• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

iDot instead of car magnets

SkyHighJK

Does the outside temp matter? Can it be applied (and stay on) if it is in the 30s outside and the truck doors are cold?

I would say (living in Southern California where it can be a tad difficult to test in extreme weather) that it might be a little tougher to install in sub-freezing temperatures. That being said, it should hold up very well in those temps (once it's on) and at the end of the day it's designed, at least as vehicles are concerned, as a temporary graphic (under 1 month).
Indoors, it'll stay much, much longer. Depending on the surface you're good for at least a year, most likely much more.
It's been pretty chilly here in LA (mid 30's in the mornings) and the edges are JUUUUUUSST starting to lift a tiny bit, and we're now going on day 18 on my car, for what it's worth! (And, it's been incredibly dusty and smokey and nasty for many of those days.) Also, keep in mind that I used a very edgy (pun??!!??....) graphic to really get a good test. If it's rounder or square it'll hold better.

-jordan

SkyHighJK

Today is Day 19 and the iDot still looks great, IMO. Between the dust/smoke in the air, going 85 on the freeway, temps into the 30's at night (forming a nice dew layer on occasion) and daytime temps up to the mid-80's (which means the car door itself, in the afternoon sun, must get pretty darn hot) I'd say it's pretty impressive that the only corner-lifting is right at the top where my greasy fingers kept messing with the material to make that first video!

Full video coming later today (or, maybe, next week. I dunno, still feels like the Holidays, ya know?)

Have a great New Year everyone!
-Jordan
20171229_085608.jpg 20171229_085633.jpg

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Does the outside temp matter? Can it be applied (and stay on) if it is in the 30s outside and the truck doors are cold?

It definitely matters when you take it off. If it's too cold it will break off in tiny pieces and will be a pain in the butt. Best to install and de-install above 40 degrees.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Am I the only one who has an issue with this stuff in the rain? I've tried and tried but consistently when I go through ANY type of rain, the decal lifts, gets dirty and wont stick anymore. I've tried laminated and unlaminated. I've had issues with it cracking into pieces too in the cold. So far not impressed with it.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Am I the only one who has an issue with this stuff in the rain? I've tried and tried but consistently when I go through ANY type of rain, the decal lifts, gets dirty and wont stick anymore. I've tried laminated and unlaminated. I've had issues with it cracking into pieces too in the cold. So far not impressed with it.

Water is the enemy of this material in that application, the dots trap water behind the graphic and will create problems. It will also crack when taking it off in cold weather. Its universal problems that ALL mini dot materials have unfortunately. Sorry you are not impressed, I will be more than happy to refund you if you wish. Its really a great material and we sell lots of it for many different applications, originally developed to replace static clings on windows and its just morphed into all these other areas.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Well, if it cant get wet its not a comparable replacement to car magnets. I'm glad I tested it before offering it. I also meticulously prepped the area that I was installing it too, squeegeeing with FIRM pressure, and still fails after 10 mins in a light rain.

bannertime

Well, if it cant get wet its not a comparable replacement to car magnets. I'm glad I tested it before offering it. I also meticulously prepped the area that I was installing it too, squeegeeing with FIRM pressure, and still fails after 10 mins in a light rain.

Yeah, I haven't been convinced of the magnet replacing properties either. Lost our test graphics in the first week. Works great for promo graphics on windows.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member

It was an alternative to car magnets on ALUMINUM panel cars. What do you use on aluminum panels? This is just an ALTERNATIVE to magnets.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Well, magnets don't work on aluminum... and neither does this if it can't get wet. I wouldn't call it an alternative if it plain just doesn't work.... Well, maybe in Yuma Arizona it will.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Well, magnets don't work on aluminum... and neither does this if it can't get wet. I wouldn't call it an alternative if it plain just doesn't work.... Well, maybe in Yuma Arizona it will.

Lol, it works in many places that dont see much rain, specifically here in California. Again, totally sorry it doesn't work the way it needs to for you, I will refund you 100% if you cannot use it.

equippaint

Here is another way to use our iDot material, great for cars that are aluminum. (Alternative to magnetic)

Will it work over printed/laminated vinyl on a sign and be removable after some time? For example, name change on an employee of the month parking sign.
Edit to add: inside with no rain, a very special employee parking spot

Last edited: