• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I hate some people.....

showcase 66

I have a job that came up on Wednesday. She is opening a new salon next Tuesday. I told her it is very short notice but the end of the week was going to be a little slower than normal so I would see if I could help her out but there would be a 25% Rush fee. Wednesday night I laid out a generic store front for her and gave her the invoice on Thursday and told as well as it is on the invoice, that Full payment will need be paid before any work starts. I do this for all new customers if the price is under $1000 otherwise hallf to start and the other half before installation.

Now its Friday, I have not ordered her new acrylic face plate yet or the "right" shade of pink vinyl and she just calls me yelling at me that I havent done her windows yet or the sign. I told her I would get started on them as soon as she pays. She told me she never pays anything until she has the product. Yelling and screaming at me that I am going to damage her reputation in the business and now she is going to fail because I didnt get her sign and windows done.
She has been in this building for almost 3 months getting it ready and just now she needs the signs.

She hung up on me when I told her that if she didnt like my policy that she signed on the proposal. She could go somewhere else.

Just got a call from her again an hour later wanting to pay for the signs and wants me out there today to do the windows. She told me another guy said they could do it today but the price was about 450 more than my original.

I am tempted to tell her that the Rush Fee would have to be increased to 35%.

Honestly, I dont even think I want to do this job for her. I can already tell it is going to be a pain in the ass.

Sorry had to vent.

JR's

get paid like your policy states do the job go home and kit your garbage can.

I do feel your pain tho but its bad for biss. I just recently yelled at a client because I was upset. (not good)

JR

Letterbox Mike

Agreed. Let her walk and learn an expensive $450 lesson in procrastination and manners.

+1. She's now shown you what kind of customer she will be to deal with. If you want to put up with the abuse, go for it. I wouldn't turn her work down, but I'd explain that her time frame could have been met on Wednesday when the invoice was sent over, but your 2-3 day lead time or whatever it is starts when you are paid and art is approved, not when they originally contact you. Because she procrastinated excessively doesn't mean you should pay the price for that.

We now spell this out in plain English on all estimates, proofs and invoices. The production time does not start until the art is approved, deposit paid, etc.. If you order a banner on Monday and need it Friday and I tell you it's a 4 day lead time that's fine, but if you wait to approve the proof until Thursday you're not getting it on Friday, you're getting next Wednesday. By putting that control of the lead time back on them you are off the hook and they tend to wake up and move a bit quicker.

Kwiksigns

wookie
Yeah... I would charge her something extra or tell her if she can't wait a couple days for me to get ready then oh well.

John Butto

venting

Your a little slower than normal and then you want to charge extra for a rush job, do not consider a week to be a rush job, maybe within 24 hours and you pull an all nighter, and if my water pipe broke and the plumber wants half of his money up front before he starts, or the yardman has to have half his money upfront before he starts the mower. Believe me I see nothing wrong in getting a deposit it just that it sounds like you get mad at cutomers pretty easy, "the customer is always right" should be your new motto. This is not a physics or knee jerk business where if the customer gets upset you do to, action, reaction.

If you do decide to take the job be careful as she will more than likely nit pick how it looks. If you do not decide to take the job and force her to pay the extra $450 then be sure that you let her know that you own the rights to your designs and that there could be a lawsuit if she has the other guy do the exact same thing you laid out for her. Will also make her think more about not all sign shops can do the same work. If you make her go with the other person and they do a crap job or she doesn't like their layout...you've earned a customer for life and she will realize that if she want's things done right, a realistic timeline must be in order.

Craig Sjoquist

Need some cheese with that whine.

Look you wrote your policy, she signed it, then realized you were serious , shes a first time buyer from you and really does not know what she did, till it was kinda late.

Now since pushing buttons is easy and getting the job ready and finished is not all that hard, calmly talk with her and gladly do the job no questions asked ... don't make a mountain out of a mole hill. she will be happy at your outstanding work and extra effort and tell others, a few but will count ... beauty shops you one you get several.

Yes you can get all arrogant but what does that gain, be cool she made a mistake so what we are not all perfect .

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay, so play 'Let's Make A Deal'.

CS.... can you do these windows today or tomorrow if no other problems got in the way ??

If so, get 1/2 your money up front and tell her when you leave, you want the other half. If this happens, then you want the other half for the other sign and you'll order the rest of her stuff. If you can do what you say, then she owes you the rest when you get there, next Wednesday.

