• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hdu sign help!!!

BelangerSigns

Hey guys newbie to the forum here.I havent messed with any HDU signs but I've got a customer that wants some new wording put on a pre-existing sign. The problem is where they removed the previous lettering the clear silicone which held the letters on is still there also, The whole inside will need to be painted. I was wondering what type of paint is used on these and is there a trick to removing the silicone. I'm assuming this sign is HDU I know its not stucco or concrete I'm not sure what the correct name for this is. One more thing lol what is a good wholesaler for acrylic letters to go back on. Here is a picture as well. Thanks for any help.

AJ Belanger
Belanger Signs & Graphix

Attachments

• signkasey.jpg
    signkasey.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 115
Welcome from Southeast Alaska.......

Gemini lettering for your replacement letters (http://www.signletters.com/)

sense you are repainting the face you should be able to use a mild solvent and elbow grease to get the silicon off.

As far as what pain to use i believe a latex paint is preferred for hdu.

BelangerSigns

Awesome Thank you for the help. I'm assuming the letter i would use for this would be acrylic correct.

I just did about 730 sticker for NSHC Pharmacy in Nome, Alaska.

I'm so glad I found this site. I didn't mean to get into the sign biz but i got tired of paying a ton for race car graphix that were no where near what i had asked for so i bought a vinyl cutter 6 years ago and started doing my own next thing I know.... I'm trying to learn more about the commercial signage side to expand. Thanks again for your help! :)

BelangerSigns

Holy cow look at that M

Lol yeh I noticed that right off when I got there. I didn't say anything to them I'm just gonna fix it. The T on the other side is broken too. It's a pretty big apt complex so I fig a little extra may go along way. Apparently the folks that did it the first time weren't as particular as I am.

Techman

dryvet is colored when they spray it on..

Looks like you are in over your head on this one. When you scrub the silicon of that face you will leave a mark. Good luck on it because it will need a new coat of dryvet,,

Also any good cnc man could make some letters for that sign.

Craig Sjoquist

This might be a alliterative.

Cut, scrape, peel, .... a chemical to loosen silicone, since not tried that one test
get smooth as possible. ( Rapid Tack ) glue remover, but this rough has doubts 100% will come off without damage.

Apply panel to cover that area, apply letters on that.

Paint latex .. Since you do not know if latex or enamel, most likely latex for this type cause it is easier & latex will stick to old flat enamel.

That is how I would go after this, hope someone who has had this problem before chimes in.

Jillbeans

I didn't mean to get into the sign biz but i got tired of paying a ton for race car graphix

I think smashing into it with a race car would eradicate all of the silicone and most of the other letters.

visual800

IF they would have called me I would just make a capsule with wording and attach to cover up all that other stuff at bottom. no scraping no color matching and be done with it, if they do not want that WALK! Do not turn this into your problem!

GB2

Old Member
I believe denatured alcohol would be the thing to use to try to get the silicone residue off but you will very likely damage the surface before you get it completely off.

SignManiac

What exactly is being changed on the sign? That would determine how I would tackle the problem. I'd need more information before offering advice.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
IF they would have called me I would just make a capsule with wording and attach to cover up all that other stuff at bottom. no scraping no color matching and be done with it, if they do not want that WALK! Do not turn this into your problem!

this will be the best advice you will ever receive, other than maybe you shouldn't have mentioned the racecar thing.....

letterman7

this will be the best advice you will ever receive, other than maybe you shouldn't have mentioned the racecar thing.....
This, and it's definitely a dryvit-over-foam structure. Since we don't know what you've quoted, this is how I would approach it: tell the client the only way to do it correctly is to remove all the other letters, scrape and re-paint the sign. Powerwash it first. Paint with any good exterior latex (done this many times). Before you paint, fix the holes left by the other letters - fill with expanding insulating foam, trim excess, touch up with latex paint with some fine sand mixed in. Then re-paint. Re-hang the old letters or better yet, upsell them on a new look with either a full inside panel or new letters.

SD&F

I can assist you on letters. I would personally go with 1" HDU letters, which we produce here. I agree with the above only on the capsule to cover up the area that
has the silicone. I would not try to take that off; if you do it wrong you may remove part of the base(no good). You are going to have to take all those letters off to paint, so go with new lettering and paint and make it look amazing!
PM me if you need anything.

MikePro

pfft. does it really have to be a restoration project?!?

paint a piece of 1/8" aluminum with textured black/grey to match the background (or contrasting color, should you desire) and slap it on with welded studs/VHBtape/silicone. heck, doesn't even have to be aluminum... wood or HDU or PVC or DiBond will work just as well.

all this messing around with chemicals and scraping and whatnot, could just result in you digging yourself a heck of a hole. they just wanted new lettering on an existing sign? give them that. don't sell them on a signage restoration that you don't know how to tackle/bid properly, sell them on something simple and economical.