• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just stops printing and states Not Connected in VersaWorks

zigns62

Disconnected

[h=2]I had the same problem, found out windows had downloaded a upgrade and it would change the IP address on my printer. It happen a couple day in a row, what a pain having to reset the IP address on the printer and the computer. Working fine now with no issues. Hope this helps.[/h]

Chris DeVoe

I had the same problem, found out windows had downloaded a upgrade and it would change the IP address on my printer. It happen a couple day in a row, what a pain having to reset the IP address on the printer and the computer. Working fine now with no issues. Hope this helps.

Have you set both the computer and the printer to fixed (static) IP addresses? It's good practice in any case.

TimToad

We've been having the same problem the last two days. I didn't notice this thread and started a new one with the same question. It only happened in the morning and once we've warmed up the shop and printer and then run a few prints, its been fine the rest of the time.

I believe the culprit has been that we're having our first overnight freezing temperatures of the winter and I forgot to leave any heat on the two days the problem occurred. I'm about to run some stuff after leaving the heat on overnight and prewarming the printer to normal temps, so we'll see if it recurs.

Chris DeVoe

Went to the shop and took the machine apart and examined all the caps. None are visibly bad. Put it all back together, and it's still flaking out. Prints about an inch, then Versaworks says "Not Connected".

I'll have to try some additional fixes. For instance, I'll try another computer and a crossover cable with no hub.

DaveDickhoff

Fixed?

Hi Chris,

I have the same problems at my printer, dit the replacement fixed the problems?, and if yes can you please post some picture's from the location of the electrolytic capacitor?

Thnx,

Dave

Hi folks, I found this discussion via a Google search and have tried most of the things mentioned with no luck for my client's printer.

I'm not a sign guy, I'm an electronics tech and one of my friends has a Roland VP-540 that is flaking out. I've tried all the things mentioned here with no luck.

Here's the thing - his unit is between 7 and 8 years old. The fixes mentioned - changing IP addresses, needing to heat or cool the unit, greater sensitivity to electrical interference - are all symptoms. The only "solution" so far seems to be replacing the board.

But it's not usually the whole board that fails, but a part on the board called an "electrolytic capacitor". These are small devices, usually cylindrical, made of metal and wrapped in plastic with two wires coming out of them, soldered to the board. They store and release an electrical charge as part of a circuit. They are also used to block external interference.

A replacement motherboard costs $2000+.

A replacement capacitor costs $.05 to $2.00.

They trend to start failing after 5 to 7 years.

The web site BadCaps.net is devoted entirely to the subject of reviving broken electronics by replacing bad capacitors.

So I'm going to head to his site, remove the motherboard and inspect the caps to see if any of them are bad and need replacing. If I fix it, I'll post pictures and instructions here. Hopefully I can save some folks thousands of dollars, because I'm sure most of you folks aren't rolling in dough.

TheoB

I had the same issue with my VP-540, stopping in the middle of a job, Versaworks telling me "printer not connected". Best of all is that the last printed line was finished in solid print and no fading of ink on the ending edge. According to Versaworks, print job was completed. I also noticed it happening more frequently during winter. I installed a normal 40 Watt light bulb underneath the right-hand side of the printer, serving as heater to warm up the electronic components inside. And- believe me or not - it works!
I can only suspect that this is due to a "dry" solder point or some micro-small contact inside a chip opening a gap when chip is too cold. Pity that Roland does not react on this issue.

No Lemon

Hello everyone, New here and I see I'm not the only one dealing with this same problem. Mine says ready to print instead of printer not connected.

Anyone lead me in the right direction?

Roland VP-540
3.0 firmware
Versaworks 5.51
Windows 7 Ultimate
2.8 gh computer
2 gig memory
169-254-185-200 Ip address
Computers hooked direct to printer with cat 5 cable

Seems sometimes I can get it working but most of the time I the printer shows NOW PROCESSING and Versaworks says ready to print. When this happens I press the pause button and then hold it down to cancel the job.

I can tell almost immediately if its going to print or cut because the printer says NOW PROCESSING and the cutting carriage starts to move when I hit the print button.

I have tried different ip address, rebooting the computer, turning off the printer (both power switches) new cable.

Any help would be grateful.

cmwpmm

Might try changing the cable from your PC to the printer. If the cord has been hanging down or has a bind at either plug end, a wire might have broken. I once found a bad cable where the wire was broken and sometimes made contact if you jiggled it.

Just a thought

Dave

PS When you get it fixed, please let us know how you did it. Could help someone down the road.

Agreed ^^^^^ I've had similar problems and turned out it was a bad cable.

nate

Anyone had to replace NIC in a printer? Ever heard of it going bad? A main board symptom?

Yes. We had two of the XJ-740 machines back in the day, each one a serial number apart from the other. One machine never exhibited the issue of not connected. The other machine did exactly as you say about three months in to our ownership. We did all of the troubleshooting as suggested in this thread and eventually Roland replaced the motherboard. Never had the problem again.

