• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just bought a new digital printer, what is the most profitable way to begin?

vinylink0331

Just bought a new 48" Mutoh Inkjet Printer, 54" Vinyl Express Cutter & 54" laminator. We have a lot of plans for the near future as to what we will be doing with it. We were wondering what is the best way to start generating income why we get a good feel for the package that we have purchased. We plan to do car wraps and things like that in the future, but we know that takes a lot of preparation and education. We are excited & can't wait to get started. We just got everything unpacked yesterday. :unclesam:

Techman

first you develop the market and the business model.. And then you buy the equipment you need.

In your case you have the machines but now must build a market.. good luck..

Fuzzbuster

Welcome EH:Canada 2:

Buy Onyx
Get good at knowing , tweeking and changing your profiles... for different medias.

If you cant do it yourself ...get the checkbook out ,hire someone...learn

and in a few years you WILL be ahead of many coming up thru the ranks:thumb:

Best a luck...

Flame

Kinda did things backwards here. You're supposed to have the business to NEED a printer, not a printer to NEED business.

Just start learning about the sign business and reading a lot on here. Figure out the machine, how to work it, how to make stuff look good, charge a good price and keep practicing.

vinylink0331

We do have a business, and more work than we can stand

We have been in this business for a little over a year and have been working seven days a week for the last 4 months. I was just seeing if anyone had any constuctive advise about our new equipment.

vinylink0331

Never Ceased to Amaze

Yeah, Sure have buddy! For your information, everyone is not a moron. So if you dont have anything good to say, Dont say it at all.

Techman

There are no shortcuts. You got the stuff. Now you got a steep learning curve to overcome. ITs not like operating a desktop laser. It will take you at least a few months to learn about profiles, color management, and general maintenance about your printer.

No one can just hand it to you. It aint there to be handed. You gotta spend some money to get your printer to make a good picture. Your goona need a pantone book. Your goona need colormetric equipment. So don't get all indignant if no one just hands you an answer..

vinylink0331

Who said I was asking someone to hand it to me?

I have been researching & investigating this market everyday for the last 6 or 7 months, we didnt just jump into this decision. We have checked out every stlye, make, & model of printer on the market, as well as suppliers, etc. Joining this forum was just another way of obtaining information for our business. We are constantly evaluating all the different aspects of this industry, so it was just a general question?

RedWolf

We have been in this business for a little over a year and have been working seven days a week for the last 4 months. I was just seeing if anyone had any constuctive advise about our new equipment.

Sounds a bit odd. Your first post you mentioned you just bought a printer, cutter, and laminator. Yet you have been in business for a year? Is the cutter the first one you have ever owned/used? You could not have possibly subbed out all of your work since you said you have been so busy. Been in the business for over a year and not sure what is the most profitable way....:help:

See how confusing this sounds to the other members here? Best bet is to give as much info as you possibly can when asking a question. We cannot see through the monitor to realize what the situation is.

Anyways, welcome to signs101.

Matt

vinylink0331

No we are already had a plotter and provide a lot of other things as well!

I said we got a new printer, i didnt say that I didnt already own one! Yes I have a plotter, We do not sub everything out!

juan45215

I don't know why there are so many cynical people on this board.

You'll get most of your digital work from your current vinyl customers. Make sure they know you have new capabilities. Have samples that show digital compared to vinyl.
We get a lot of work from designers and printers. We print their wide format stuff at a discount and they resale it to their customers.
Wrap you shop vehicle.

vinylink0331

Okay, Maybe I should have been more descriptive!

Sorry, This is the first question that I have ever posted on this forum, normally my husband reads all of this stuff & normally we just look for tips and things like that but we have never posted any questions, Next time Ill make sure to be more specific. But as for the equipment that we just purchased, I am still smiling. It is really going to make a huge impact on our business, we are the only company in our area that even has it, all of the sign companies around here have to sub out their work for large format printing, now we can be the company that they sub to. So we look forward to sharing some of our future projects with Signs 101.com

RedWolf

Not everyone...but most are. :thumb:

I agree with ya... I tried to hint a bit about giving more info and he/she jumps on my case thinking I should have known all the info he/she left out in the first post.

Really doing my best to be nice here..lmao

Matt

RedWolf

Sorry, This is the first question that I have ever posted on this forum, normally my husband reads all of this stuff & normally we just look for tips and things like that but we have never posted any questions, Next time Ill make sure to be more specific. But as for the equipment that we just purchased, I am still smiling. It is really going to make a huge impact on our business, we are the only company in our area that even has it, all of the sign companies around here have to sub out their work for large format printing, now we can be the company that they sub to. So we look forward to sharing some of our future projects with Signs 101.com

It is nice to have new stuff.

As far as how most are replying to your first post, take a break and then once your mind is clear, read what your first post says and does not say. Not to be mean, yet it did sound like you just bought the equipment and now are asking how to use it and start selling. After time goes by you will see that the majority here are very helpfull. It is a great bunch of sign people here.

Matt

vinylink0331

Thanks, Juan45415

Thanks appreciate the advice. We have had a lot of our customers ask for digital printing, cant wait till we can get everything up and running! We know it is going to be a challenge to learn everything while running a business full time and dealing with a 2 year old, but we are determined, hard workers, and dedicated to this business, we have no dought that we will be successful. Look forward to learning everything we can about this business.