• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I'm furious

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I have to agree with skyhigh.. it's silly to check expiration dates on everything... only milk/eggs/cheese and yogurt...and other random stuff...

but no to chips, crackers, or cookies...

Hey, I have no problem with that. I agree, we should not have to check these things. However, if we don't..... then the statement about expiration dates being there for manufacturers, wholesalers, retailers, and eventually for in-store personnel is not true, since you and some others have said they do indeed check these dates on some things, but choose not to check it on others. If you pick and choose what you check... then for some reason, you must think it's important, but not all the time.

Personally, I don't worry about expiration dates on a tube of glue, bag of rubber bands or paper plates. However, as I mentioned, times are much different today and with so many people handling this stuff and dealing with people you don't know, I wouldn't leave it up to perfect strangers as to the well-being of what I or my wife put in my family's mouths. I'd start taking full responsibility. If we can't trust them for putting illegal things in our dog food, lip stick and other items we might ingest, why trust them to read a simple date.

To me it's kinda the same thinking behind defensive driving. It's hard enough with the way traffic is, but to not drive defensively is foolish. You always have to be on the alert for yourself and now even the other guy.... so why not do the same for the important things you're gonna eat ??

Remember, I believe the same way you and sky think.... except one slight difference. I've seen this happen to so many others, that I take an even heavier view in watching out for myself and my family. It's harder, but at least I'm not relying on someone else. Should something go wrong... at least I took every precaution I could.... or at least thought I could.

Why not step up to the times and start monitoring closer what we have in our homes. Not only read ingredients, but the little date to the bottom of the box or can. :thumb:

OldPaint

nasty schit in a $1 store...gee what a surprise))))))
2ndly............LEARNING FROM MOSH..............now thats scary))))

skyhigh

the statement about expiration dates being there for manufacturers, wholesalers, retailers, and eventually for in-store personnel is not true, since you and some others have said they do indeed check these dates on some things, but choose not to check it on others.

A simple answer to your question Gino. I check the expiration dates on short term perishable items like MILK, only because it has such a small window of freshness. Mistakes happen.....should they miss the outdated Milk by 1 week, thats a big deal......If they miss the pringles potato chips by a week, I doubt anyone would tell the difference. But who would expect any reputable company to miss an outdated product by 1 year?

Why not step up to the times

In this day and age, a grocery chain can tell you how many items they have in the store, how many they sells a week, what date the product was received into inventory.... AND THE EXPIRATION DATE ON EVERY BOX ON THE SHELF........give or take a reasonable amount of time. Rotating stock (for a reputable company) is as difficult as posting on signs101. With their scanners, computers & tracking software, a grocery store chain is a true "Modern Marvel"

Now the reason for my post (just so Gino doesn't think I'm "Pissin" in his cornflakes)....
I did receive a call from Kraft. They assured me the product was made in the US (although he admitted some of the same product is not), and this particular box was manufactured in October of 2010 (exp date was 3/6/11). The fella I spoke with was helpful and is sending a "return label" so I can ship them a few bags.

I had to agree when he said the major problem was age of the product (100% DollarGen. fault). In turn, he agreed when I explained how the consumer feels when they open a rancid package of their product, with their company name staring the buyer in the face. He assured me an investigation into DG's practices would happen. (I have my doubts).

As of now, I haven't heard a word from DG.

Locals Find!

[/LIST]

I'm 38 not really overweight at all, pretty in shape, I eat mostly home cooked food by me. I do eat fast food for lunch 3 days out of the week. But I battled reflux for over a year. Taking Zantac sometimes 3 times a day. Someone told me to not eat 3 hours before I went to bed and it will go away. I have had a tall glass of Hershey chocolate milk with a snack every night almost my entire life before I went to bed. I cut that out and no more reflux and I lost 14lbs in a month.

The reason your reflux went away after cutting out the milk. Is because milk is one of the hardest foods to actually digest. I suffer from reflux regularly from just about anything I eat. I can tell you that milk, smoking, refined white flour, & alcohol are some of the worst causes. I learned all this from a variety of Doctors teaching me how to get mine under control to where I could actually make it through a day without the Nexium.

Sorry to :threadwith all the other mumbo jumbo being tossed around I thought some clear Medically backed information being tossed out wouldn't hurt.

rjssigns

Too bad there isn't a way to accurately decode barcodes to find country of origin.
"The 3-digit prefix indicates the country of the GS1 organization that issued the block of numbers, not the country of origin of the product".

http://www.adams1.com/faq.html

SD&F

So tell me more about the Apple Cider Vinegar....I know all the Asians(they are always looking out me) that live up here in the hills swear by it. I bought it but have not used it because I don't know how much or how often.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Dollar General, Big lots all those Dollar stores ain't the place to buy food. First time I went in one of those places I got stoked when I saw a pack of like 10 Kit Kats for a buck. I thought I had finally found paradise. They were turning white like a dog turd in a drought.

:ROFLMAO: Real question ... did you man up and eat them anyways? :covereyes::Big Laugh

TopFliteGraphics

Well, I know I am new here but on the topic of "natural" is always better, I remind my wife constantly not to buy into that fallacy too much, after all Arsenic is natural as well. And risin is made from Castor Beans.

I always read ingredients and expiration dates. I am VERY allergic to MSG and they slip that crap into all sorts of things nowaday!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Precisely sky........ it happens, and sometimes they slip up. So, why not be the next in line to help stop the problem from happening.... at least to your own family ?? That's all I'm saying. What happened to you, I've seen happen to many people. It happens far more in these cheap kinda stores where no one seems to care if you even stop in to shop. It's all about the bottom line and if there are some casualties... so be it. You're just considered a statistic.

However, in a more reputable grocery store.... the actual manufacturers have representatives who come out weekly and change out stock, re-arrange the bags and boxes and move older dates to the front.

I can't believe that with cereals, juices bags of anything.... you just take the first one off the shelf and throw it into the cart. I generally will look for the newest/latest date and put that in my basket.... with just about anything.

Color... sky..... we're all different and shop, eat and act differently. I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else into shopping by looking at each and every date or ingredients in an entire shopping cart, but it can't hurt to maybe consider doing it more regularly. Heck, it's happened to you personally and you still are defending not having to check it out for yourself. How close do you wanna come to have you or your kids' stomach pumped due to another bout with something like this ?? A simple 2 second read will maybe save a trip to the doctor or possibly a hospital.

I'm sorry, you're not p!ssin' in my cereal. I know what's in mine and when it was made...... :ROFLMAO: sorry, couldn't resist that one.

Seriously, I'm not doing anything wrong, so don't feel you need to teach me how to shop and what milk or Pringles carton to buy. And you are so correct that these companies do have the technology to do everything you say, but the employees simply don't give a rat's a$$...... do they ?? When a cheap store hires kids for minimum wage... you're putting things on the line based on some pimply faced kid who just finished texting to make sure the shelves are safe for everyone's consumption ?? More power to ya bro'. You got more faith in your fellow man than me.

skyhigh

it's happened to you personally and you still are defending not having to check it out for yourself.

I'm not defending anything....and I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm furious because I shouldn't HAVE TO worry about simple things like this.

I'm sorry, you're not p!ssin' in my cereal. I know what's in mine and when it was made
No you don't...... :ROFLMAO:
the next time you purchase that "fresh" box of cereal, how do you know that some guy on the production line didn't rub a handful of coco puffs on his balls, then throw them in your box? Or how about McD's? Those same pimple faced kids you talk about, are the ones who mixed up that "special" sauce in the back room. (just a few things to think about)

Yeah, thats pretty strange, but I bet a lot worse things have happened to items you have purchased......even the boxes with the freshest of dates.

Last edited: