• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hey Betsy from 3M!

Graphics2u

But remember that the dealer is working from an online computer driven template program. They are not designing in the true sense, but choosing from probably thousands of themes and just entering the text in the given fields.
So what happens when the Business Customer has a falling out with the dealer who sold their Ford vehicles and now wants to buy from GM, Or a dealer who doesn't participate in the program? Who owns that cookie cutter design that came from their template program? How will they be able to keep uniformity in their advertising? Sounds like their might be a few glitches in the system.

Jgentry

So what happens when the Business Customer has a falling out with the dealer who sold their Ford vehicles and now wants to buy from GM, Or a dealer who doesn't participate in the program? Who owns that cookie cutter design that came from their template program? How will they be able to keep uniformity in their advertising? Sounds like their might be a few glitches in the system.

You don't think 3M is trying to sign up GM? This program was just announced.

For the moment, some will think that far ahead and others won't. There is definently room here for the independent sign shop to continue to function.

Bigdawg

Just Me
But it still does a disservice to the consumer. Say I have Joe's AC company... I pick a stock "design" (for lack of a better word)... unbeknownst to me... Frank's AC company has picked the very same design! Next thing I know - my customers are calling Frank because he has more vehicles. When someone sees my "design" they immediately think of Frank.

It's pushing clipart as a corporate identity... Personally don't think too much of that...

HulkSmash

I'm not worried about 3M taking business anymore. I'm worried about them giving it to someone else. From what i understand we will be the designers - im sure eventually they will have 1000's of stock graphics from the dealerships/customers to choose from. Also the lack of return customers is also an issue, since we will be dealing with the dealerships and not the customers. I'm going to have a sales rep go around to all the auto dealerships in Denver - offer them 10 percent commission on ALL vehicles they send to me for decals/wraps.

GraphixUnlimited

But it still does a disservice to the consumer. Say I have Joe's AC company... I pick a stock "design" (for lack of a better word)... unbeknownst to me... Frank's AC company has picked the very same design! Next thing I know - my customers are calling Frank because he has more vehicles. When someone sees my "design" they immediately think of Frank.

It's pushing clipart as a corporate identity... Personally don't think too much of that...

Good Post!! and so true

2972renfro

I cannot imagine custom work being done this way. I could see the theme wraps being done, but not ones that require incorporating custom logos/design. How is the customer going to be able to do that through the dealer

If you look at the Ford wrap site brought up before, those are mostly more complex versions of the Trimline style striping that have been already done - just a larger scale

I can picture them getting team licenses to where you could wrap your car in an NFL theme or whatever is popular at the time. Something similar to Fatheads, but for cars

Jgentry

I'm not worried about 3M taking business anymore. I'm worried about them giving it to someone else. From what i understand we will be the designers - im sure eventually they will have 1000's of stock graphics from the dealerships/customers to choose from. Also the lack of return customers is also an issue, since we will be dealing with the dealerships and not the customers. I'm going to have a sales rep go around to all the auto dealerships in Denver - offer them 10 percent commission on ALL vehicles they send to me for decals/wraps.

Yes if you can't beat 'em...

I should say what I have posted is the shpeel they are giving the installer that would install at the dealer. They may have a different shpeel they are giving wrap shops.

Last edited:

GraphixUnlimited

Anyone know of any laminate that matches 8518 for its high gloss level??? I have found the DOL-1060 just isnt there but since 3M is looking more and more like they re losing my biz I should look into alternatives as its ordering time again!

Cheers

Craig Sjoquist

What I like about this... also what is suppose to happen in America and other free thinking countries is simple competition at it's best some company (3M) takes to the next level, and those who don't want to be left out fights like dog to do something equal or better.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What I like about this... also what is suppose to happen in America and other free thinking countries is simple competition at it's best some company (3M) takes to the next level, and those who don't want to be left out fights like dog to do something equal or better.

No, this appears to be more like monopolizing than simple competition.

HulkSmash

I like that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Rooster

Wait until the dealer has to deal with the aftermath of somebody grabbing a low res jpeg of a logo online and using that in their online design tool. It'll look good in the proof.....

You know the main thing that seems to be the benefit of using 3m is the warranty they provide. I asked another shop about it that does a lot of wraps and they just smiled and said "just try and get them to back it up and you'll find out how worthless all that paperwork you filled out was".