• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hello from a newspaper guy in Texas

Marlene

Fred always sums things up nicely. you can't come here and hope to get any help when most of us have been victims of the thing that you are planning to do. for some reason, the people who do it have no clue just what it is that they have done. there probably isn't much of a chance of explaining it to you. buy your machine and do your thing, just don't expect us to say congrats or be of much help when you can't figure out why things aren't as easy as you thought they would be. there's a good reason why it takes a pro to do what we do.

Cadmn

well they don't even print their own paper.so why didn't you buy & run your own Presses? too hard? well get in line cause ours ain't easy. I've done layout for full color paper for years & It ain't no where near the same. you would be saving more if you bought your own press & printed the paper your selves.

Rhino

Just a quick thought here:

Isn't it illegal to advertise on government property (ie. School busses)??

wcalvert

The problem is your reason for being here in the first place. Despite our name possibly causing confusion for some, we are a community of individuals engaged in the craft and business of sign making as professionals. Our livelihoods depend on improving our skills and developing our talents. Otherwise, we are faced with losing our livelihoods to do-it-yourselfers and amateurs who perceive what it takes to create signs as easy.

The perception of most of our members who have commented in your thread is that you are not a professional sign maker and are here to ask us to help you in your efforts to bypass the products and services we each individually offer. Instead of seeking out a professional level vendor to supply you and assist you in any number of ways, who has already invested in the equipment and the learning curve, and who would likely improve the results, satisfaction and overall return from your new contract, you still seem to feel that this is not something of enough value to consider.

You are in the trap of knowing enough to be dangerous. You have established your product valuations from internet browsing and have concluded that anything beyond the production of your printed vinyl at whatever unknown quality is all any vendor will do for you ... at least that you place any value upon.

Do you not see how we as individuals and as a community would disagree with your perceptions? The contract you are so proud of that you feel is somehow outside the province of the professional community represents lost business to us. Why would you think we would greet you with enthusiasm or assist you in an enterprise that is going to dilute our market?

I do very much see where you are coming from. I would think that you would welcome anybody that wants to print because of you having something like a newbie forum.

If I was here as someone as a prospective signs business, I would have been welcome with opened arms. In effect, that is what I would be doing, with myself being my only customer. I would not be diluting the market at all, because I'm not reducing anybodies actual business, just lost potential opportunity (albeit a large one).

I would think that instead of being thrown under the bus, which is effectively what happened (because of my fault partially) I would be directed to some large-format FAQ and how my sophomoric knowledge is far too immature at this time to make any type of decision for the future.

Fortunately, I had some very nice members contact me via PM and not only offer my advice, but their personal emails if I had any further questions or wanted some advice. They made a few choice comments about some of the individuals on the board here that merely confirmed what I had already found out.

As it stands right now, it is probably in our best interest to sub the work out for the next 4-6 months and in that time re-evaluate the pros/cons of going in-house for the print work. We probably will buy our own hardware and hire an experienced sign designer (creating a job in your industry FYI).

I really feel no ill will towards anyone here, and I want to thank those that helped me again, and I wish you all the best of luck.

S

Stan B

go google "vinyl banners", you can get $2 sq ft + free ship

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Now this response [#64] sort of burns my butt, because now you’re insinuating that you’re getting behind the scenes help and won’t share YOUR new found knowledge with the rest of us. So, this is really becoming a one-way street with you. You want us to believe that someone with experience and know-how is giving you help when in fact…. your very own findings, along with these tutors of yours have figured out what the majority of people here invited you to do in the first place….. ?? What the heck kinda BUNK is that ?? I don’t believe for a minute… that there is a professional sign person associated with this site or any other site that will help you take business away from another fellow sign shop, regardless of their size.

I’m not here to argue with you that you should or shouldn’t go into the sign business…. afterall it’s a free country and you do it however you see fit with your company. However, your take on being partially at fault is total nonsense…. you’re fully to blame for your own outcome. Take responsibility for your own actions and try not mis-blaming others for their directness.

Pointing fingers at certain individuals and trying to make things appear that you have some inside alliance with an elite force is also very comical. If you can’t come out and say things, don’t be a little immature spoiled brat again and make false accusations with make-believe comments. He said/ she said/ they said………. Grow Up Buddy. I would venture to say, this is just another notion of your imagination just like the one that you are making a sound business decision.

Nonetheless, but last, may I please thank you for showing us our erred ways of dealing with you and how we should approach someone of your level in the future. You just keep justifying your ways of doing business and eventually the rest of the world will bow to you.

Good Luck……………… :U Rock:

iSign

Gino, maybe it's some pussy's who have been blasted by the likes of you and I and the other tell-it-straight folks around here... but who don't have the kahones to speak to us... so they're blowing smoke up this other guy, in private, to settle some kind of score in their own mind :Big Laugh

Gino

Premium Subscriber
As much as that makes sense Doug, I don’t believe anyone would want to help such a fool. If someone doesn’t like me, you or anyone else here for speaking up and telling the truth either in this thread or any other thread…. they aren’t worth a Damn in my book if they have to say it through a puppet [dummie]. There is no one on this site that would stoop that low… to wanna make friends with this kid and tell ‘Inside’ information [whether it be true or false] just to get at someone else. That is smaller minded than this kid’s delusions.

No, it’s not hard to spot people that don’t have a clue about life, let alone a handle on their environment. Some people just play with themselves too much.

First he has parents, then he only has one. He uses terms that are purposely tossed around to make himself feel good. Then he edits them out and hides behind something many of us cannot see any longer. He’s been told by about 25 different people how to handle his situation in the same language he came here using. He doesn’t like that people find him disgusting…including the head cheese here and yet….still he back-pedals. He enjoys using the ‘Quoting’ feature and then talking in circles. He… is really the only person that thinks he is making sense….. him and his imaginary elite friends. Then he states the obvious which has been mentioned many, many times…. including myself. Now, I’m supposed to believe these other elite ‘Dream Team’ members are going to get this kid to do what everybody else already told him ??

Yeah…. right !!

wcalvert…. either put your money where your mouth is or cut your loses and come clean.​

Now, there are quite a few ‘EX’-members that might do this, but I don’t think even they are that stupid either. One never knows….. only the Shadow Knows………………….. :rolleyes:

cdiesel

This really kills me.. We just purchased another printer, and in talking to our distributor, they said that they're selling more and more to NON-sign businesses. Versacamms going like crazy to what they called "craft" people and "hobbyists".
When their sales manager was here, we talked for a bit about his, and I asked him how many of these guys are buying media & inks from him. He said a lot of them do, but not much volume.
That sums it up right there.

gnatt66

yeah about that. a good friend is an outside salesman for the local fastenal. he noticed a solvent printer in the 'office' of a local specialty machine shop kinda place. when asked...they use it to make "caution signs and stuff" for inside the facility. LOL.

and as far as the newspaper guy and his mission to save the family tons of money, i cant see it happening. wholesale is the way to go.

im just a newbie with a plotter, but i can say that design is one thing..but sucessful application is the hard part, imo. and i dont know anything.

Cadmn

This really kills me.. We just purchased another printer, and in talking to our distributor, they said that they're selling more and more to NON-sign businesses. Versacamms going like crazy to what they called "craft" people and "hobbyists".
When their sales manager was here, we talked for a bit about his, and I asked him how many of these guys are buying media & inks from him. He said a lot of them do, but not much volume.
That sums it up right there.
this being the reason printing/the industry is going down hill they will sell to anyone with Money & don't give a rats patoot who it hurts . whats gonna happen when the origionals NO longer buy from their non caring Arses.

Techman

therefore absorbing whatever profit the local printer made, into our profits

This is exactly what pisses me off. You are just in it for the profits while you will steal a job from a real technician in the process. Stick to your corporate charter and quit stealing work from real genuine hard working honest persons. In fact. Why don't you just leave.. McWalmart is trying to strike again....

This guy is a troll. I think he is someone old posting under a new registration..
Fortunately, I had some very nice members contact me via PM and not only offer my advice, but their personal emails

Typical troll statement.

Baz

This guy is a troll. I think he is someone old posting under a new registration..

I've been smelling fish from the get go with this ... Its all worded to perfectly to piss off the type of members that are here.

Someone has alot of time to waste ... Then again .. if its genuine ... Someone is real stupid and ignorant!!