbeans

That pizzeria thread was great. I don't even remember it or my adding to it.
I think Pat has a good idea.
Love....Jill

petesign

Hmm, it's like History 101 of Signs 101. My productivity today has been shot. :)

Interesting and funny reads in those links! :popcorn:

Amazing to see how some of you have actually mellowed a bit in the last few years.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Guidelines

First off, and I repeat ...

Any suggested thread will only be considered when it is submitted to me via a private message. Posted links in this thread will not be considered.

My primary concern has to do with classification of these resurrected threads. In looking at a few of them, some may well have been the thread that caused a new rule to be implemented, or that will need to be moved to a No Holds Barred category because they contain political, religious, language or other potentially offensive material. My secondary concern is whether the forum itself should be all premium or whether to put some in an open forum. I lean towards all premium but I am open to your comments.

Finally, I am concerned with the potential to offend or harm any member and what to do when and if removal requests are received. Again, comments are welcome.

Bigdawg

Just Me
I think premium only - with a warning that the content may be offensive. I can think of at least one thread I was involved in that devolved to a NHB slugout with a certain member - and there are many others that are totally unsuitable for the open forum.

Removal? Well... that's a toughie. Sure I'd like to erase the thread I got banned on... or a few other posts that weren't the best reflection of the real me. But that's part of my Signs 101 history. So instead of removal... can we maybe just put them back to their proper place in the annals of Signs 101 instead of deleting?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I think premium only - with a warning that the content may be offensive. I can think of at least one thread I was involved in that devolved to a NHB slugout with a certain member - and there are many others that are totally unsuitable for the open forum.

Removal? Well... that's a toughie. Sure I'd like to erase the thread I got banned on... or a few other posts that weren't the best reflection of the real me. But that's part of my Signs 101 history. So instead of removal... can we maybe just put them back to their proper place in the annals of Signs 101 instead of deleting?

To clarify, I am not suggesting that I would remove the original thread. But copying it to a Hall of Fame forum would be calling attention to it and some threads would almost certainly draw complaints as a result.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Here ya go, Fred.

If someone pulls one up like Doug has done already, what's the difference if someone's feelings are going to get hurt again whether you do it..... or a member does it ??

This kinda makes you responsible regardless if you have a special category or not.

I can understand what you're saying and it does seem problematic. Perhaps in the title of the Hall of Fame section, you could put a disclaimer as these are no longer active..... and not let anyone be able to add more to it/them. However, if they are truly open threads, you have no control if you've opened Pandora's Box.

One of the neat things I noticed was the vast amount of members that are no longer posting and the advice and wisdom they once shared. Where are they ?? Have they moved on, gone out of business or just departed. That's the part I think would be hard to control, if someone isn't here to defend themselves and people just start in on people no longer with us. The heat of the moment won't be there and I'm sure many people have made many amends with each other and this could stoke them up all over again.

Toughie, Fred. neat idea, but can get very hairy at times. You'll really have to be careful, because if someone wants you to put their find into the Hall of Fame and you deny it, they can just bring it up for discussion anyways. I guess it's one way to dust off the old files...........

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Here ya go, Fred.

If someone pulls one up like Doug has done already, what's the difference if someone's feelings are going to get hurt again whether you do it..... or a member does it ??

This kinda makes you responsible regardless if you have a special category or not.

I can understand what you're saying and it does seem problematic. Perhaps in the title of the Hall of Fame section, you could put a disclaimer as these are no longer active..... and not let anyone be able to add more to it/them. However, if they are truly open threads, you have no control if you've opened Pandora's Box.

One of the neat things I noticed was the vast amount of members that are no longer posting and the advice and wisdom they once shared. Where are they ?? Have they moved on, gone out of business or just departed. That's the part I think would be hard to control, if someone isn't here to defend themselves and people just start in on people no longer with us. The heat of the moment won't be there and I'm sure many people have made many amends with each other and this could stoke them up all over again.

Toughie, Fred. neat idea, but can get very hairy at times. You'll really have to be careful, because if someone wants you to put their find into the Hall of Fame and you deny it, they can just bring it up for discussion anyways. I guess it's one way to dust off the old files...........

I think the threads would have to be closed with no additional posts permitted. Purely a trip down memory lane. Any member can bring up an old thread for discussion whether it's reposted in the Hall of Fame or not, so that's not a concern.

As far as what has happened to old members, some simply move on or have found things they don't like about Signs 101. I think many just realize that they've put in too much time and decide to drop out of participating. But, judging from our telephone sales experience with sign companies in general, about 50% of the companies on our customer list no longer have a working phone. The economic downturn took a heavy toll.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
putting them in the premium section would definatly bump up subscription rates.....heck i might even have to subcribe....

signage

Fred Definitely lock them down and maybe remove the title so no one can dig it back up and start posting. You know if they want to find it make them work for it rather than give them the easy way to find it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Fred Definitely lock them down and maybe remove the title so no one can dig it back up and start posting. You know if they want to find it make them work for it rather than give them the easy way to find it.

VERY good idea :thumb:

iSign

don't think the HOF is carbon copies... it's original threads, in some cases with new locks... so there would be no "other" copy to dredge & post in... just the one & only copy, in a new place (w/ locks... even if never locked before)

right?

I didn't send links to Fred yet, because I sorta hoped this would evolve to some random voting... but I guess that's a bit of a lofty goal for anarchy...

but I'll wait to try to assess the overall opinion of the sort of topics others would want to see submitted to Fred...

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
don't think the HOF is carbon copies... it's original threads, in some cases with new locks... so there would be no "other" copy to dredge & post in... just the one & only copy, in a new place (w/ locks... even if never locked before)

right?

No. My thinking is the original stays where it is archived and these would be copies with Closed attribute applied. The original threads, if still open would remain open.