• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6850 & Intel MB DQ35JOE

There is a sale at our local Frye's Electronics for Motherboard and processor bundle. Price is 369.99. What do you guys think of this. Do you think this would be good with 4 GB of memory for workhorse for signs? Graphics, flexisign, photoshop, illustrator, CS3 suite? X4???

Any suggestions appreciated!

Valentino

I just got the Q6600 Quad, I like it, very fast at photoshop.

test:
make a 30" by 72" 300dpi file and then get your gradient tool and click from the topleft corner and drag to the center. my computer takes 4 seconds to fill.

PartyMatt

There is a sale at our local Frye's Electronics for Motherboard and processor bundle. Price is 369.99. What do you guys think of this. Do you think this would be good with 4 GB of memory for workhorse for signs? Graphics, flexisign, photoshop, illustrator, CS3 suite? X4???

Any suggestions appreciated!

I'm a former computer tech and I (and all the other techs I know) buy almost exclusively from newegg.com. Newegg has the same parts for $387.98 + shipping (around $8). With sales tax Frye's will be about the same. Make sure Frye's is giving you the retail version of the CPU that includes the heatsink, otherwise you'll have to buy one.

That Intel motherboard is a bit on the pricey side for what you get. Figure out what features are important to you and do a little shopping on newegg. You might save $30-$50 on the MB.

An E6850 paired with some fast RAM can handle anything you throw at it. Faster is always better, but if that is the processor you can afford, then it should do fine for you.

Valentino

I got it in my new dell. I got Q6600 pc (basically just the processor, motherboard, I upgraded to 4gigs G.skill memory, 300gig hard drive, and nice hdmi video card for $600.00

Yes, thank you for the advise. We get everything here without tax. So I will at least save on that. I have 4gb of PC5300 DDR2 sticks already That I plan to use. But Will upgrade in the near future to 8 gb of 800 mhz ram.

grafixemporium

I just threw together a beast of a Core 2 Quad 6600 system... I bought all the parts from TigerDirect.com. Barebones package with case, 500w powersupply, Intel motherboard and Core 2 Quad 6600 OEM processor and 2 gigs of RAM was around $550. Throw in the biggest, baddest copper heatsink/fan I've ever seen, a 500gig Seagate Barracuda hard drive, DVD burner, keyboard, mouse and Windows XP... I built one helluva monster system for about $1000. I think I did pretty good considering what $1k will buy you from Dell.

The last computer I built was a P4 2.0GHZ back in 2002. At the time, I thought that thing screamed and there was no way I'd ever need anything faster. Well lemme tell you... this quad core thing leaves my P4 in the dust!

511graphix

I love my quad 4 tooo! I have 8gigs of ram but running XP so i only get to use half. but when I get vista I am ready.

pacmn

core 2 quad q6600 is the way to go i have mine overclocked at 3.1 whit passive air it screams in photo shop, i trow everything at it and keeps asking for more

Paid $275

grafixemporium

I love my quad 4 tooo! I have 8gigs of ram but running XP so i only get to use half. but when I get vista I am ready.

I think I'd rather stick with XP and have only 4 gigs of memory than go with Vista and 8 gigs. Every MS release since the beginning of time gets more and more resource hungry. It's almost as if AMD and Intel have to continue creating faster and faster processors just to keep up with the operating systems that MS creates.