• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ladder or scaffold?

Rooster

Great set-up. I had two of us larger guys working one platform on a hoarding wrap. We were climbing all over that thing like monkeys and it was rock solid.

The guy I had helping me was a ladders and plank guy before. He came away impressed with my little budget scaffold set.

Plus as mentioned it got all our tools and supplies from the loading dock to the work area without having to carry a thing.

G-Artist

I heard horror stories about the Little Giant ladders i dont know but some ppl dont like coz they shake a lot i dont know it just from what i hear.

I have yet to find a more stable or solid ladder. Now my 30'+ aluminum extension laddder shakes like a leaf...or maybe that's just me at those heights.

LG Shake? Never. Not even in 30 MPH winds on uneven ground.

MikePro

hey g-artist can that aluminum board and those two ladders hold two people at once maybe let say around 450 pounds all together.
And also whats the cheapest place to get them

Blains Farm and Fleet, Menard's, and idk if HomeDepot still does but I bet Lowe's also carries an 8' Aluminum board that extends up to 15'... i use it for all my large format installs. <150bux from what i recall, just make sure you get the right Little Giants that allow it to fit. Mine is 28.25" wide and my old Little Giants had a 28.5" step width which was perfect, but we recently saved a few bux by ordering 2 more ladders off the internet and the newer Little Giants only have a 28" width.

Can fit two little giants and the extension piece in the back of my Tahoe, whenever I don't feel like taking the company pickup everywhere I go.

signmeup

I have two of these 7 foot stepladder/extension ladders and a plank. The ladder goes to 11 feet as an extension. I can fit them in my van with a plank and it gives me a nice portable scaffold for a wide range of jobs. Don't know if they have them in the US though. They go for $114 up here(CDN)http://www.homehardware.ca/Products/index/show/product/I5435120/name/ladder_household_3way_7

These don't have a hinge joint....they overlap in the middle. Click the views in the link to see how it works. I really like mine.

I also have two B&D Workmate type stands that are great as a low platform with a plank. Did my last install on a 14 foot box truck over the weekend on them.

The two ladders I have have different trade names on them but they are identicle. One is a GLAM and the other is a BON-L. Apparently BON-L was formerly known as Reynolds. I think I've seen them in Walmart.....not absolutely sure though.

GypsyGraphics

Anyone know anything about this telescoping ladder? After my wheeling and dealing on the scaffolding, i spied this cool compact ladder in the guy's garage. He said it was a $250 ladder and that he was keeping it unless he could get $75 for it. He ended up throwing it in for free. I LIKE FREE!

Anyway, it's compact but pretty heavy. After watching that Little Giant ladder video, i'm just wondering if anyone know if this is a safe ladder. The name on it is Xtend & Climb.

tlscpLdr.jpg

Last edited:

G-Artist

I don't see the point of the video.

They compare an extension ladder where there is DOUBLE the metal at the center point
A big DUH!!!!

Apples and Oranges.

Compare it to an imitator.

LG and its competitors have its functions. You aren't going to get that extension ladder in an 8' PU bed without it hanging out somewhere. It may lie flat with the tailgate down but then nothing else in the bed is safe/secure.

I don't know a roofing contractor estimator in my area who doesn't have an LG type ladder in the back of their PU. Most have those tinker toy PU's with the 6' beds so that's what they need to fit. The do get the estimator safely and securely onto a homeowners roof.

On the job site the roofing crew uses std. extension ladders. That makes sense. There are many job sites where I take my extension ladders. Every ladder has a purpose like any tool. And we should always use the appropriate tool for the job.

tomence

so in other words you are saying that little giant is supposed be used only as A frame ladder but not as an extension. OK i got your point. So would you say it is safe enough to use it as a A ladder. But reading other post i think scaffolding is the way to go

signmeup

Anyone know anything about the telescoping ladder? After my wheeling and dealing on the scaffolding, i spied this cool compact ladder in the guy's garage. He said it was a $250 ladder and they he was keeping it unless he could get $75 for it. He ended up throwing it in for free. I LIKE FREE!

Anyway, it's compact but pretty heavy. After watching that Little Giant ladder video, i'm just wondering if anyone know if this is a safe ladder. The name on it is Xtend & Climb.

View attachment 49285
I saw one on youtube telescope back while in use. It was on a shopping channel show. Maybe search epic fail.

TheSellOut

Anyone know anything about the telescoping ladder? After my wheeling and dealing on the scaffolding, i spied this cool compact ladder in the guy's garage. He said it was a $250 ladder and they he was keeping it unless he could get $75 for it. He ended up throwing it in for free. I LIKE FREE!

View attachment 49285

I don't know anything about those "Xtend & Climbs but I have seen them and want one. I would search for reviews, but what a handy ladder to keep in your car or truck!

BTW that aluminum scaffold set is awesome, I am jealous! Good buy!!

iSign

of course we eventually need everything... so it's not really "scaffold or ladder" and even these mini scaffolds are only the right tool for the job sometimes... I thought of using ladder jacks & a plank with my twin fiberglass extension ladders for this gemini brass letter job last week, but i decided not to be lazy & just set up my real scaffold... it was nice to have a comfortable & large working area for hammer drilling 100 holes carefully & acurately through a pattern, in ridiculously high winds & having a box full of heavy brass, silicone, studs & boltcutters to shorten studs if we hit rebar in a hole...

5x5scaffold.jpg

thesignguy1986

I was doing 12 semi trucks with 4'x8 full color prints and I rented scaffolding for a few days. It was a real pain in the butt though. When they came back and ordered 48 more making it a total of 60 semi trucks 2 sided I broke down and payed the $200 a piece for a couple of scaffolds and it was well worth it. Now I use them on so many more jobs. Don't use a ladder you will end up falling off and getting hurt or something. Make the investment and you will not regret it

I choose both, Ladder and Scaffolds. I bought three sets of these scaffolds, each set has three stacks so I can stand on 18'. I've used these for exterior channel letters as well as lamp change out for interiors like PETCO jobs I had a while back on retrofitting T12 to T8 lamps. These also come with outriggers so you can get better stability.

Best part, they are small, light, don't take up much space, and assemble easily. One person could stack a set three up if they needed to.

You can even spread out the scaffold and use a 16' or 24' plank to bridge two sets together giving you a longer area to work with.

Attachments

• IMG_4451.jpg
    IMG_4451.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0529.jpg
    IMG_0529.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 99

InnovativeKS

I carry two sets of the yellow $200 scaffolding at all times in my truck. Had it since day 1 at my shop. They fit perfectly in the bed of a full size Chevy.

Attachments

• IMG00226.jpg
    IMG00226.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG00227.jpg
    IMG00227.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 99

Rooster

This seems kind of timely for a thread like this. It's been running quite a bit in my local area and every time it airs I've thought of this thread.

Video Link