• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hdu sign help!!!

BelangerSigns

OK maybe I need to rephrase the questions.

I agree the panel with letters to cover up where the first letters were is the way to go. Second I was wondering about the paint because in some spots it is splotchy and fading. So I wanted to give them a price(option) of repainting it to spruce it up a bit and wanted to make sure I used the correct paint so it would last and not flake off. The sign has been painted before because there is over spray on the letters that are on there now. I would tape the letters that are on there up (shouldn't be a problem i've done paint and body work all my life) paint it and then apply the new panel w/ wording. I was just wondering if the silicone would come off easy or if there was a trick so I would no if no panel and just wording was an option. I definitely don't think i'm in over my head. I don't want my inexperience with hdu or dryvet to be mistaken for ignorance. I'm competent, just wanted to get some opinions. Research it before just flying off at the handle. I agree also that its NOT a restoration job (and lord i don't want it to be) just thought it'd nice to offer to repaint which would be affordable and a nice touch up. So I guess what my question boils down to is.... Latex paint will it stick to Dryvet and last? Also,where can I order Gemini Lettering? The main site says they only sell through dealers.

Not sure what you mean about not mentioning the race car. I meant i was tired of paying $600 for what I had specifically asked for and getting my numbers and sponsors back in Arial font with and outline. So I bought my own machine and honestly i've done really well. But its time to expand and this little job is a good starting point to get into the bigger commercial side.

Thanks for any and all advice critical or not, and the welcomes.
Have a wonderful night all.

AJ Belanger
Belanger Signs & Graphix

Jillbeans

...somehow, this offends me even more than your race car comment.
You are way out of your element, bidding on "fixing" a shabby sign that needs replaced, not knowing what type of paint to use, not knowing how to order Gemini letters, and not even knowing what a brush is.
This is exactly what's happened to a once-proud trade.
:rolleyes:
Make a patch, if you can figure out how to do it, or sub out a whole new sign.

BelangerSigns

...somehow, this offends me even more than your race car comment.
You are way out of your element, bidding on "fixing" a shabby sign that needs replaced, not knowing what type of paint to use, not knowing how to order Gemini letters, and not even knowing what a brush is.
This is exactly what's happened to a once-proud trade.
:rolleyes:
Make a patch, if you can figure out how to do it, or sub out a whole new sign.

WOW! Don't know what I, in my total of 8 post on here did to **** in your cornflakes, or for you to feel so offended. Maybe it's your own insecurity, the fact that your a "common" Yankee, or that you just need a hug. Unless I'm mistaken this is a forum for folks to share ideas, ask questions, and get advice. I'm assuming by your previous post that you immaculately knew every bit of sign making ins and outs from birth since you've obviously never had to ask a question. I have the right to ask for advice or questions, just as you have the right to keep your snide comments to yourself. I take it your mother never taught you if you don't have anything nice to say...don't say anything at all. Especially if your not adding any advice. With all your infinite sign wisdom I've yet to see you add any advice. It's not a shabby sign it's well built but someone ripped pieces off not knowing what they were doing. I know how to order Gemini letters I was wondering what was (in y'all's opinion) the best place to do business with and that was affordable. About the race car what in that offends you? Did you design one that I didn't know about if you did I'm sorry it looked like crap and cheap. (I tend to be overly honest) On anther note I checked out your website and to be honest as high up as our standing on your pedestal it's prob hard to see how infantile it looks. Yeh you've got talent painting but you are far from Picasso.

There s no need to replace the entire sign to add one sentence at the bottom. You may stick it to your customers but that's not how I treat my customers or how I do business. People like you are the reason I got into doing this. Your greed is what makes it a once proud trade you'd rather screw someone by selling them something they don't need and it's caused folks to research and realize they can provide a better service or do it theirselves.

Sorry for the rant but if your sole purpose in posting in this thread was to berate, belittle, and degrade what I do, then sweetheart as the saying goes "What Sally says about Susie, says more about Sally than Susie."

I'll ignore anything you have to say from here on out. Take your Fitch and go play somewhere else. And as us southerns say BLESS YOUR HEART :clapping:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jillbeans

I never claimed to be Picasso, but I can paint a damn nice sign without needing a computer. I'm no web designer, either, but at least I do have a site. Some day I'd like to hire Dan Antonelli to build me a new site.

When I started 28 years ago, there were no things such as sign forums. I'm pretty much self-taught. The computer stuff came later, and I am thankful for those signfolks who did help when I had simple questions about vinyl and color management.

I don't do race car lettering, period; the racers only want stuff as cheap as they can get, want to pay me with beer or just letting me put my name on the car somewhere...no thanks.
Most of them just buy their own plotters and become "sign makers" anyway.

