• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you manage an employee who knows more than you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holysteel

Actually we are all competitors. I don't HAVE to do **** for competitors, only the ones I like :)

And Gino may have been harsh on you, but you just went like 5 steps further. Online pissing match...see how far that goes. lol.:bushmill:

Competitors yeah smarty pants ? I live in Thailand. Where do you live? Burma or Cambodia perhaps ?

We are half the globe internationally across each other. How i am competing & getting your piece of small pathetic business share in your little district of yours?

What another complete gino guy kind of m*r*n... So you expect me to stay still and let that guy abuse me? Is that what u are saying? That Gino guy has been fouled mouth me TWICE. And i DID NOT even provoked him or KNOW him. Nor asked for his god dam precious smart opinion..

Im thinking your the other "friends" gang he has in his list. Same way of attacking posts.. First came the so called "reasoning', then the 'abuse' then the ohh gino is a wonderful guy, a saints... hes a bast**d but hes a good tard post followed by sarcarm.. Lol...Give me a break......try something new..

Maybe you guys have a weekly club going on each friday. Brainstorming how to attack threads & alike, etc. Dun you guys have a life or something ? Or a business to run ??

No. You dun have to do **** for competitors, Flamer guy. Just do what u do best. At flaming or ganging up on new guys..

If you only help those you only like, & thinks that your so called knowledge is soo wonderful that i cant it on the net or books. Join a boy scout dude.

Peace. -Roger out-

Holysteel

Sorry if this a repeat of anyones post but when things start turning ugly I just tune it out and go back to the original post and read it again. I would ask this question... Who was it that said you had to be the smartest person in the building? If you hire an employee that is more knowledgeable than yourself, would you feel MORE or LESS confident in the level of service and quality of the products you can NOW provide to your customers? Relish the fact that you were able to hire such a person (or that he was willing to come to work for you) and consider it a blessing.

Now with that being said, the fact that this question even needed to be asked is of bigger concern. Not trying to be mean about this at all. Just trying to find out if it is an issue with his abilities or your intimidation OF those abilities. The simple fact is that you are the boss and he is the employee. Don't make an issue out of this............. unless of course he is a smart*ss and wants everyone to know he is smarter. But that's another issue all together.

Hope you sort it out.:smile:

Hello smacka. No i am not intimidated by smart staffs at all or their abilities at all. My only concern is that if 1 day, for example they are so smart that they turn unethical & start 'stealing' clients from the company in within. Without the boss knowing. Then what? im shooting myself in the foot.

In the meantime, bidding their time getting paid as well from the company. Do you get what i mean ?

Holysteel

Visiting the floating market in Thailand is on my bucket list, I worked in a Thair Restaurant waiting tables in High school sneaking sing tao beer and plum wine. Never quite got it out of my blood, and my younger brother spent a lot of time in Phuket when he was in the Navy still Jealous he got their before me.

Hello adtechia. When you are in Thailand. Let me know. I show you around. ;)

Haakon

Dam...if this guy can p*** me off in this virtual forum world.. I cant imagine what kind of person this guy is, in actual real life..

I can only pity his parents & wife for having such an a**h**e like him in their lifes.. If he has one. that is.

I hope you guys will change your attitude on this. And perhaps even better help out & assist people who are totally a newbie to this industry..Use you knowledge to make a better world for people who are interested in this.. Not to mock at them or put them down..

We are all one big family in a way...to put it simply, we are in this s*** together, whether u like it or not

Competitors yeah smarty pants ? I live in Thailand. Where do you live? Burma or Cambodia perhaps ?

We are half the globe internationally across each other. How i am competing & getting your piece of small pathetic business share in your little district of yours?

What another complete gino guy kind of m*r*n... So you expect me to stay still and let that guy abuse me? Is that what u are saying? That Gino guy has been fouled mouth me TWICE. And i DID NOT even provoked him or KNOW him. Nor asked for his god dam precious smart opinion..

Im thinking your the other "friends" gang he has in his list. Same way of attacking posts.. First came the so called "reasoning', then the 'abuse' then the ohh gino is a wonderful guy, a saints... hes a bast**d but hes a good tard post followed by sarcarm.. Lol...Give me a break......try something new..

Maybe you guys have a weekly club going on each friday. Brainstorming how to attack threads & alike, etc. Dun you guys have a life or something ? Or a business to run ??

No. You dun have to do **** for competitors, Flamer guy. Just do what u do best. At flaming or ganging up on new guys..

If you only help those you only like, & thinks that your so called knowledge is soo wonderful that i cant it on the net or books. Join a boy scout dude.

Peace. -Roger out-

You may be a new guy, but already sounding like the biggest a-hole in this entire forum. Who would want to take time to help out someone like you?

