• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ladder or scaffold?

Mosh

We have 2 little Giants and love them. They are heavy to carry though as compaired to a normal ladder. The go up to 10' as a step ladder and 20' extention ladder.

tomence

JR's link for safeplarforms.com is lookign very good. Guys check this site out i mean it looks nice i dont know if its gonna perform as advertised.

American & Proud

I'm thinkin your gonna be able to buy several of the scaffolds like I mentioned over buying one of those units or that other one you posted too.

Sites that won't show pricing are hiding it for a reason, they want your info or you to call them giving your info before telling you the prices and sending you into cardiac arrest. Sticker SHOCK! LOL

Get the 200.00 or less unit and Harbor Freight will copy the others and get the price way down sooner or later. lol

tomence

i found some prices for the x-deck at safeplatforms man they are expensive for the one that i need is more than 700 dollars crazy a$$ ppl

Artgunner

I use ladder jacks and a 24' posting stage for certain jobs. The posting stage is so light that you can hold it with one hand. Had the special rigging built out in the Mid West many years ago for billboard work. I have the 14' drops for the posting stage also. Still use my swing stages at times for special jobs. And... yes, I had a rope bust 45' off ground. Good thing there was a walk board under me or I would have fell another 35 feet. That was a bad day. Hemp rope sucks! Pullies cut it. The good ole' days.

Art

American & Proud

Hey,
What did you ever end up buying?

In early June I found a guy on CL selling 2 of the "bakers roll around scaffolds" Like I posted a link to here.

Then I ordered the guard rails and 18" Outriggers new.

I got less than $350.00 invested in the whole set up.

I can Safely go up 12' 6" High with the outriggers and the guard rail kit.

Or I can use them seperated for two 6' high units.

Can set either setup lower as well.

Stacked tho you NEED to use the outriggers they warn.

They are very nice to have, using them rite now as a matter of fact to vinyl side my garage. lol

I've been MIA here but was curious what you ended up getting?

fmg

Two Type 1A 22' little giants and 9 ft platform works wonders! Best Ladder on the market in my opinion.

round man

Haven't really read thru this thread yet but in response to the original question,..always have been taught and utilized scaffolds over the use of ladders,...I found out a long long time ago you can get much more work done alot faster when you can walk the span of a walkboard instead of doing all the work you can reach from the singular workspace a ladder provides,..999 times out of a thousand its not that much more time to move a good scaffold than, it is to move a ladder,..the amount of work you can do off a scaffold is relative to the length of the walkboard whereas the amount you can do off a ladder is restricted to arms length in either direction IF you are ambidextrous.999 times out of a thousand you'll spend twice as much time moving and running up a ladder as you would doing it off a scaffold.,..the only thing better than a scaffold is a motorized lift ( I call them push button scaffolds)

edited to add I personally use a bergendorf paper hanging stage whenever possible,either with the hangers and or ladder jacks,....usually on jobs less than 12 feet I use the stage part with two step ladders,..the walkboard weighs 44 pounds and has a twenty foot long working area,...the whole unit (designed to use on billboards) with both hangers and saftey rail only weighs 88 lbs. it was the best $1000 I ever spent(1985 price) still use it on a regular basis after 25 years in fact I used it this past week,...

shakey0818

i got a 8ft-13ft werner extendable alum plank and it says holds 250lbs but iv hat 400lbs on there fully extended no problem.its $200

tomence

I ended up with a brand new 6ft high scaffold from home depot and can say is worth every penny that i spent on it. At first i got one from Harbor Freight for like $200 but didnt feel safe standing up on that one and returned it the same day, it wasn't built as strong as the one i got from home depot which was around $500 but it paid for itself the first job that i did.

Hey,
What did you ever end up buying?

In early June I found a guy on CL selling 2 of the "bakers roll around scaffolds" Like I posted a link to here.

Then I ordered the guard rails and 18" Outriggers new.

I got less than $350.00 invested in the whole set up.

I can Safely go up 12' 6" High with the outriggers and the guard rail kit.

Or I can use them seperated for two 6' high units.

Can set either setup lower as well.

Stacked tho you NEED to use the outriggers they warn.

They are very nice to have, using them rite now as a matter of fact to vinyl side my garage. lol

I've been MIA here but was curious what you ended up getting?

johnnysigns

I've used scaffolding and walkboards for tractor trailers, but I've always found the walkboards to be the best fit for me and moving the fastest through the work.
* the only thing I'd use a rolling scaffold for would be for the rear.

Last edited:

American & Proud

I ended up with a brand new 6ft high scaffold from home depot and can say is worth every penny that i spent on it. At first i got one from Harbor Freight for like $200 but didnt feel safe standing up on that one and returned it the same day, it wasn't built as strong as the one i got from home depot which was around $500 but it paid for itself the first job that i did.

Ahh ok, I was just curious what you ended up getting.

Our Home Depot don't have any on display, our Menards has several kinds on display to choose from.

Mine originally came from Berlands House of Tools. (Contractor had one small drywall taping job he needed them for then put them up for sale) I cleaned off some drywall mud and they look like new.

I ordered the safety rails and outriggers from Do It Best Hardware online and had them shipped to a local store for pick up, shipping is Free that way with them.

visual800

When I bought mine a few years back i went with this
http://cgi.ebay.com/Steel-Scaffoldi...278?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item334f9e76de

I dont care for that cheap crap at lowes it spooks me being on it. Had a little Giant collapse on me in the middle bout 10 years ago OR a ladder like it , so I will not get one of those

I have 3 sections of the scaffolding with 2 walkboards and 4 casters. This thing is sturdy and one of the best investments I have made. They pay for themselves on down the rd cause renting them is so cheap. Its just nice to have them for your self

doing a semi would only take you one stage with 8" casters. search for a good deal on them. I bought mine at the time for $115 per setup, 2 scaffold ends with cross members free delivery!, so i got 3 of them and bought 4 casters and 2 walkboards

Wes Phifer

I have never heard of a little giant hinge failing. I used one for 9 or 10 years and sold the company they are still using it today. I bought a knock off about three years ago and it is doing well. I bought the scaffold for doing big trailers where a little more room will help me. It will take a little longer to set up but I think it will save me time in the end.