• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just an observation...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Oh-h-h-h....................

I don't get it ??​

If your name is Sally, how can ya be hung ?? Unless its by a noose..... or is that not PC anymore ??

So, a show of hands (and not 15 high)....... how many Sallys are hung like a horse ??​

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Johnny, Gino - this is getting really weird now. Maybe time to re-evaluate the direction this is heading.

SeeEmWhyKay

Print Plug & Pigment Procurer
I've been in this industry for 15 years. If I had a dollar for every time a man tried to condescend me or assume I didn't know what I was talking about I wouldn't have to work any more. I have come to realize because I chose to be in this male dominated industry, I have a tendency to really push hard to prove myself and be the best at what I do, and that has given me certain advantages. I've also learned how to do enough research on my own to where when I need to ask a question I don't sound ignorant or uninformed- that always seems to get me better responses. Not going to lie though- it gives me much joy when I see my competition burned up because they got beaten by a girl. Try harder, boys. ;)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Johnny, Gino - this is getting really weird now. Maybe time to re-evaluate the direction this is heading.

Oh my..... you think this is weird ?? You oughta see what goes on at the weekly meetings with these people. Chandeliers, midgets, exotic animals and the music............. it just can't be beat.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I've been in this industry for 15 years. If I had a dollar for every time a man tried to condescend me or assume I didn't know what I was talking about I wouldn't have to work any more. I have come to realize because I chose to be in this male dominated industry, I have a tendency to really push hard to prove myself and be the best at what I do, and that has given me certain advantages. I've also learned how to do enough research on my own to where when I need to ask a question I don't sound ignorant or uninformed- that always seems to get me better responses. Not going to lie though- it gives me much joy when I see my competition burned up because they got beaten by a girl. Try harder, boys. ;)

Okay....... I get where you're coming from, but the statement you made seems a little, well....... prejudice. Other than having babies, isn't just about all industries really male driven ?? I mean for centuries, like 1,000s of years, men did most of the work or initiated it. Sure women were in the work force, but only recently, have they begun to get their heads above water and take credit for their own accomplishments..... and deservedly so. I don't see any industry today as being male dominated or anything else. Great strides have been made in the last few decades to stop that and they are working quite well. The only thing I see different is the introduction of all the new genders being added to the original 2. There are now 58 according to some leading minds, but there are more, if you listen to some of the other people coming up with new ways of looking at themselves.

Therefore, instead of making or considering yourself different, try to think of your self in the industry.... period. No one cares if you're young, old, male, female, short, tall, skinny or whatever...... we 're all in this together and we're all here for each other.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Nota..... that's not my girlfriend. That's my trombone player in the band. we don't really know what it is..... other than it plays a mean bone solo.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
The problem with this type of attitude is that you are always on the defensive and see slights where there are none. Your intolerance is no different than what you complain about is happening to you.
Question, you think that people get mad that they were beat by a girl, are they happy when they get beat by a guy?

SeeEmWhyKay

The problem with this type of attitude is that you are always on the defensive and see slights where there are none. Your intolerance is no different than what you complain about is happening to you.
Question, you think that people get mad that they were beat by a girl, are they happy when they get beat by a guy?

Notarealsignguy
I guess it's not really that deep- I only really see slights when they're obvious, and there have been plenty of cases of that. I don't go looking for reasons to be offended, I have much better things to do with my time and energy. I am not entirely sure what "intolerance" was inferred by my post.

And to answer your question- I only chuckle a little bit in the situations when I know they're burned up that it's ME, regardless of whether or not I wear a skirt.

And To Gino - I guess what I mean by male dominated is just what you said- that it's mostly men doing it- not that it is explicitly an industry that deters women. I am following you.

I think this all came off a bit too serious, I was trying to have a little fun :p

Stacey K

I like making signs
I haven't been treated differently by male customers that I can think of. In my area there are 2 sign shops and 2 shirt shops. All 4 owned by women LOL

As a woman landlord, I have definitely had more issues with male tenants respecting me than female. Of course, one was a transgender so I'm not sure how to count that one. That transgender jackwagon was one word away from getting the wrath of my pantless, beer drinking, chainsaw yielding boyfriend. But, thankfully it didn't come down to that LOL

(My boyfriend really isn't as redneck as I make him out to be, but it's too late to stop with the jokes now...)

SeeEmWhyKay

I haven't been treated differently by male customers that I can think of. In my area there are 2 sign shops and 2 shirt shops. All 4 owned by women LOL

As a woman landlord, I have definitely had more issues with male tenants respecting me than female. Of course, one was a transgender so I'm not sure how to count that one. That transgender jackwagon was one word away from getting the wrath of my pantless, beer drinking, chainsaw yielding boyfriend. But, thankfully it didn't come down to that LOL

(My boyfriend really isn't as redneck as I make him out to be, but it's too late to stop with the jokes now...)

The world would be a better place if more guys stopped caring about being "cool" and picked up a chainsaw and a lager. Cheers to guys like ours!

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I don't feel treated any differently - on this site. I still feel like a noob in this industry (it will be 5 years in January) so I won't tear into anyone else like some know-it-all. I'm a helpful person by nature, so I really only post if 1. I feel like i have a helpful answer 2. I want to see how bad my solution is - see if anyone tears it apart or 3. I'm trying to join in on the humor.
As for customers, like I said I'm helpful by nature, so they treat me like the friendly helpful person I am. I can tell when guys are extra nice because they think I'm cute - but I am cute so there you go. I just keep it professional and I expect the same. or my husband will come after you with his chainsaw (after my boss fires you as a customer):)

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You don't scare me............................. !!!!!

Anyway, where'd this white knight sh!t come from anyway ?? You do realize that equates to the KKK ?? Kinda a not so PC thing right about now. Some might even accuse you of some kinda supremacy deal, now. Gotta be careful how ya'll label things.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
See how things might get lost in the translation ?? My post was a tongue-in-cheek..............

unclebun

I've also learned how to do enough research on my own to where when I need to ask a question I don't sound ignorant or uninformed- that always seems to get me better responses.

This is the reason why people on the forum do or don't help or flame or ridicule others.

Stacey K

I like making signs
The world would be a better place if more guys stopped caring about being "cool" and picked up a chainsaw and a lager. Cheers to guys like ours!
I totally agree! The chainsaw is what brought my boyfriend and I together. He helped me after a big storm with some large fallen branches. I was in LOVE. The next week he built a bar in his family room and invited me over for a beer and some 80's music. It's been happily ever after since! LOL!!!!

CHEERS TO MEN LIKE OURS!!!

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
So I think what we have learned today, is that behind some awesome sign making women (at least 3), is an awesome man - who may or may not have used a chainsaw to twitterpate the awesome sign making woman. Just an observation. :)