Calling the ones you reach out to for help a-holes with small pathetic businesses, and asking if they have no life or a business to run AND STILL being holy and wanting the forum members to help others and not mock at them and put them down, in your own words, makes you look like a real a-hole with double standards.

No one in here OWES you any answers, but they may choose to take their time to help you. How do you think this forum had turned out if everyone talked **** like you do?

Holysteel

You may be a new guy, but already sounding like the biggest a-hole in this entire forum. Who would want to take time to help out someone like you?

Calling the ones you reach out to for help a-holes with small pathetic businesses, and asking if they have no life or a business to run AND STILL being holy and wanting the forum members to help others and not mock at them and put them down, in your own words, makes you look like a real a-hole with double standards.

No one in here OWES you any answers, but they may choose to take their time to help you. How do you think this forum had turned out if everyone talked **** like you do?

LOL.. Really? If you dun like it LEAVE ! f off from my thread please..

WildWestDesigns

One thing you might want to rethink is this:

Because a good portion of what I do can be sent via email, I send all over. I have direct competitors in Argentina, China, India, and yes, even Thailand.

With the internet, the world is a much smaller place. I'm not saying that is the case here or between you two, however, the mere fact of being halfway across the globe doesn't mean the same thing that it once did.

As to your initial post about an employee knowing more then the boss. I don't see that being an issue. You pay an employee to do a job, if they are more efficient at that job, that means that you can worry about the admin part of the business or focus on sales whatever. Not everyone brings the same tool set to a business. Try and learn here and there what you can, in case they do decide to move on, but let them do the job and pay accordingly for their knowledge.

I do believe that there was a sub topic about a designer doing jobs on his own. There should have been something in the contract that stipulated against it. If not, then that needs to be rectified sooner rather then later.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Perhaps you might heed some traditional wisdom from UseNet: "He who has the last word loses". Take it to heart.

It would seem a rare combination of naivete and defensiveness that compels someone to respond to each and every post with sufficient venom that even the most phlegmatic participants in these waters are moved to pronounce you a fool.

Holysteel

Perhaps you might heed some traditional wisdom from UseNet: "He who has the last word loses". Take it to heart.

It would seem a rare combination of naivete and defensiveness that compels someone to respond to each and every post with sufficient venom that even the most phlegmatic participants in these waters are moved to pronounce you a fool.

Hello bob, i dun give a flying f*** to your opinion.. I came here with peace, goodwill, a determine to improve and all.. In return, all i received is humiliation, ridiculed, mocked, ganged up upon...

If you gino lovers think i am in the wrong..so be it.. i dun give a dam anymore..

I have been remained silence once & is very tolerant about it..This is the second time, that ******* pounced on me for something very minor.. something trivial out of the very blue.

Screw it..

Im out of here.. There are people out here in this forum who hates this gino son of a betchz too..Not only me..

Smacka

In the meantime, bidding their time getting paid as well from the company. Do you get what i mean ?

You are beating a dead horse. That is not something you can control. EVERYONE does that when they are in an undesirable situation. That is how we all got where we are now.... we worked, learned and moved up, learned some more, and so on. None of us just wakes up one day and says "even though I have no experience, no plan, and no money...I'm gonna start my own business!" So don't fault them for getting experience and a paycheck from you and then applying it to better themselves. You did it too so try to keep that in mind when dealing with employees.. It's called the free market system and it is what keeps everything chugging forward. Let not your heart be troubled because no good deed goes unpunished!

Sorry for the novel.

10sacer

Hello everybody. Good Day. Just a casual question.

Question of the day: How do you manage a newly arrived employee who has more knowledge, skills & expertise than you as the owner in certain factors such as production,installation & overall operations.

Do you,

1) Swallow your pride. Engage him & ask him to share his expertise & experiences with the company, asking for his opinions & views on stuffs. Ask him to share information about his old employer, competitors, etc. His opinion on further improving the shop's sales. etc ?

Downside: He will have no respect for you as the 'leader' & will think you as an idiot for 'consulting' his opinions. In the long run, he might ask for additional major increase of pay, because he thinks he is good, special & inexpendable asset to the shop.

Or

2) Firm up your image. Be that tough no nonsense boss. After all, you are the boss. Even though you know that he is more experienced than you. Delegate jobs to him in an indirect way. You get the results either way using this approach, without him knowing you are the amateur.

Downside: I see no downside to this method at the moment currently. Might due to change after hearing you guys out.

So which is the preferred? How do you guys handle this kind of scenario. Did it happen before with you? Please share your experiences. Remember, There is no right or wrong answer to this. Just let it flow.

Cheers!

