• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I'm furious

skyhigh

The wife calls me from my daughters house, and tells me to throw away a box of "Teddy Grahams" she had bought a couple weeks ago, for our 4 year old. It seems she took a pack with her for our granddaughter (1 year old), for a treat.

After a brief explanation, she tells me to open a pack and smell. OMG, these things smelled like a combination of paint, diesel fuel and the stuff "Green Thumb Lawn Care" sprays on the neighbors grass............ TOXIC.
NO EXAGGERATION!!!

Being a Sunday, I was unable to reach a customer service rep. at Nabisco, so I started a search on line. I found dozens of posts on numerous consumer affairs sites. One poster said the nabisco rep thought the product must be out of date (hah, still no reason for this gawd awful smell), but I did check. This product was out of date for A YEAR!!!!!

So now I decide to write the company (dollarGeneral) where she bought the box. There is no reason, with the technology today, that any product could or should be shipped, that is beyond expiration. Having past work experience for the country's 3rd largest food wholesaler, I know how stringent expiration dates are, and the scanning process to prevent these things.

I'm expecting calls from both, after my not so nice emails. I may even have the package tested myself (don't know what is involved there).

One thing that many of you may not know...... many of our foods are not processed or packaged in the USA. These particular snacks are produced by "Kraft GLOBAL"inc. I can almost guarantee these were produced in one of our 3rd world countries, then distributed here. When I was a kid, the only foods NOT raised or produced in this country were macadamia nuts, pineapples and exotic other foods & spices (the no-brainer things)

the FDA, USDA and the bunch are a joke, and a waste of taxpayer money anymore. I'm beginning to think there is a connection, with the rise of Alzheimers, ADHD, and many forms of cancer.

Plant a garden and raise your own beef. Mosh can teach us all a lesson.

I'm so furious....this is a food we purchase for our kids.

sorry for the rant.

fmg

Tell me you ain't surprised.Lazy B@st@rds should check the sell by dates on produce in the stores!

Locals Find!

Contact Dollar General on facebook they monitor regularly. Let them know what occurred. I have communicated with them many times through facebook and they are very responsive.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Eat organic and buy local...

As opposed to eating inorganic? Since the mindless granola eating idiots preempted the term 'organic' and it's cousin 'natural' [as opposed to 'unnatural' or maybe 'supernatural'] it has provided me with constant source of a bizarre combination of amusement and irritation.

Ans then there's the 'buy local'. Why? Perhaps when things were shipped by wagon train and camel caravan but not today. I buy far higher quality and fresher seafood here in Colorado than I ever did when I abided right on the ocean in California.

If you can't pronounce the ingredients it isn't food.

Or you're illiterate.

skyhigh

....now you know why I HUNT... for meat. :wink:

LOL.... Brian, the teacher may look at our 4 year old a little funny when she brings an elk burger for her snack at pre-school.

I can only imagine when its her turn to bring the treat for the rest of the class......a bunch of 4 year olds eating moose jerkey. :Big Laugh

(still mad enough to chew nails....but I couldn't resist the laugh)

skyhigh

I buy far higher quality and fresher seafood here in Colorado than I ever did when I abided right on the ocean in California.

Thats because Colorado is closer to Maine than California.
Maine Lobster.....mmmmm tasty little crustaceans.

HulkSmash

Not sure it's Nabisco's problem...
It's more of Dollar Generals problem. I promise you they just shipped it out of one of their warehouses... they can care less what date is on it. Last time i went to dollar general i got a Snapple that was 3 years old. I about threw up... Haven't been back since.. the place is disgusting....and i feel like i'm going to catch something walking through there.

signage

LOL.... Brian, the teacher may look at our 4 year old a little funny when she brings an elk burger for her snack at pre-school.

I can only imagine when its her turn to bring the treat for the rest of the class......a bunch of 4 year olds eating moose jerkey. :Big Laugh

(still mad enough to chew nails....but I couldn't resist the laugh)

Those 4 year olds will all have a big smile on their faces until your grand daughter tells them you killed bullwinkle to make the Jerky :omg::Big Laugh

....now you know why I HUNT... for meat.

No unnatural ingreediants thats for sure!:rolleyes::munchie:

I'm usually furious, too, when something like this happens to me, but more at myself than the store. I bought a jar of peanut butter last year that was like chalk when I opened it. Two years out of date. I bought a box of Triscuits last night and when I got home I noticed the box was damaged and they were not fresh.

Both instances would have been easily avoided if I had been paying attention. People check dates on meat, milk, eggs, etc. Why not check other stuff as well? It's on there for a reason.

tsgstl

Dollar General, Big lots all those Dollar stores ain't the place to buy food. First time I went in one of those places I got stoked when I saw a pack of like 10 Kit Kats for a buck. I thought I had finally found paradise. They were turning white like a dog turd in a drought.

fmg

Even worse, I went to a local savings store to pick up some Kids cold medicine the melts that dissolve on the tongue.They had around a dozen boxes on the shelf each one was 4 months past the expiry date.That is just not right!

briankb

Premium Subscriber
My friend who lives about 1/2 mile from a brand new DG store in my area. Stopped going there after getting some bad milk. He said it wasn't expired but it wasn't "right" either and through it out.