• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I want to cut my own designs

tanneji

ah tiki thanks for the comedy to start off the morning ... anyway, you might want to try vectortuts.com ... they have some great tutorials about drawing in AI from hand drawings etc, vector tracing, all kinds of nifty gifties.

Good luck!

Joel

tikis-in-space

Hi Ian! Yep. The Muppets. I have Kermit, Animal, Fozzy and Rolf looking down at me from my desk as I type. You must remember Piiiiiiiigs in Spaaaaaaaaaaace! lmao! The Swedish Chef is one of my favorites as well. :) (Can't cook without singing his song, dontchaknow:
"Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn Bork! Bork! Bork!")

tanneji - Thank you for that link! I'm gonna go check it out right now.

I got some ideas drawn up last night and can't wait to see if I can translate them from paper to computer and then on to vinyl.

Anyway.. I like to joke around a lot because laughter is most certainly the BEST medicine and I sure hope it's not minded here on the forums. I'm never too serious about much but I do want to say seriously, THANK YOU everyone. I've got a bit more confidence to get out there and do my designs and see what my imagination can come up with. (and I wont be shaking quite so much in my boots if I have to come back in here and say "HEY! I screwed up! Now what!")

GSP-Digital

Um, I think a starting point would be to learn the difference between raster and vector images. Hint: your cutter will not cut raster images.

When you scan a drawing, it's a raster image. You will have to convert the image to a vector image and seperate the colors for your cutter to cut one at a time.

To cut a design out, you need a vector image which comes in eps or ai format usually. You can then import it into flexi, size it up and cut it on the plotter. In reality i can't explain exactly how to do it, i just know how to do it so well i just do it lol

You can convert a scanned drawing to a vector for cutting in corel draw or adobe illustrator which are the most common programs.

CorelDraw is my fav for creating Vector (line) images, you can pretty much create a trace any raster image and creat a EPS file to open with Flexi

RebeckaR

Yes Ma'am. Dig in and learn all the cool stuff it'll do and you'll be outshining half the members here in no time.

jscarl

Tikis; Hang on to the humor!! Some days you need it on here. All software has a learning curve. Some people learn faster, some slower (me). Just remember one lil thing. Practice, practice, practice! Be sure and let all of your new fans, know how you are doing. JIm

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
Tikki: thanks for the words to the Swedish Chef's introduction- our kids will love it!
I really liked the making donuts episode (with the gun), and making pepper sauce (with the speecy spicey & the hotsy totsy), and making coleslaw out of lettuce - they were all good!

Bradster941

So...what you're actually saying is that you asked for help, let people give up their time and effort in an attempt to help you, and it was all made up bullshit? You're actually proud of that? You know, I think that's the first thing you've ever actually done or said that's pissed me off. Hell, I spent 45 minutes or so working on an idea I had for you but had to abandon it because the twins got sick. Now you're telling me it was all bullshit? What the hells wrong with you?

Yea, that was really sleazy of Old Paint....:cool:

tikis-in-space

Wow. So I'm doing a trial version of Corel Draw x4. An expensive program! Holy heck! Anyway, I'm going through the tutorials on how to vectorize images and stuff. Interesting and informative stuff. I bet if I really took advantage of all this program offers, it would pay for itself in no time flat. (isn't it too bad that things we want can't just pay for themselves in the beginning?? lol!)

I have a new question though. Switching back and forth between screens is making my head want to explode. This situation is where I can see two monitors coming in handy. One for the project, one for the tutorial or - any other reference needed for a job.

Do y'all have dual screens set up? I assume it's fairly easy to do. I'll Google it and see what the skinny is on that deal and how to do it.

Anyway - thought I'd check back in and report progress. Shoot.. who knows. Might even get something cut this weekend.

:clapping::thumb:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Corel is the "cheap" program. The comparable Adobe Suite 900-1900.00 bucks.

I have a dual screen set-up, in extended desktop mode. The main screen is a 30" and the Mac side and I can fit a lot on it, my other screen is 17" (notebook) usually my PC side or when I don't need PC, my I-tunes/internet side.

dirtdog

hey tiki i know what its like.ive never worked in a sign shop,but bought this stuff about a year ago and began to teach myself.i still dont know crap,but this website has helped me alot in the few weeks i have been on.i use illy,and cut in flexistarter.if i am reading this post right,does my illy vectorize?never using a program like this before,i find a new button in my workspace everyday,lol.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Hey Tiki, I know what its like. I've never worked in a sign shop, but bought this stuff about a year ago and have begun to teach myself. I still don't know crap, but this website has helped me a lot in the few weeks that I have been on it. I use Illy, and cut in Flexistarter.

If I am reading this post right, does my Illy vectorize? Having never used a program like this before, I find a new button in my workspace everyday, lol.

Yes it does, it's called "LIVE TRACE" under your "OBJECT" menu at the top....

refer to this part of the thread...

http://www.signs101.com/forums/showpost.php?p=473604&postcount=35

Last edited:

sarge

corel draw is what i have been using & do to just about all my design work .. i do have the adobe suite .. just more comfortable with corel .. i do use dual monitors 1 is a 22" samsung and a 21" NEC opticlear .. both work very well .. i use a laptop show graphics to clients .. and to respond to this forum and chats