You said its a little slow right now, so why turn work away if you can easily do it ?? Don't let a few words scare you away for the wrong reasons. She didn't threaten to kill you or shoot your dog. She's pissed at herself for waiting til the last minute and you're taking the punishment for it. It's only words. Do your job, get paid and move on.

You've already proved your point, so let her fork over some money ad get it done.

iSign

I did a $4500 box truck a month or two back.. the guy was 6'-6", 250 lb. and thinks he's a Hawaiian King... probably treats his 5' tall Filipino staff like pawns, and was treating me the same.. making promises, not keeping them, twisting facts to pretend he thinks I have been irresponsible, and glazing over any recognition of his faults...

I had a chance to do another $4500 box truck for him & I tolerated a bit of his BS, but I have my limits, and I finally stood my ground on my policy, and my perception of facts. (which is the real facts, instead of his ego-centric views) The result was his decision to look elsewhere for a vendor he can work with, and that had secretly become my hope as well.. but I have absolutely no regrets on letting that job go by, even though I have some serious financial challenges right now...

I may lose my house, or any other material possession... but I don't plan to lose my integrity, or my obligation to myself to live within the confines of truth & fact... and if I were to suffer from financial losses... I can say I will still never look back on that clients carrot on a stick "job" dangled before me to see if I would trade my soul, my honor or integrity.. my birthright to stand as an individual and choose my path in life.. I am absolutely sure no matter what the future holds, I would never regret bypassing jobs that cost me my honor!

Flame

Your a little slower than normal and then you want to charge extra for a rush job, do not consider a week to be a rush job, maybe within 24 hours and you pull an all nighter, and if my water pipe broke and the plumber wants half of his money up front before he starts, or the yardman has to have half his money upfront before he starts the mower. Believe me I see nothing wrong in getting a deposit it just that it sounds like you get mad at cutomers pretty easy, "the customer is always right" should be your new motto. This is not a physics or knee jerk business where if the customer gets upset you do to, action, reaction.

I disagree with your entire post, just FYI.

That is not how I run my business now, or ever will. I have no intention of becoming a rug for others so I can work harder, get paid less, and produce horrible work.

Blaney

Lack of preparation on her part, should not constitute an emergency on your part. Since it's a little slow, take the job and charge a PITA charge.

WildWestDesigns

This is so common, many customers think they're the only one. "WHAT 2 DAYS TO DO A BANNER?"

I would imagine that it's also compounded with the fact that most everyone is slower and has been for about a year or so. They think it's become too much of a "buyer market".

So far, I haven't had anyone act like that. I've had my share of nit pickers and I can tolerate quite a bit of that as that helps me get better with my work in some respect(workflow that is).

I don't see anything that would make me turn her away, I would just make sure that she is fully aware of the policy and how quick responses get quick action on your part. Do all this in a nice calm voice, even if she is screaming bloody murder. Give her an opening to come back to your shop if she decides to go with someone else on this job, don't have a client leave with a feeling of alienation. Whether you're right or not, she(or whomever) may not perceive it the same way and more then likely she'll give out negative comments about what she believes her experience to be. Based on my experience that I have with this business and with my other business, word of mouth will either make you or break you really easily, no matter how good, talented, or even financially stable you are.

My mom always said: "Once you get mad, you've lost."

Which is ironic coming from me as I've been known to have a hair trigger temper in my younger days.

gabagoo

IN the original post he stated that she was yelling and screaming at him. That right there means trouble to me. I am sure you told her outright that the money had to be paid and I am sure you made sure that she understood that before she left your shop, so I cant figure out why it was your fault and she takes to yelling and screaming? I wouldnt go near this... she is a crackpot

HulkSmash

So this customer is mad at me because i couldn't install his store front window vinyl in 50 mph winds this week.

dwt

Once a 'client' starts yelling at me, it's over. There is no excuse for that.
If you continue she will pick over everything and try to hold you for ransom unless you stick to your original policy of payment in full.
Good Luck.

J

john1

I would decline doing it since shes acting that way.

I had a Salon needing their name on their front window 4x1.5' yesterday in just white lettering. Super simple job, easy to talk to customer. I'm doing the job tomorrow morning actually. These kinds of customers make you appreciate ones who are easy going ;)

Techman

remove the ego, Get the3 deposit.
Do the job and get paid.

Thats all that counts in capitalism.

For get she is a butt head. Get the deposit and get paid.