• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hey Betsy from 3M!

Vinylman

Where is betsy????

So Betsy...

You failure to reply since your first comments DAYS AGO, says much about where the truth lies about what 3M is really doing.

If I remember correctly you said " Hi people! Not ignoring anyone. I want to be sure I reply properly without adding to the problem. Please let me get back to you on this topic shortly - today!

Betsy
" 4-29-2011 10:04am

Inquiring minds want to know!!:thankyou:

AUTO-FX

They dont give a damn about any of us here , period.
It would take EVERY last one of us switching to another brand to even make a scratch on their print media sales figures, so from a purely numbers standpoint, why should they even care what anyone here thinks?
Personally, i think this whole scheme of theirs will just end up like the Trimline franchise (pinstriping and graphics network) from back in the 80's and early 90's - defunct.

k.a.s.

I'm a small fish, I prolly buy a 180c print/lam combo once a month. But even though I'm not a "wrap" shop I still use it for vehicle lettering and stuff, and I'm seriously considering changing brands over this. I doubt 3M cares, I'm just saying. I feel really bad for those that this will affect directly.

Kevin

HulkSmash

Sorry been busy,
So 3M claim they're creating a network so the dealerships can find people to design/print and install.

So apparently they're not printing/designing/installing.. they're not even choosing. they're allowing the dealerships to do so.

They're just hosting the portal. Pretty much the reason they're doing this is to corner the auto wrap industry with their material. So we can all participate only if we're using 3M. And in the end if you're using any other material other than 3M the dealerships are going to consider it a material that's not worthy. This is where they are getting ahead.

they're not wrapping/installing/printing. They're not even meeting with the client.

We're on the line for the warranty...still
the dealership pays us - instead of the customer paying us. We don't even meet the customer.
Our companies design it, not original wraps
We don't even meet the customer from what i understand.

so the customer leaves the dealership with a beautiful wrap, and they have no idea who did it. That's the part i don't like, i also don't like you will be having less return customers. Because the dealership organizes it, and not the customer.

So overall they're just providing a portal for the dealerships to use and nothing more.... that's what they tell me.

ProWraps

who does the customer write the check to? and if its not to YOU why do YOU carry the warranty? who sets the pricing? is it just a pass through to us? if so why will the customer NOT know who we are? how in the f*ck do you design a wrap for a customer you will NEVER meet? how is 3M going to guarantee that you will use 3M vinyl (there has been a problem with this thus far in the past).

how will the local print shop provide MCS specific warranty capabilities? they cant. so what will the warranty level be? and if they cant, who will? will there be printers you MUST use?

its going to end up being a NIGHTMARE for the dealer, as ultimately, the dealer will be the one selling the wraps. 3M with be left with egg on their face. meanwhile, their customer base will shift to another brand and move on.

and finally, didnt i start this thread? why the hell hasnt 3M contacted me, us, anyone via this thread to respond?

this doesnt "help" us. it just adds a bunch of unecessary bullsh*t to the mix. if a customer wanted to buy a wrap, they would find a wrap shop. now WE will have to deal with all the crap of the dealer, get paid less, and have to utilize 3M materials to go through it. i dont see anywhere where this is a benefit to my business, nor does it make 3M look good to our company.

Last edited:

cptcorn

adad
does that make sense?

This is exactly what I was going to respond with. I had a talk with (for the life of me I cannot remember his name [SORRY!] ) at the 3M UASG Dinner at ISA last week. I knew the general population would turn into a lynch mob towards 3M when they heard the news but its far different what everyone assumes. 3M's main goal is to supply media, that's it.

This program helps the people that are either unaware of wraps to become more educated on the topic, at the dealership, and then finance it. Considering so many companies either don't budget for it or really don't know what their vehicles could potentially look like, to help them get more business.

ProWraps

This is exactly what I was going to respond with. I had a talk with (for the life of me I cannot remember his name [SORRY!] ) at the 3M UASG Dinner at ISA last week. I knew the general population would turn into a lynch mob towards 3M when they heard the news but its far different what everyone assumes. 3M's main goal is to supply media, that's it.

right. becuase 3M was so worried about the "lynch mob" they included this info in their press release and had all knowing Betsy post it here on this forum so it wouldnt happen because they are just trying to "help".

i got some land ill sell ya. got a little bit o' water on it, but its cheap!

Craig Sjoquist

Your Still Complaining ...that you get work, do it the way you feel it's right, get paid, and happy with the results but a draw back is you use quality 3M products...?

I don't get it, some outfit has figured a way to sell more work for you and you complain.

Betsy 3M I need a printer I'll print 24/7 365 days send work.

Flame

Your Still Complaining ...that you get work, do it the way you feel it's right, get paid, and happy with the results but a draw back is you use quality 3M products...?

I don't get it, some outfit has figured a way to sell more work for you and you complain.

Betsy 3M I need a printer I'll print 24/7 365 days send work.

Craig....lay off the pain pills brotha. lol. :corndog:

gnemmas

There was an 3M official answer from another threat last week. Pretty much what Coloradowrap said, that the dealer sell, finance the job, and have installers install.

For that, I believe there will and should be a bunch of pre-designed graphic package (think about pinstriping ) to entice the car buyers. And will leave room for some customers wanting one of kind, custom designs.

Not certain is who supplies the pre-designed packages? A centralized, certified print supplier (such as Merrit?) make sense. However, on the Portal, there is the Print/Install sign up, and the Installer only sign up.

Overall, I agree with 3M that it will increase the wrap market simply for the Easy Financing aspect, that is genius. How come I didn't think about that ?

cptcorn

adad
Overall, I agree with 3M that it will increase the wrap market simply for the Easy Financing aspect, that is genius. How come I didn't think about that ?

We've tried this locally... what it came down to was the lack of understanding/knowledge of the product with the sales teams to confidently sell the product. Their main goal is to sell the car, not the wrap. Hopefully 3M will be giving proper training/seminars to the sales teams at the dealerships so they can be well educated with the product, so they can sell it.

Graphics2u

I don't do vehicle wraps so this isn't a issue with my business. However I have for 24 years been working with Auto Dealers to customize their customers cars with all types of accessories and graphics, this goes back to the days of Trimline (another 3M owned company). So I'm pretty familiar with working with Auto Dealers and their customers. It doesn't sound like much will change with regard to the way your already dealing with auto dealers. 3M is trying to solidify their name in the market. By promoting wraps they way they will be at the dealership level, it will not only allow them to sell more materials it might meake people more aware of what they can do to advertise. I don't use much 3M at all for much of anything but it is a good product, so at least you don't have somebody that makes junk vinyl trying to make these arrangements. And I don't believe that Auto Dealers will all only want 3M because 3M says it's best. Most business people know there are products available that are just as good quality without the name brand with it. That's why many of us right here use different products.

I can't help but believe that you will have contact with the customers especially if you're designing, you're going to have to talk to them. They are going to have to know who did job. If you're responsible for the warranty make sure that there is paperwork that goes with the vehicle so that they know who to contact when they want another vehicle done that they already own. This is only going to impact the people who want to do this on brand new vehicles.

And if I had to guess the dealer is going to add so much to price of these wraps that their customers may opt to forget about the financing aspect of things and pay you in future because they're not wanting to pay the added fees to have the dealer do it. And I know Auto Dealers are not going to do this for nothing. As someone already metioned it will probably go the same way as did Trimline 20 years ago, belly up.

And as far as Betsy is concerned she's probably been told by the powers that be to not say anything more that could be misinterpreted by the pack of angry wolves she's been thrown to here. She's probably just someone that got stuck with caring for all the social media outlets for the company.

And as far as them buying a Wrap Shop I think that only makes sense if you're trying to promote this as a network, you should at leat start with someone that has the experience of doing just what you're trying to promote. And do you really think that they can produce all the vehicle and fleet wraps that are done accross the country?

I think you should wait it out and see if anything truly develops from it, and if it does maybe it will benefit you. And if it doesn't work, next year it will be like any other bad idea, we won't be hearing anything at all about it.

HulkSmash

Chris, They didn't contact me because of this thread. Call your supplier - remind them how much you spend on 3M and it's about to stop. And tell them you wont support someone who supports that, and then uh 3M should be contacting you after.

Apparently they purchased original wraps for their online software only............................yeah right

Graphics2u

3M: Naturally, the design work is the most costly part of the project so we are willing to give you 50% of the project. Oh, and because of the volume we lowered the per vehicle cost by 30%. You understand....volume.
You're forgetting that you're talking about 3M and the Auto Industry. Two of the most overpriced indstitutions in this country (Exxon Excluded:smile:). It's not going to be cheap.