• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I want to cut my own designs

tikis-in-space

Aw heck, any public forum you post in there is going to be someone there to stir the pot.

"AHHHHHHH. i see where your head is at.......))))))"

How could you considering where yours must be?

Now... about that cricket...

Jackpine

Welcome to the group. I would recommend CorelDRAWx3 or x4 for a design program. It is pretty intuitive and easy to learn. You can get it at www.amazon.com. I would believe Flexi starter is a basic cutting program for your cutter. Read your software's user manual and the cutters manual. Wherever you bought your system should give you support at least to get it all connected to operate. Good luck with the learning curve.

tikis-in-space

Alls fair in love and war, eh?

{{{{{Jill & Pat}}}}}} Thanks.

Air Art Girl - thank you. I'll go check out that link right now.

Air Art Girl

Wherever you bought your system should give you support at least to get it all connected to operate. Good luck with the learning curve.

unless she got one of those inexpensive chinese ones that can be a nightmare. She will find more help here. Many posts here on those problem plotters and some solutions posted too.

Jackpine

AirArt, you are right she will find more help here.
She has a 34" Seiki according to her information. It doe look like an inexpensive Chinese one. She will find more help here but she may be able to get some help if she got it from some sort of dealer.
I have a guy near me that has a US Cutter with signgo software and has not even a clue of what he is doing. I have done work for him in the past cutting RTA and stencils and now he has asked if I could help him figure it out his setup. He bought it used for $500.00. Of course I told him I know nothing of his hardware or software. He was trying to cut bitmaps. You get what you pay for sometimes.
Knowledge is power.

tikis-in-space

"unless she got one of those inexpensive chinese ones that can be a nightmare"

Bingo. It was just a starter thing. Seiki plotter. Some of the tech help I've gotten from them I submit straight to engrish.com. Other times it's not so bad.

The cutter is actually decent and does a good job so far with letters and such. The "manual" that came with the Flexi though talks 99% about printing, not cutting.

I'll upgrade some day for sure. Until then I'll work with what I have. And thanks to you guys, it will be a lot easier and a lot more fun. :)

Deaton Design

Do what some of the others advised maybe,and get either corel, illustrator, or even inkscape. Some sort of vector based program that makes it much easier to take your own creations and set them up for cutting. Once you scan an image into your computer, you can work from there in those programs, by using the trace feature in them, and then some cleanup depending on how good your original image was. The learning curve on these programs is not what you would call easy, but with a little time, you'll be using them like its second nature. If you have someone nearby that uses these programs, that would be even better, so they could show you hands on, but it can be done by just using them. When I first started, I started with macromedia freehand and knew nothing about it. Had a friend show me a few things,and went from there. I use illustrator for basically everything now. I have a cutting program called vinylmasterpro, but only use it for cutting and simple layouts. Everything else is done in illustrator.
Lots of info here on this site, and good people too. Joe aint that bad either, just gets worked up sometimes.
Good luck!

TonyHoles

this place is a wealth of knowledge. If your questions sort of show you have tried searching and still need more information most members here will go above and beyond to assist you. Keep that in mind. With that said. Google is also your friend. On occassion I will search for a specific tutorial on a specific feature in Illustrator that I don't normally use and 9 times out of 10 I can locate something that is spot on. (lol i just said spot on) so, keep at it you'll be fine!

Marlene

there's a lot of good advise that's been posted so far. trade magazines are a good buy too. SignCraft is a good one for layout and design ideas. Sign Builder has some good articles on vinyl cutting, programs and machines. Signs of the Times is OK too but goes more into the nuts and bolts of bigger types of signs but they do have articles on vinyl. also, ask here, some of us may get snarky at times but for the most part, people here are very good about helping each other.

OldPaint

hey jill, little secret, THERE WAS NO VAN TO DO!!!!! just lookin for what it turned into....with all the wonderful comments, including yours, just a little "fishin post", all the sharks took a bite)))))))))))))

THATgirl

hmmmm well at least OP is consistent. Half the time some of you on here are so mean and high and mighty to newbies it's crazy. Then other times you are sweet as pie. bi polar? or just lack of business lately?

marlene and airartgirl gave you some good advice, tikis-in-space. Good luck with your venture.

Jillbeans

I liked the name too, and also liked that the person wanted to do their own designs. When I found out she was a girl that helped too, and seeing OP tear her up helped the most. She didn't seem like a fly-by-night eBay hack.

jbennett

hey jill, little secret, THERE WAS NO VAN TO DO!!!!! just lookin for what it turned into....with all the wonderful comments, including yours, just a little "fishin post", all the sharks took a bite)))))))))))))

OP, I swear you need pills! I'm sure glad I didnt let you scare me off here many years ago. :biggrin:

OldPaint

i didnt know it was a girl...ITS THE FEMA-NAZIS that are makin somethig out that....gender had nothing to do with it...and i stand by what i said.....or what she said..."I figured I could learn. Heck, the cutting is easy. The program to do lettering is a cinch."
not my words....
bennett, iam a teddy bear, if ya met me you would see that. most a stuff i post is is done ...with a grin on my face, as to how some here will jump in to dis me))))))) they gota pick on somebody, just to make them selfs feel good about them selfs)))))))and those who do really give my a laugh.