• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just an observation...

jimbug72

I could be wrong, but I've noticed it seems that if your screen name indicates that you might be female, and you post looking for help, folks will be knocking each other over trying to offer helpful tidbits and words of encouragement.

If your screen name indicates you are a male and you post asking for help there's a 50/50 chance you're either gonna get help or torn to shreds...or both at the same time.

Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me?

I'm not complaining, or defending, or making some type of statement, or trying ruffle any feathers, or get any kind of discussion going about politcs, religion or sexism. Just stating an observation that I find mildly amusing.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I don't really see that. There's only 1 or 2 screen names that I'd assumer to be girls, 1 is pretty obvious. I think people help those who come across as capable, even with basic questions. Then there are those that come across as if they failed kindergarten. Nobody wants to waste their time with them cuz as the saying goes, you can't fix stupid.

Lotta

That is discriminating, the people here think females are more need of being helped ... a shame. And all over the world women cry about being differently threatened. I say no ! We want to be thorn to shreds as well.
:D:D:D:D:D

Just kidding, it is really unfair. I can do things as a woman man would be hit in the face for. There wasn't and will be no equal rights between men and woman. Did you know that we have here in Germany Quota of Woman established by the government for Jobs in high ranking positions??? Sorry but i don't want to be a quoted woman, I want that job for my skills.

I really appreciate your amusement of this observation because it is still so established in the human society. And I snigger once in a while myself.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No, I didn't notice what the OP is talking about. I think it was said correctly that if you come across sincere and not some back door d!ckwad, you'll get help regardless of your name, avatar or question(s).

WildWestDesigns

I could be wrong, but I've noticed it seems that if your screen name indicates that you might be female, and you post looking for help, folks will be knocking each other over trying to offer helpful tidbits and words of encouragement.

My first thinking would be, what are the questions that they are asking? Are those questions really niche and therefore, maybe not as many may have come across the issue and/or solution? Or are they general that a lot of people would have encountered and/or solved or know of a solution?

Then, of course, how it is worded? Is it detailed enough to actually get what is trying to be solved and/or the grammar used (and I'm not talking needing to have Pulitzer level here) to where the reader's head hurts from trying to decipher everything?

I tend to look at those things versus trying to think if I want to respond to someone based on gender.

jimbug72

Well, I was mostly saying that I've never seen a "female name" torn to shreds on this forum. Can't necessarily say I've seen one make a post deserving of it either, but I've seen people really get blasted when they didn't really deserve it, (IMHO). I'm not saying is hasn't happened to a "female" screen name but I've just not read a thread here that comes to mind.

I'm not attacking or accusing anyone of anything. Heck, I'd be just as guilty to be less snarky to a "female's" post as the next guy. I was just making a casual observation

Andy D

Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me?

I notice this here and on Facebook too. I think it's a common male trait.
On the flip side, I can't remember anytime a female member here ripped into another member.

Lotta

Probably we try to write our Problems a little more sensitive. Not so much testosterone or marking the territory. :p

@ jimbug72 ... I don't see you attacking anybody.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I prefer helping women because they tend to work with me rather than against me. Men tend to think they know everything, believe me I am one, and question every suggestion I make!

Stacey K

I like making signs
I haven't noticed that on Signs101. Maybe because I'm a woman?

For the record, I don't want to always be treated the same as a man. I like having the door opened for me and taken out to dinner. This weekend my boyfriend and our boys cut 2 cedar trees down and about 6 other smaller trees at my shop. I have NO interest in being a man with a chainsaw or a wood splitter. Six hours of hauling trees and branches - sucked A$S! Plus I got burdocks in my hair!

I suppose we can TRY to be equal, but then you may have to deal with MAN HANDS! (Seinfeld episode for those of you who don't know)

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    216.7 KB · Views: 200