Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just an observation...

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by jimbug72, Sep 22, 2020.

1. jimbug72

jimbug72 Member

Oct 25, 2008
    South Carolina
    I could be wrong, but I've noticed it seems that if your screen name indicates that you might be female, and you post looking for help, folks will be knocking each other over trying to offer helpful tidbits and words of encouragement.

If your screen name indicates you are a male and you post asking for help there's a 50/50 chance you're either gonna get help or torn to shreds...or both at the same time.

Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me?

I'm not complaining, or defending, or making some type of statement, or trying ruffle any feathers, or get any kind of discussion going about politcs, religion or sexism. Just stating an observation that I find mildly amusing.

Tags:
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. jochwat

jochwat Graphics Department

Oct 15, 2016
    Michigan City, IN
    Welcome to Earth, my extra-terrestrial friend! Do you not find similar activity on your home planet? :D

• Like Like x 4
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 3
  3. White Haus

White Haus Formally known as RJPW..........

Apr 6, 2018
    Winnipeg
    I thought you were going to say that you noticed the Google analytics thread disappeared. (I noticed)

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  4. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Very Active Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    I don't really see that. There's only 1 or 2 screen names that I'd assumer to be girls, 1 is pretty obvious. I think people help those who come across as capable, even with basic questions. Then there are those that come across as if they failed kindergarten. Nobody wants to waste their time with them cuz as the saying goes, you can't fix stupid.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Lotta

Lotta New Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Germany
    That is discriminating, the people here think females are more need of being helped ... a shame. And all over the world women cry about being differently threatened. I say no ! We want to be thorn to shreds as well.
    :D:D:D:D:D

Just kidding, it is really unfair. I can do things as a woman man would be hit in the face for. There wasn't and will be no equal rights between men and woman. Did you know that we have here in Germany Quota of Woman established by the government for Jobs in high ranking positions??? Sorry but i don't want to be a quoted woman, I want that job for my skills.

I really appreciate your amusement of this observation because it is still so established in the human society. And I snigger once in a while myself.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Lotta

Lotta New Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Germany
    Me too ... now it is not off topic ;)

7. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I too came looking for the google analytics thread!

8. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    No, I didn't notice what the OP is talking about. I think it was said correctly that if you come across sincere and not some back door d!ckwad, you'll get help regardless of your name, avatar or question(s).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    We are polite and open doors for women.
    Yes Google thread taken off, probably my doing google doodles.

• Like Like x 1
  10. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    My first thinking would be, what are the questions that they are asking? Are those questions really niche and therefore, maybe not as many may have come across the issue and/or solution? Or are they general that a lot of people would have encountered and/or solved or know of a solution?

Then, of course, how it is worded? Is it detailed enough to actually get what is trying to be solved and/or the grammar used (and I'm not talking needing to have Pulitzer level here) to where the reader's head hurts from trying to decipher everything?

I tend to look at those things versus trying to think if I want to respond to someone based on gender.

11. jimbug72

jimbug72 Member

Oct 25, 2008
    South Carolina
    Well, I was mostly saying that I've never seen a "female name" torn to shreds on this forum. Can't necessarily say I've seen one make a post deserving of it either, but I've seen people really get blasted when they didn't really deserve it, (IMHO). I'm not saying is hasn't happened to a "female" screen name but I've just not read a thread here that comes to mind.

I'm not attacking or accusing anyone of anything. Heck, I'd be just as guilty to be less snarky to a "female's" post as the next guy. I was just making a casual observation

12. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I notice this here and on Facebook too. I think it's a common male trait.
    On the flip side, I can't remember anytime a female member here ripped into another member.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Lotta

Lotta New Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Germany
    Probably we try to write our Problems a little more sensitive. Not so much testosterone or marking the territory. :p

@ jimbug72 ... I don't see you attacking anybody.

14. Solventinkjet

Solventinkjet DIY Printer Fixing Guide

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    I prefer helping women because they tend to work with me rather than against me. Men tend to think they know everything, believe me I am one, and question every suggestion I make!

15. Notarealsignguy

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    There was a girl that posted about buying a sign shop awhile back and got it pretty good from everyone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Johnny Best

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    Was that a girl trying to sell a sign shop, Notarealsigngirl?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Notarealsignguy

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    maybe, sounds like a good match to me. You got her number?

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 2
  18. Johnny Best

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    It was August 23, 2020
    Thriving Business For Sale by Julie A. Zeitzmann

19. Stacey K

Stacey K I like making signs

Jun 20, 2018
    Wisconsin
    It literally disappeared as I was typing a response! LMAO

20. Boudica

Boudica Active Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Spokane, WA
    what happened, was it taken down? Must have been a lively thread!