Perhaps you aren't giving the respect he deserves by assuming he would lose all respect for you for simply sharing his knowledge and experience. Find out what kind of person he is by engaging him about certain small tasks that you know the answers to and see how he generates his responses. A person who is open and willing to help will be tolerant and helpful when posed with "silly" guestions - an arrogant or know-it-all will be bothered by such inquiries.

The highest paid people in any organization should be the sales guys and the smartest guys should be your production guys.

The proper 5,000 foot view leader will make the right decisions at the right time to grow or sustain a business - and that includes the quality of people you hire.

Just my two cents...

sardocs

If, as you said in your initial post, he " has more knowledge, skills & expertise than you as the owner in certain factors such as production,installation & overall operations", he may even be reading this thread. In which case he won't just "think you as an idiot", he will know it for certain. You should fire him immediately and hire somebody really stupid, even stupider than you, so you can continue on being the genius business leader you feel you are.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Holy Smokes..... the church is on fire. :omg:

Holyman... grab yourself, turn your head and cough.

Like I said in my original post in this thread..... no one cares about if you are liked or not. It's all about getting the job accomplished and with the quickest and best methods at your disposal.

You've displayed all kinds of moods and behavioral traits, I think you're not quite all there.

You...... to date, have been the easiest person to push buttons. You fly off at the least dumbest things. Besides, with your insults and special clubs I'm affiliated with..... you have me confused with someone who cares about your childish tirades.

One more thing, no one is coming to my defense and no one is ganging up on you. You are just one terrified dude with no handle on life, let alone his business or his friend's business. You come here asking questions about some fairy tale and then change horses in the middle of the stream and expect everyone to follow on. Do you know... NO one here knows if you're talking about yourself and some smart employee or your friends business and someone stealing his/her customers. Remember, you're the one who set this whole mess up which no one can follow so, remember to include yourself in the a$$wipes you're talking about.

What's that saying about little minds ?? :banghead:

Holysteel

Wow.. My goodness. Now there is fairy tales & unicorns spun out from your mouth, gino guy. Whats next ? Mickey mouse & the flying fox from the planet Pandora ?

I dun come here to get my buttons pushed by you, gino guy...

This is not a forum of character test selection. You pushed me far enough. There is a limit a person can takes.

Life is simple. If your nice to me. Im nice to you. If you happen to diss me. I make sure to return the favour back double.

@Old paint. On why i am in this business when i dun know much.

From what factor are u assuming me that i dun know much? If ur talking about vehicle wraps, then yes i have zero exp in this area of expertise. If that was your point. My expertise is only related to signage billboards & banners. Tats it.

want some more reason? I have the contacts that sends me huge jobs every month.

Want some more? Its my money..i do want ever i want. Even if i were to burn the moolah piece by piece with a lighter upside down. It is none of your concern.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, holy grail.............

You're certainly one tough cookie.

You alone have turned your thread inside out. All I [and some others] did was to point out your faults and how difficult it is to follow you and you right away wanna do battle.

As far as your limits...... I don't think anyone can reach your limits..... remember you're half a world away from us and we can't hurt you.... your very own words. As for life being simple.... I can believe that coming from you :rolleyes:

Now, you wanna lay down rules for all of us to play by, but no one understands you. How is it the new kid on the block always wants to set new ground rules ??

Holy cow...... did you ever hear the phrase.... birds of a feather . . . . . . . . . . together ?? Check out some of your own posts in this thread after you've cooled down and you might learn something about yourself.

Another one for you
..... we're not ranting.... you've just become the new toy in this sandbox. You're a lota fun.

You want help, so you come here with questions and then you change the questions to mean something else and when no one can follow.... you jump on those asking you what the heck you're talking about. Ya know, grow up and get real. Most of us have all the time in the world to d!ck around with you. The rest are smart and just ignore people like you.

I know I'm not helping create any revenue for Fred when posting silly sh!t about stoopid questions, but you're just pathetic with your foul mouth, silly ideas on business and temper tantrums in front of literally 1,000's and 1,000's of viewers. I look like a bully, but you act like you don't belong here and have no clue about your life.... both business and personal.

:popcorn:

OldPaint

thank you, for your answer. IT WAS JUST WHAT I THOUGHT. SOMEONE WITH MORE MONEY THEN BRAINS. you fit the definition.
i have know many like you, and have worked for many like you. this is why i became self employeed in 1986. got tired of working for "money people" who were actually DUMBER THEN A BOX A ROCKS)))))) but they think like you. whats gona be your next business when this fails? BRAIN SURGEON???? JET MECHANIC? ROCKET SCIENTIST???? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
and be nice i have friends in thailand))))))))))

Status
Not open for further replies.