• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Health Care Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

Signed Out

last year I paid $7284 for the year and my deductible was $11,000....

yes, $11,000

yes, i said $11,000

so, i want to check it out and see if i'm going to stop paying for everyone else and get myself a break....

Got in and signed up.

I am very happy with my results. I didn't get any government subsidies, but got a better deal on health insurance than I've had in years.

After all was said and done, I guess putting up with a crashing website for a few days was worth it. Streamlined and easy to understand, and much more competitive insurance options than have been previously offered to me from the insurance market.

Win in my book, and pocket book!

So how much did you save? $7284/$11,000 deductible sounds pretty high, even for NY. It is certainly higher than what I am currently paying in NY.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
$7284 was my premium , with the $11,000 deductable, I was paying every bill.

The last three years I had been putting $5,000 a year into my HSA (Health Savings Account). Over seven years of using the High Deductible Plan, my HSA stands at around 10K, This year I have just went through a rash of doctors visits for both me and my wife. They included MRI's, so I'm sure when those bills come in my HSA will take a beating.

I would say on average I was spending roughly $2500 a year out of my HSA, bringing my total health care costs to $9784 a year.

The new plan I got is the platinum plan, ZERO deductible, with a prescription plan, my old plan had no prescription plan. the cost is $733 a month.

I haven't been to the doctor in years because of the high deductible plan, and when i had to go this year it was a complete pain in the a$$ trying to find costs of MRI's before I went. These doctors won't even tell you how much it is going to cost, and then after the fact you get extra bills from doctors you never saw but supposedly read the MRI and sent you a bill.

I only played the High Deductible Plan because I couldn't afford the type of insurance most people enjoy. They wanted $1400 a month for plans like that.

You can say it's the government and it's bound to fail, but I see the direct result of a good idea, and i'm glad to say I will be reaping the benefit of my vote.

F the 1 percent

artbot

this doesn't have anything to do with the "1%". this is about REDISTRIBUTION OF HEALTH.

1. the people that will see this as taxation without representation will be the millions of young healthy taxpayers that can barely afford rent and their car payment being asked "innocently" to just make a small health insurance payment.

these young people have almost no health costs whatsoever. yet they will be feeding billions of dollars into a system that is broken and in no mood to be fixed.

as far as a mass exodus of voters goes, i see it as being the young liberals that suddenly can't go to starbucks or buy a pair of jeans because they are a bit low on funds after each paycheck. all due to the ACA.

2. now skip to scenario number two. this young healthy person goes to their employer and demands a few hundred more a month to return them to their original state which results in a new tax on small business.

___

one thing is for sure in society. you cannot take an entitlement away. and this is the failure of democracy. it's a system in which votes are slowly purchased one by one by entitlement. or purchased through massive campaign advertisement funding.

there's no debating if everyone should have health insurance. the debate is not liberal vs conservative. the debate is can this country survive it's current political system(?).

Attachments

• zeros.jpg
    zeros.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 78

ddarlak

Go Bills!
the debate is can this country survive it's current political system(?).

name a type of government that can succeed.

there will never be the perfect system until we are all robots, so, until then, i'll take ours.

there will always be a need for more than there is, it will only get worse, the best we can do is survive

brush1

artbot

What about this healty, young without of insurance now?

They may have accident, discover cancer....etc....
Let them end on the street.....it is not so many of them.....most are healthy....

WildWestDesigns

artbot

What about this healty, young without of insurance now?

They may have accident, discover cancer....etc....
Let them end on the street.....it is not so many of them.....

Speaking as one without insurance and haven't had insurance for many many years (nor been to a doctor in the same amount of time (actually maybe longer)) and who still doesn't have a better situation with this new law, in fact, my taxes have now gone up because of this new law, I still don't like this law.

The economics of this law aren't there. The CBO doesn't thing so either in the long term. More people are going by emotion then economics. I can understand that, believe me I can, but that still doesn't change change that as it is now, I don't see a bright side to this when you strip away the emotion that is attached to healthcare.

artbot

the USA could fix the issue by just passing a bill for insuring those with previous conditions for the 20-65 year old set and then allow competition across state lines. this person will recover and pay 10s to 100s of thousands of dollars in taxes over the next 20-40 years as well. that is a no brainer. this demographic is not the problem.

the problem lies in that our country believes that we've failed as a society if we have to tell grandpa or grandma that this "whatever the disease" will be the big one that takes them out. the usa even fights right to die legislation. look at this graph. the problem is the billions spent insisting that an 80 year old live to 85 ... and continue voting?

there's a number cruncher somewhere that reports to these congressman, senators, and presidents and only sees things from a single peephole, "how will this effect my next run for office." that's it. to hell with the next 50 years. just "get me re-elected".

Attachments

• 20091213health_care_costs_elderly_412.gif
    20091213health_care_costs_elderly_412.gif
    17.4 KB · Views: 100

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
My hard earned tax money at work.

It was reported the web development was outsourced to Canada so that means it was paid in Loonies.
So (I think) you have to move the decimal point over to the left a few places, $6.34 sounds like a deal...

Would have been easier to just give the $600 mil to the people who need insurance.

wayne k
guam usa

ddarlak

Go Bills!
well,

obamacare has saved me financially.

I found out i had prostate cancer. I went thru the testing while still under my 11,000 ded. policy and had to pay $6,000 in doctor bills at the end of last year.

the plan my insurance co. offered me this year was $10,308 for a $9,000 ded policy.

the plan i got on the exchange was $8796 with a ZERO deductable.

I had the surgery jan 8th and have been back to the hospital 3 times with complications, I would have spent the $9,000 in deductable already.

the plan that was offered to me was a joke, the affordable care act fixed it, and i for one am glad i voted for it.

gnemmas

This is a zero sum game. Insurance company is not going to lose money.

So, you saved on premiums, others have to pay for your share.

My young employees (under 30) were paying $150 a month, under "affordable care", their premiums more than doubled. So they choose to go without, opt to pay the penalty.

The proper name should be: "the Affordable Care Act for the Sick,Old and Low income". or "Stick it to the Young, Healthy, middle incomers".

David Wright

This is a zero sum game. Insurance company is not going to lose money.

So, you saved on premiums, others have to pay for your share.

My young employees (under 30) were paying $150 a month, under "affordable care", their premiums more than doubled. So they choose to go without, opt to pay the penalty.

The proper name should be: "the Affordable Care Act for the Sick,Old and Low income". or "Stick it to the Young, Healthy, middle incomers".

You nailed it. There are many that don't care about anything except how they come out when gov benefits are given.

player

After reading this thread I feel bad for you guys.

Health care is pretty important and the large payments and deductibles must really be tough to deal with.

I am glad when I get old someone isn't going to decide fixing my health issue isn't financially profitable so I should be left to die.

Some things in society don't fit the Harvard MBA profit model, but are good for society. Not everything needs to make a 1%er more money.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
what i was paying was not affordable, nor did it provide me with much coverage and it was going up 25% a year for the last 7 years, while the coverage was getting worse.

something had to break, with a family of four, i had to have coverage, but i was at the whim of the insurance companies. they could charge whatever they wanted, and they did.

in the 18 years i've owned my business i figure i paid roughly $120,000 in health insurance, constantly choosing the worst plan because it was the cheapest. while never even using it.

it simply was out of control and needed to be addressed.

when i was young, i paid thru my nose for car insurance, why, because i was in the high risk age group. now that i'm older it's 1/3 of the cost.

now that i'm older my health insurance is more expensive than and 18 year old, why? because i'm in a risky age group. at least now its closer to what will actually work for me. you say it doesn't work for a younger person? i guess that's their choice, it's alot easier to be risky at 18 with health care insurance than 45.....

the model the insurance compaines were using before the affordable care act was out of control, which is why they needed to be fixed....

fresh

For everyone who blames the government if their premiums went up... Why not blame your insurance company? Seriously. They are making MORE money now, they love the fact that they have a product that sells itself. The only reason they raised premiums is because there was no law to stop them from doing it. You want a smaller government? Don't complain that you only get part of what you want, because the other side only got part of what they want, too. And we all suffer for it.

You could also support the idea of universal and/or affordable healthcare, and work WITH your local government and legislators to solve the problem of skyrocketing healthcare costs.

But nah, its much easier just to sit here and complain about it.

4 years ago after my husband had a 6 way bypass I decided to get health insurance since I'm not so young anymore and it was a bit of a scare. (he already had it through work).

I always paid out of pocket. I am not or have ever been rich so when I say "out of pocket" I mean I asked to the doctors, surgeons, hospitals, etc. along the way to except payments. they always did and I always paid.
Paying medical care could put a strain on finances and although it was tough and I qualified for assistance, I never took food stamps, welfare or any type of government handout.

I was never denied treatment for anything so all this talk about people not being able to get healthcare is another lie. It took me 5 years to pay off a hysterectomy but it got paid.

When I first got insurance 4 years ago (a 48 year old woman...then) it was $189.00 per month with a $1500 deductible and eye care $15.00 doctor visits.

Over the net few years it crept up and I took higher deductibles to keep the premium down. I ended up with a $5000 deductible, $285.00 premiums and paying $35.00 doctor visits.

So here we are today, the "Affordable" care act is law...I am MANDATED to buy something I can no longer afford. I was told by someone that "I can keep my plan and my doctor if I like them"...well....I can't keep my doctor, she decided not to accept this crap and moved on and my plan is no longer available. I got a letter in the mail saying that if I want to "keep" my plan (as close to it as I can get) it's going to cost me $964.00 per month with a $5000.00 deductible. Gee...that doesn't sound so "Affordable" to me.

Needless to say, I'm not buying into this insurance fiasco, I'm going without.
Also, Not that our caring president would ever come to Idaho but if he does I have a mind to throw a rotten potato at him and promise that "he can keep it"

Status
Not open for further replies.