• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Impossible to cut?

Tim Aucoin

I have a customer who is hell bent on getting this cut for the side windows of his truck. I've tried on the enVision with 220 with no luck thus far. Size is approximately 8" wide by 6" high. Now... is the detail just too intricate to cut realistically, or do I need to really tweak something. It's frustrating me to no end and I'm not about to waste any more 220 on this if it's an impossible job to cut! :banghead::banghead:

Attachments

• Paslan Side Window.jpg
    Paslan Side Window.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 89

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
the filigree is gonna get tricky, but make sure the depth is good...not too deep but not to shallow....and slow it down like crazy...it'll take awhile to cut...

J Hill Designs

6" x 8" is too small...wouldn't be able to read the sub-copy from more than like 2 feet away...I would really want the edge print that on clear with a contour cut...

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
To me the issue is not if you can cut it but if you SHOULD cut it. My experience has been that when it gets hard to cut and weed that it won't stay very well once applied. There's just not enough adhesive in contact with the surface to stay attached when it gets rubbed.

I think you should look at Edge printing the design on clear with a contour cut.

Tim Aucoin

Appreciate the feedback! :notworthy: I like the idea of printing on clear. I agree with your statement on the adhesion issues Fred... I'll offer him white print on clear, contour cut and move on with my day!

Why does the guy want scrollwork and his phone number twice the size of what he does, anyway? I always shake my head at clients who want the most important part of the sign to be emphasized the least.

JR's

on small stuff like scrolls when it is giving me a hard time I outline it with round corners real light like .003 then cut the out line in stead.

JR

petepaz

To me the issue is not if you can cut it but if you SHOULD cut it. My experience has been that when it gets hard to cut and weed that it won't stay very well once applied. There's just not enough adhesive in contact with the surface to stay attached when it gets rubbed.

I think you should look at Edge printing the design on clear with a contour cut.

yeah what fred said

Baz

On a vehicle Fred is right ... There wouldn't be enough adhesive to hold the graphic for a long time. He would be loosing pieces shortly after he drove off. So the clear printing would be the best option. If this would be required for a flat stock application. A good tip would be to weed it AFTER it has been stuck on the material.

Si Allen

It would be much easier to grab an empty vinyl tube to whack him on the head and shoulders and tell him to go bother someone else!

:banghead::banghead: ...... :ROFLMAO:

gabagoo

I agree with Fred but some people just dont want to see the clear vinyl afterwards.
I can't say I would do a job like this but if I had no choice I might weed the easier stuff then leave the vinyl around the complex stuff and weed it right off the window after it is applied. Still a nightmare!!!

tamiya

old thread but what the hey, haven't been in here for a long while... :)

possible to cut but design is waaay too intricate to last on the outside vehicle exterior

would survive longer if mirrored to apply on the inside of the glass

print would be best; if they don't like seeing clear vinyl edges then print it so big
it covers whole side glass (assuming rear/fixed smaller window) so seams go to edge

anotherdog

I agree with Fred but some people just dont want to see the clear vinyl afterwards.
I can't say I would do a job like this but if I had no choice I might weed the easier stuff then leave the vinyl around the complex stuff and weed it right off the window after it is applied. Still a nightmare!!!

:thumb:

I also have to second the thing can't last on the outside of the glass.
The first time you clean it half the fine lines will be gone.

This is a print on clear thing.