When I see people like you coming on board the industry, it gets my hackles up.
You wouldn't let just anybody work on your race car, right? You would seek a professional, or at least some regular good old boy buddy who knows what they are doing.
People only care about cheap when it comes to signs these days.
Anyone who can buy a plotter or a printer can puke out computer ugly for $1/sq ft these days.

It has hurt my business a lot. And I am not about over charging customers.
It's not about greed for me at all...it's about aesthetics.
They get a good value from me and a good looking sign.
I could tell you how to fix that (like someone else said, I would just make a patch) but that sign has seen better days and would be better served just being replaced.
It's not even a nice sign.
That can be subbed out to a merchant member here, so you don't even have to worry about it.

I think you hit a nerve with me, and probably with a lot of others here as well, who have fought the hard fight and end up getting kicked in the teeth day in and day out but are not as outspoken as I am when it comes to signs and designing them.
It's not about north or south, either, it's about respecting a craft.

Jackpine

"Take your Fitch and go play somewhere else."
Ignorance must be bliss.

You do not have a clue. Reread post 29.

Last edited by a moderator:

signage

Awesome Thank you for the help. I'm assuming the letter i would use for this would be acrylic correct.

I just did about 730 sticker for NSHC Pharmacy in Nome, Alaska.

I'm so glad I found this site. I didn't mean to get into the sign biz but i got tired of paying a ton for race car graphix that were no where near what i had asked for so i bought a vinyl cutter 6 years ago and started doing my own next thing I know.... I'm trying to learn more about the commercial signage side to expand. Thanks again for your help! :)

This right here says a lot about your thinking of the Craft of sign making!

Now would you take your race motor/car to little Johnny down the street to build/repair it, he started building engines and repairing vehicles because he was tired of the old man down the road Charging too much to just loosen and tighten bolts!

BelangerSigns

Not sure what you mean about not mentioning the race car. I meant i was tired of paying $600 for what I had specifically asked for and getting my numbers and sponsors back in Arial font with an outline. So I bought my own machine and honestly i've done really well. But its time to expand and this little job is a good starting point to get into the bigger commercial side.

AJ Belanger
Belanger Signs & Graphix

See above $600 for 3 number 20" tall with an outline and two sponsors 10" I think Te fair today tats a little high.

I appreciate all the help for everyone who responded but, I can see this is not the place I want to ask for advise. I'll refrain from posting anything else on these forums. I'm sure the number of those who don't mind helping is larger than those who aren't. Thanks again good luck to you all.

BelangerSigns

I didn't mean to get into the sign biz but i got tired of paying a ton for race car graphix/QUOTE]

so, do you charge less then what you were being charged?

Absolutely I charge a fair amount to my customer I'm not in business to empty their pockets. $400 for a 4 color vinyl number (4) 2 color sponsors and installed at their shop. That includes fluorescent and prism. That's fair. I got into it to help the racers because I could see that markup was ridiculous. and charge fairly. Not to take advantage of people. I still make a profit and they get a nice looking car.

SD&F

I don't want to get in the middle of this because Jill does know her trade and based on all the posts she has, she has expertise. All that said, this monument looks like it is stucco and it can be totally refurbished to look new. You will need to take it down to the basics, cleaning, painting, replacing all letters, etc. It will take someone taking time to give the cutomer a quality product. I don't believe you will need to start from scratch....but maybe you should pass to someone who is knowledgeable in this area. Karma

Joe Crumley

There isn't any way to get all the silicone off a textured surface and you can't paint over it.

The fastest, cleanest and cheapest way to do a professional job is to remove the existing lettering and cover up the background with new panels.

I'd price this out in the same way as if were panels going on an exterior wall.

Techman

I didn't mean to get into the sign biz but i got tired of paying a ton for race car graphix

Don't know what you are doing
Stole your job from real sign person.
In over your head with this job and have no idea what to do about it.
and insult ever other person who does this for a living.

Then complain when you catch some flak. Good luck

anotherdog

There isn't any way to get all the silicone off a textured surface and you can't paint over it.

The fastest, cleanest and cheapest way to do a professional job is to remove the existing lettering and cover up the background with new panels.

I'd price this out in the same way as if were panels going on an exterior wall.

:rock-n-roll:+1

BelangerSigns

image.jpg

In case anybody wondered how it turned out.

And for those who are mad or hurt that I accidentally ended p in the sign business. I'll be glad to undercut your overly high prices and take your business from you. Don't know why everyone is so upset about that. That's how a lot of businesses in his country started. I also thought one of the great things about this country was starting a business and making it succeed. I have, I will, and will continue. Everyone starts somewhere as am I. So if you don't like it, suck it! All I did was ask for help or advice which I've seen a lot of people do on here and just because I took the initiative to start doing my race cars myself I'm a black sheep? That's fine. I'll take your business out from under you gladly. Good day.