• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just bought a new digital printer, what is the most profitable way to begin?

Joe Diaz

Don’t get mad, just understand… It was kind of a confusing question on our end. Maybe the original question was too vague. Can you elaborate what you need help figuring out? To some, including me, you more or less asked “how do I make money off of this equipment I just bought”. And to most the answer would normally and obviously be, this is an answer you should have figured out long before, you purchase the equipment, which you now have said you have done. So has the original question changed, or is there more to the question that we don’t know yet. Do you kind of see where we are coming form?

Personally buying a printer to jump directly into the wrap industry wouldn’t be the best approach. Build up to that market because experience plays a big role. That is unless in your market there is a huge need, which again you should know before making that commitment, and we wouldn’t be able to answer anyway, because we are not in your market.

We upgraded to a printer after years of layering vinyl and airbrushing fades, and before that years of hand lettering. Our number one seller is semi lettering and graphics. We bought the printer because we did our research and found that we would, in the long run, save lots of money, and time, and materials by doing prints rather then multi layer vinyl. Plus we would be able to design things that would have taken to long to produce before, thus making our products more eye catching and desirable. Now our printer is switched on and running all day and we use it much more then our old plotters. So really if you kind of get where some of us are coming from, there aren’t really any good answer we can give you.

took a look at your website. if you plan on doing work for others in our trade i'd really work on that...yikes it looks like you just pulled other pictures off of the internet

vinylink0331

I totally understand can i please delete that question

I was just in a hurry & asked a vague question, we were about to leave the shop but after all those comments, i just cant quit typing. But i understand no more vagure questions. I PROMISE

D

DARLAK

nice start buddy....

you will do well, just undercut you neighbor by 50% and wait a few years until someone tries it on you....

:)

jimmysigns

took a look at your website. yikes it looks like you just pulled other pictures off of the internet

I thought the same thing. they show a wrap but obviously didn't do it.
along with the blasted sign, gemini letters ....
good luck with your printer

activitydude

Don't take people like Darlak personally. The first time I asked for a critique of our website I got dissed for a week.:smile:

They start out kinda rough on Newbies but once you establish yourself they ain't that bad. The bitchers ususally drop it after awhile. :rolleyes:

R08

Remember,, whatever doesn't kill ya ... will make you stronger.

Keep your chin up and go get em..

Welcome!

Jackpine

vinylink.....make some prints and use them in your current business. Learn the equipment and software to incorporate it in your jobs as another level of value. Your web site shows a wrap. That is what people will expect from you for your skill level. Be prepared. Start with a few shop banners, redo your logo in full color so customers can see what you do.

vinylink0331

Thanks for the Advice

We are planning to hold an official Grand Opening. We recently joined our local Chamber of Commerce and REally wanted to have a ribbon cutting ceremony. So after we decided to get this equipment, we knew that this would be the time to show off our new capabilities. We plan to donate some things to our community and local highschools as well as the City of Whiteville. The Grand Opening & Charitable Donations will surely be a great way to reintroduce the public to Vinyl Ink. So once we get everything up and running & we are printing top-quality work, we are going to make up a few examples of the different capabilities that we now will be able to provide. Setting up booths and marketing survey's at the Grand Opening will show potential customers the impact are services can provide their own business. We also are going to Wrap our 2 company Vehicles, As well as my sister's for practice and examples of our work. I will post the pics on here!

Also, Can't wait to go to the Sign & Graphics Show this weekend in Charlotte, NC. Anyone else going?

jiarby

Think about overhauling your website. If you show pictures of signs make sure they are YOUR work.

You show Neon, Braille/ADA, Gilded & Carved HDU, Electrical backlit....but do you do those things??

vinylink0331

Website

My website was designed by the company that we go through. We have only made a few changes. The pics that are on there are copyright free images that we were able to upload out of their database. WE provide neon signs and brail by outsourcing it with companies that we have wholesale accounts with. Our website looks like crap right now, I havent had a chance to upload our pics and work yet, check back in a couple of weeks.

oc63rag

I'm not trying to dogpile here, but I have to agree with the other posts regarding your purchase/seeking advice on what markets to pursue. I would think your clients would steer you in a specific direction when it comes to new equipment. As a result, you would already have your market as soon as you install your new equipment.
Either way, good luck and have fun.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
The most profitable thing you can print? Ransom notes.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
As in anything…. ‘putting the cart before the horse’ isn’t always the best way to introduce yourself…. anywhere. Whether you’re striking out at making friends here on :signs101: or not… won’t be your biggest problem compared to having an ‘Open House’ and not being capable of doing the smallest of tasks when asked to demonstrate your new toy. People will be swarming around and asking questions right and left and if you don’t have quick-accurate answers…. you could just be creating the wrong type of reputation.

Most here…. are in fact, quite on, regardless of the language they used. How you use this information can work to your advantage…. or not. If you get stressed out at our answers…. how are you going to treat the people at your ‘Open House’ ?? You can’t snap at people just because you don’t like their particular form of conversation. You won’t have the opportunity to re-think your answers and give a second or third reply based on information you decided to utilize. Besides, I’m sure some local sigh people will show up….. just to trip you up. That’s how local competition works. Get used to it.

Oh yeah and……welcome from PA……………………………​

GARY CULY

Welp Way I Figure .if Your Gona Wrap Your 2 Vehicles Plus Your Sisters .make All That Stuff Up For The Schools ,etc ,have A Ribbon Cutting Ceremony ..everything You Listed There Is Bout 3 Months Of Work If You Never Even Printed Anything Yet ...so Get Busy! Id Say In A Month You Might Have Some Decent Banners Made ...that 600.00 Plus A Roll For 52 Inch 3m 180 On The Wraps Are Gonna Kill That Expence Budget ,oh And Thats Not Counting The Laminate ,inks ,labor And Hours Of Figuring Out How To Put It On ........your Gonna Be Real Busy People There

jdb

If you are allready doing 7 days a week non-stop I can't see how you are going to be able to figure things out in any less than 3 months for a ribbon cutting. I would have your ribbon cutting now and let your future customers know that you have just added a new printer, and in the near future you'll be up and running with it to supply all thier digital needs.

Fuzzbuster

Welp Way I Figure .if Your Gona Wrap Your 2 Vehicles Plus Your Sisters .make All That Stuff Up For The Schools ,etc ,have A Ribbon Cutting Ceremony ..everything You Listed There Is Bout 3 Months Of Work If You Never Even Printed Anything Yet ...so Get Busy! Id Say In A Month You Might Have Some Decent Banners Made ...that 600.00 Plus A Roll For 52 Inch 3m 180 On The Wraps Are Gonna Kill That Expence Budget ,oh And Thats Not Counting The Laminate ,inks ,labor And Hours Of Figuring Out How To Put It On ........your Gonna Be Real Busy People There

Forgot the few years it`ll take to figure out tunning profiles to make it run rite...:cool:
depending on media ofcourse:rolleyes:

Besta luck