• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just stops printing and states Not Connected in VersaWorks

kanini

Do you access your print files on a network drive? Sometimes we need to log in to the network drive to avoid this problem due to restrictions in access from Versaworks.

yukon

I too tried every type of connection including direct from PC to printer with a crossover cable bypassing the router network. Still had the problem until I disabled my Teanviewer app. I nearly replaced the main board before figuring it out $$$.

Are you sure you don't have any apps for remote access or something that may conflict with your network?

Perhaps you can try running in safe mode?

Yukon

7_nebo_7

Thanks for All reply. Just now I have tried the next thinks: Turn off all heaters.Problem the same. It stops after 20 cm print. I Have tryed Use Safe Mode on Windows XP 32 bits. Printing about the half meters and stops. I take another laptop. format hard drive, Install fresh Windows XP professional. Install VersaWorks 4.1.1. No antiVirus, no Firewall, no other programs. File send from hard drive on the same laptop. direct connection, have 1,5m crossover cable. Run about 30 cm and it stops.
Also, I did before: I have different version of the F/W of the printer from 3.1 to 4.6 no luck. I Have try about 4 or 6 different PC with different Windows version from Win XP to Win 8.1. Problem the same. I also use different RIP Software. VersaWorks (2.4;3.2;4.1.1;5.1) ColorGate 5; FlexiSign 8; The problem is same.
It means is not a computer side or not a software side on computer. The F/W on the printer also not related. On the Service manual I found that you can UPDATE F/W of the network controller. It is BIN file. I don't know it is help or not, but I have finde only for XC540 network controller firmware. for VP 540 I don't have. IF Some body know where I can get, or maybe some other idea how I can fix that problem.
P.S It cut fine. All day no problem.

WrapYourCar

Versaworks printer stops half way through a print,

I would try restarting the printer, make sure you are printing a different type of file, i tried printing a PDF today, and for some reason it kept crashing my computer.. (restarting it completely). I turned it into a JPEG file and it fixed it, you could also try a different PC, perhaps the laptop has a fault network card or virus. The other reason could be the weather, make sure your room where you are printing is not too cold or too hot, otherwise the printer will automatically stop, (i think).

7_nebo_7

Restarting printer not help. In the working area is AC. All working day 20-25 C. I have used 5 different PC and problem the same.

yukon

I have the service manual for the VP540 if you need it. It is a 16mg file so I'll need to upload it to my ftp site so you can access it if you like let me know...

TonyBPS

similar problem with my vp540

I had a similar problem when i purchased my vp 6 years back, i noticed that sudden disconnection within versaworks when i was running jobs.

the problem was solved when we changed the ip range from the usual 192. etc etc it gets assigned with by the tech, down to 1.0.0.1, i first when into control panel on the pc, found the network card and took it off automatic and assigned the new ip address parameter, (just please check with your techs for the remainder of the settings)

then i went to the printer and changed its ip address too to fall within the range above eg: 1.0.0.3

Then re started versaworks and added the printer, problem was solved.

Funny enough i encountered another similar problem with my vp (the disconnection issue), (here in SA, we have very cold evenings and mornings during winter, temps around 5 degrees and lower), suddenly one day when we started using our vp for the first time in the winter months it suddenly disconnected, we couldn't get it to run more than 30%, we figured that as they day warmed up the problem stopped.

It went on for 3 days, then upon searching online for anyone else having a similar problem, we found a bloke from the UK was having similar issues, we deduced that the mother board was too cold and placed a small heater below the mother board area just to take the chill off and alas the problem stopped (we didnt hesitate to try and soon found that same solution also worked for us) till today Roland couldnt give me an explanation regarding the temp issue but yeah every winter it would fail until we warmed up the board.

so in conclusion it could be something with having its own dedicated ip range between a network card and printer, or something to do with temperature as someone else mentioned earlier in the thread.

But anyway good luck and keep updating us.

Jerrynski

Jerry Niewiadomski

Title says it all! VP540 using VersaWorks

Might finish a print...might go an inch then stop might go 2 feet then stop. Printer screen reads Now Processing...but Versaworks goes from printing to Not Connected.