On our old SC-545EX, I believe, the network card was separate from the motherboard. Would have been a quick, easy fix for Roland. However with the XJ the network interface was in the motherboard itself, meaning Roland had to supply a whole new, costly, motherboard.

I've always wondered if a short sighted production cost decrease (ie adding the network interface to the motherboard instead of being a separate card) actually amounted to a support cost increase by doing all in one. It sure seemed to me that Roland dragged their feet a long, long time before finally authorizing the replacement.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Title says it all! VP540 using VersaWorks

Might finish a print...might go an inch then stop might go 2 feet then stop. Printer screen reads Now Processing...but Versaworks goes from printing to Not Connected.

No software or hardware upgrades at all. No new install of any software. No updates to VersaWorks.

VP540 directly connected to computer...via X-Over cable...computer does not go online (no virus protection)...computer does not do any editing or graphics. Just runs VersaWorks for printer. Been this way for nearly 3 years.

Have loaded versaworks on laptop connected x-over cable started to print then it quit. So eliminated other computer. Used original and new x-over cable on laptop and got same results. So eliminated the original x-over cable.

Anyone had to replace NIC in a printer? Ever heard of it going bad? A main board symptom?

I am new...but promise you have read and read and looked and looked before asking...but I am stumped.

Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction!

Any techs in the Pasadena California area???

Ordway Sign Supply SUCKS for service calls....or I should say lack of returning calls that need service!

If your problem still remains and you are thinking it's the board....I sent mine to theses guys rather than buying a new one and it's been running perfectly ever since.
http://stores.ebay.com/Mac-Media-com-Parts-Accessories?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

They do it Fast and Affordable.

No Lemon

Hello everyone, New here and I see I'm not the only one dealing with this same problem. Mine says ready to print instead of printer not connected.

Anyone lead me in the right direction?

Roland VP-540
3.0 firmware
Versaworks 5.51
Windows 7 Ultimate
2.8 gh computer
2 gig memory
169-254-185-200 Ip address
Computers hooked direct to printer with cat 5 cable

Seems sometimes I can get it working but most of the time I the printer shows NOW PROCESSING and Versaworks says ready to print. When this happens I press the pause button and then hold it down to cancel the job.

I can tell almost immediately if its going to print or cut because the printer says NOW PROCESSING and the cutting carriage starts to move when I hit the print button.

I have tried different ip address, rebooting the computer, turning off the printer (both power switches) new cable.

Any help would be grateful.

I am pretty sure I have fixed my problem.

I setup a static IP address and used 010.010.000.100 for the IP address and 255.000.000.000 for my Subnet on my computer and 010.010.000.105 for my IP address and 255.255.000.000 for my printer and have not missed one beat. It was a problem ALMOST every time before. I'm not sure if this will help anyone else but i'm feeling good.

I used this link to help me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXGo4hIZWAY

bigblocktrader

Not the cable...have changed it out...

Not VW(versaworks updated version)...installed on another pc and still same situation...

Now...if i do just a cut lettering job...it doesn't seem to fail/disconnect.

Am truly STUMPED!!

Be glad to post when I get it fixed!!

Robert will give you guys a call in a bit!

Thanks!

On my SP300V had to replace the two print head cables, they were just old, got the same processing

zigns62

Not Connected in VersaWorks

Mine is working again, Had the cable guy come out and replaced the ends of the the cables that run to the cable box. My router is connect to the box. Wait for it. I'm connect to my VP printer directly to my laptop,I use an IP set up on my printer. Every time the cable box had a glitch and lose connection my printer stop and showed "Not Connected in VersaWorks". I tried everything that everyone said to do from the pryor threads, nothing worked. I would have to reboot and change the IP address every time it happen, I was ready to burn the printer, I was wasting to much material. It's been three weeks now since the ends of the cable have been changed, the printer has not stop and giving me the Not "Connected in VersaWorks". I don't know if this was the problem or not, I just know that I can print a big job and not have to worried about the printer stopping 3/4 of the way thru the job. Hope this help, it did for me.

grafixemporium

I have a VP540 doing the same thing... now processing. Can't afford to throw away any more half finished material. Can't afford any down time. So, we pushed it out to the warehouse and stored it plugged in for now. We set up another XR640 in it's place. Same cabling. Same Versa. Same static IP. Printer works fine. No hiccups.

Tech claims this is a common issue on aging VP540's. It's the mainboard.

I have a well maintained, clean 2008 VP540 for sale that prints and cuts great, but likely needs a mainboard if anyone is interested.

jyl

I had same problem and tried everything. I put dish heater behind main board and network card area before i ordered 3k main board. this works for me since Feb this year.

Wwonka

Still has this problem

Have seen so many suggestions about this problem, but has no one tried to seach the components on the mainboard for falty components and changeing this component???

I am having this problem now on a 6 years old print, which i am happy to, if it was not for this problem, anyone out there with some deep knowledge that have tried soldering new components on, and get it up and running???, or am i wrong off??

Riethian

Hi, I had been same problem. I updated firmware to 4.80 and thats enough to fix it. I think they updated the ethernet driver on the mainboard.

Ugur A.