• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illustrator and photoshop not printing same blue.

dypinc

Here is the file i printed. It doesnt even see the pantone color from photoshop but it does from AI.
Also as you can see the cmyk mix doesnt match either lol.. The second print i have laid over the bottom is the correct pantone blue from illustrator.

What happens if you save it from PS as a PDF with Spot Colors checked. Does Onyx see the spot that way.

Onyx should be reading that spot, or is that an RGB tif, as I know some RIPs if set for an RGB workflow will not read or show spot colors.

altereddezignz

Here is the file listed above placed in illustrator.
Both swatches showthe same cmyk mix but both are wrong based on how my printer rips it.

My printer rips 8 pass material at
C-93.7
M-4.3
Y-5.5
K-0
O-0
R-0

It rips it at 12 pass at
C-94.5
M-4.7
Y-4.7
K-0
O-0
R-0

The spot color on the file from above shows or rips white. Saved it exactly how you stated to.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_26 Dec. 22 09.59.jpg
    ScreenHunter_26 Dec. 22 09.59.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 145

shoresigns

I didn't have time to test the PSD file I attached here yesterday. I've never tested spot colours on raster with our RIP before, but after testing it this morning, it looks like it might be an issue of the RIP being incompatible with spot colours in the formats we're giving it.

I'm on Versaworks, but it doesn't see the spot colours in the TIFF file either. I tried a couple of PDF files with different options and I got Versaworks to recognize the spot colour, but it still shows as white on the preview image. I'll post back here if I manage to figure it out.

altereddezignz

I didn't have time to test the PSD file I attached here yesterday. I've never tested spot colours on raster with our RIP before, but after testing it this morning, it looks like it might be an issue of the RIP being incompatible with spot colours in the formats we're giving it.

I'm on Versaworks, but it doesn't see the spot colours in the TIFF file either. I tried a couple of PDF files with different options and I got Versaworks to recognize the spot colour, but it still shows as white on the preview image. I'll post back here if I manage to figure it out.

Your doing the same thing i am doing with saving as different files and trying it out. Thanks for the help maybe i am just missing something.. not sure.

shoresigns

After some more digging online, apparently you're supposed to use a DCS 2.0 EPS file if you want to export spot colours from Photoshop. Then I found a doc from Roland stating that Versaworks does not support additional spot colours in DCS 2.0 files, so I think it's game over for me, but you should definitely give that a try and see if Onyx supports it.

altereddezignz

After some more digging online, apparently you're supposed to use a DCS 2.0 EPS file if you want to export spot colours from Photoshop. Then I found a doc from Roland stating that Versaworks does not support additional spot colours in DCS 2.0 files, so I think it's game over for me, but you should definitely give that a try and see if Onyx supports it.

Found the same website i think you did haha. About to try the DCS 2.0

altereddezignz

File opens and rips as a black. Even shows no pantone color like the others..

More testing lol

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_26 Dec. 22 12.31.jpg
    ScreenHunter_26 Dec. 22 12.31.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 125

dypinc

Doesn't Versaworks support PDF files with spot colors? Sure it must, and you can save a PDF with spot colors from PS.

altereddezignz

Just incase anyone want to make sure the color is being typed or used right when saving the pantone name here is the pantone name in onyx.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_26 Dec. 22 12.37.png
    ScreenHunter_26 Dec. 22 12.37.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 134

shoresigns

Doesn't Versaworks support PDF files with spot colors? Sure it must, and you can save a PDF with spot colors from PS.
Yes, but as far as I can tell, the spot colours in the artwork have to be vector. I managed to get Versaworks to recognise a Pantone colour in a PDF from Photoshop this morning, but it doesn't recognise the artwork in the single-colour raster layer - it just shows up as white in the preview window.

dypinc

Yes, but as far as I can tell, the spot colours in the artwork have to be vector. I managed to get Versaworks to recognise a Pantone colour in a PDF from Photoshop this morning, but it doesn't recognise the artwork in the single-colour raster layer - it just shows up as white in the preview window.

You did check for the spot channel in the PDF in Acrobat? If it is there and shows correct then it sure must be a Versaworks issue. A PDF with a raster spot channel shows up as a correct spot in Colorgate.

shoresigns

You did check for the spot channel in the PDF in Acrobat? If it is there and shows correct then it sure must be a Versaworks issue. A PDF with a raster spot channel shows up as a correct spot in Colorgate.

Yes it's there in Acrobat and Illustrator, and Acrobat identifies the spot colour in pre-flight.

One potential problem I see when I open it in Illustrator is that the CMYK layer (with no transparency) appears to be on top of the spot colour layer, effectively covering it up so you can't see it. This matches what Versaworks shows in the preview window, but Acrobat renders it just fine. Here's the file if you want to have a look (attached).

Attachments

• pantone-blue-test.pdf
    823.9 KB · Views: 174

dypinc

Yes it's there in Acrobat and Illustrator, and Acrobat identifies the spot colour in pre-flight.

One potential problem I see when I open it in Illustrator is that the CMYK layer (with no transparency) appears to be on top of the spot colour layer, effectively covering it up so you can't see it. This matches what Versaworks shows in the preview window, but Acrobat renders it just fine. Here's the file if you want to have a look (attached).

It's your over print settings. If you uncheck Simulate Overprint it will be white in Acrobat.

altereddezignz

Look at comment #8

:)

Oh i am by no means saying your wrong by any means. I just figured someone might have found a workaround or something. I have so many files created in illustrator that i would need to work with in photoshop and for them to match. Thats my issue..

dypinc

Oh i am by no means saying your wrong by any means. I just figured someone might have found a workaround or something. I have so many files created in illustrator that i would need to work with in photoshop and for them to match. Thats my issue..

Two choice as I see it.

Do the output CMYK values for your printer with Color Replacement on the RIP.

Or, make the input match by creating the same color from Il and PS, meaning both Pantone Spot or both RGB having the same working RGB profile.

Both methods have been demonstrated here, and work.

altereddezignz

Two choice as I see it.

Do the output CMYK values for your printer with Color Replacement on the RIP.

Or, make the input match by creating the same color from Il and PS, meaning both Pantone Spot or both RGB having the same working RGB profile.

Both methods have been demonstrated here, and work.

One issue. When creating in RGB even if you enter the same RGB values for a swatch in photoshop it still doesnt print the correct color after ripped in onyx as the one does from illustrator.

I think easiest way would be to use the color replace. Only issue i can see there would be in any gradients.

dypinc

One issue. When creating in RGB even if you enter the same RGB values for a swatch in photoshop it still doesnt print the correct color after ripped in onyx as the one does from illustrator.

I think easiest way would be to use the color replace. Only issue i can see there would be in any gradients.

If your using the same RGB values in Illustrator as Photoshop and not getting the same print then you have a color management issue.