No software or hardware upgrades at all. No new install of any software. No updates to VersaWorks.

VP540 directly connected to computer...via X-Over cable...computer does not go online (no virus protection)...computer does not do any editing or graphics. Just runs VersaWorks for printer. Been this way for nearly 3 years.

Have loaded versaworks on laptop connected x-over cable started to print then it quit. So eliminated other computer. Used original and new x-over cable on laptop and got same results. So eliminated the original x-over cable.

Anyone had to replace NIC in a printer? Ever heard of it going bad? A main board symptom?

I am new...but promise you have read and read and looked and looked before asking...but I am stumped.

Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction!

Any techs in the Pasadena California area???

Ordway Sign Supply SUCKS for service calls....or I should say lack of returning calls that need service!

Try getting a humidifier it helps but we still have the problem we are going to try and disable teanviwer

DoubleDiamond

It seemed ours was the network card on the printer, but before we installed this $900 part we tried another computer and it worked fine, so we replaced the network card in the pc and all is fine. We did however try 10 different things first and it came to be simply the network card on the pc, but yours sounds like the network card in the printer.
Hope this helps

Chiel

Too cold

I had a similar problem when i purchased my vp 6 years back, i noticed that sudden disconnection within versaworks when i was running jobs.

the problem was solved when we changed the ip range from the usual 192. etc etc it gets assigned with by the tech, down to 1.0.0.1, i first when into control panel on the pc, found the network card and took it off automatic and assigned the new ip address parameter, (just please check with your techs for the remainder of the settings)

then i went to the printer and changed its ip address too to fall within the range above eg: 1.0.0.3

Then re started versaworks and added the printer, problem was solved.

Funny enough i encountered another similar problem with my vp (the disconnection issue), (here in SA, we have very cold evenings and mornings during winter, temps around 5 degrees and lower), suddenly one day when we started using our vp for the first time in the winter months it suddenly disconnected, we couldn't get it to run more than 30%, we figured that as they day warmed up the problem stopped.

It went on for 3 days, then upon searching online for anyone else having a similar problem, we found a bloke from the UK was having similar issues, we deduced that the mother board was too cold and placed a small heater below the mother board area just to take the chill off and alas the problem stopped (we didnt hesitate to try and soon found that same solution also worked for us) till today Roland couldnt give me an explanation regarding the temp issue but yeah every winter it would fail until we warmed up the board.

so in conclusion it could be something with having its own dedicated ip range between a network card and printer, or something to do with temperature as someone else mentioned earlier in the thread.

But anyway good luck and keep updating us.

Thanx for this message. Warming up the mother board works for me.:thumb:

you design

I had the same problem!

Might finish a print...might go an inch then stop might go 2 feet then stop. Printer screen reads Now Processing...but Versaworks goes from printing to Not Connected.

No software or hardware upgrades at all. No new install of any software. No updates to VersaWorks.

VP540 directly connected to computer...via X-Over cable...computer does not go online (no virus protection)...computer does not do any editing or graphics. Just runs VersaWorks for printer. Been this way for nearly 3 years.

Have loaded versaworks on laptop connected x-over cable started to print then it quit. So eliminated other computer. Used original and new x-over cable on laptop and got same results. So eliminated the original x-over cable.

Anyone had to replace NIC in a printer? Ever heard of it going bad? A main board symptom?

I am new...but promise you have read and read and looked and looked before asking...but I am stumped.

Ordway Sign Supply SUCKS for service calls....or I should say lack of returning calls that need service!

After weeks on end and rolls of material wasted we got it working fine and no more drop outs.. You're lucky it wasn't dropping out like mine 90-98% through jobs!

I had a friend help me who is a networking guru and all he did was change the IP of the computer to 10.0.0.1 and then onto the VP540 panel and changed the printer to 10.0.0.2 then on the computer made the subnet mask 255.0.0.0 and the default gateway 192.168.1.1
Since he did this I haven't had a single drop out the only time it will show as offline is if I turn the wi-fi on then I am forced to turn it off then reboot the computer then the printer shows as connected again.

Hope this helps as I know what you are going through it's a nightmare! Good Luck :)

I use Nusign Supply in Industry. Pretty much the only techs I trust. Did you check your IP address after to change to the cross over able? If you are not getting a DHCP address then you are going to default to a 169.x.x.x number. You need to set a static IP on both Machine and the printer that is within range to test that. It shouldn't be too difficult of a problem to fix. My shop is in Montclair, probably about the same miles in the opposite direction, so I don't doubt Nusign would help. I usually request Jorge. He is super helpful.

joeito_joe

Same problem on my both VP540

Just one Question?
Do you have your LAN Cable tied with your AC power Cable?
I have th same problem on two VP540 after seven years of trouble free working. A few months ago I was reorganizing my shop and I tied up both cables to avoid tangle cables with machine wheels every time I move It.
I think that the noise produced by AC Voltage Affect the VP540 ethernet port.

signrios

Im also going trough this, its frustrating!!
i've tried different computers and it still stops printing and printer reads "now processing" never goes beyond that point, versaworks states "not connected"
i've had zero serious issues with the vp-540 up to this point.

tech says it might be the main board at $2180, plus travel fees and $150 per hour great way to start the year

i've ran out of eliminating possible problems. new network card on pc, updated latest versaworks, did a printer factory reset, updated the firmware,
turned off the the heaters.. even placed a heat under the main controls

any other advice???

thanks

joeito_joe

Attention

Im also going trough this, its frustrating!!
i've tried different computers and it still stops printing and printer reads "now processing" never goes beyond that point, versaworks states "not connected"
i've had zero serious issues with the vp-540 up to this point.

tech says it might be the main board at $2180, plus travel fees and $150 per hour great way to start the year

i've ran out of eliminating possible problems. new network card on pc, updated latest versaworks, did a printer factory reset, updated the firmware,
turned off the the heaters.. even placed a heat under the main controls

any other advice???

thanks

Just one Question?
Do you have your LAN Cable tied with your AC power Cable?
I have th same problem on two VP540 after seven years of trouble free working. A few months ago I was reorganizing my shop and I tied up both cables to avoid tangle cables with machine wheels every time I move It.
I think that the noise produced by AC Voltage Affect the VP540 ethernet port.

signrios

thanks joeito_joe. no. they are not together, i even re-routed the cable so it is not close to any electrical power or cords. also bought a new crossover cable.

tech says this issue is caused by the main board 90% of the time.
i think im gonna have to buy a new main board at $2,180 next week and have the tech install it.

big expense, and just after christmas & property tax month lol!!! gotta pay to play

Chris DeVoe

Hi folks, I found this discussion via a Google search and have tried most of the things mentioned with no luck for my client's printer.

I'm not a sign guy, I'm an electronics tech and one of my friends has a Roland VP-540 that is flaking out. I've tried all the things mentioned here with no luck.

Here's the thing - his unit is between 7 and 8 years old. The fixes mentioned - changing IP addresses, needing to heat or cool the unit, greater sensitivity to electrical interference - are all symptoms. The only "solution" so far seems to be replacing the board.

But it's not usually the whole board that fails, but a part on the board called an "electrolytic capacitor". These are small devices, usually cylindrical, made of metal and wrapped in plastic with two wires coming out of them, soldered to the board. They store and release an electrical charge as part of a circuit. They are also used to block external interference.

A replacement motherboard costs $2000+.

A replacement capacitor costs $.05 to $2.00.

They trend to start failing after 5 to 7 years.

The web site BadCaps.net is devoted entirely to the subject of reviving broken electronics by replacing bad capacitors.

So I'm going to head to his site, remove the motherboard and inspect the caps to see if any of them are bad and need replacing. If I fix it, I'll post pictures and instructions here. Hopefully I can save some folks thousands of dollars, because I'm sure most of you folks aren't rolling in dough.

Last edited: