• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

LAMINATOR price

james2

I am looking at a Seal laminator with a heat assist function demo model. Retail it goes for $8,600. I can get it for $8,000. I was just wondering if this was a good deal on this laminator.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

THX!

james2

it is the 54 Base. The thing I like about it is the heat assist on the main roller. I seems to help make the laminating process go a bit smoother.

juan45215

I just orded a brand new Base 54 for much less than $8000. Call Gina Springs at Grimco and see what she can do for you.

Derf

Do you "need" a hot lam? I have a seal Ultra 44" hot lam and I end up not using the heat ever.

I also just got a 60" cold lam for under 3k. Works great with very few parts.

ChiknNutz

Doesn't seem like a very good price to me. I have a 60" cold laminator and it was only $2000 or $2500. It's pretty basic, but so far so good! I've never had the need for heat that I'm aware of. If I were you and had the space, I'd buy two or three of these cheaper ones. I'd have two of them loaded with different laminates (i.e. Oracal 210 intermediate for most stuff and 3M 8519 for wraps and long term) and I'd use one strictly for mounting. Sheesh, for what I paid for mine, you could buy 4 of these cheap ones for what you're currently looking at!

Derf

Doesn't seem like a very good price to me. I have a 60" cold laminator and it was only $2000 or $2500. It's pretty basic, but so far so good! I've never had the need for heat that I'm aware of. If I were you and had the space, I'd buy two or three of these cheaper ones. I'd have two of them loaded with different laminates (i.e. Oracal 210 intermediate for most stuff and 3M 8519 for wraps and long term) and I'd use one strictly for mounting. Sheesh, for what I paid for mine, you could buy 4 of these cheap ones for what you're currently looking at!

Did you get your 60" from John at PCP? Mine was 2500 + Shipping

Gino

Premium Subscriber
While down at the Atlantic City sign show, everybody was telling me how important it is to have a heat assisted cold laminator. After showing my ignorance of the fact of… why have a cold laminator if you need a heated roller assistant … they said this added feature stops ‘Silvering’ [??] when applying laminate to the vinyl. Duh, I never heard of that. I thought that is what you put on the back of mirrors when they went bad. :help:

After I questioned almost every rep at the show demonstrating laminators… a friend of mine that sells them told me, it’s not really needed at all. The ‘Silvering’ is a term for small bubbles that get in between the lam and the vinyl when starting it. 90% of it goes away while you put the vinyl on the vehicles. The rest of it goes away in a day or two. Who really cares if you see some minute bubbles that are going to go away eventually ??

Sounds like the same thing we tell customers if there are a few bubbles in the application. Ah, yeah Mrs. Jones, the sun will take care of those bubbles… and sure enough they go away.

I’m looking at a ‘Royal Sovereign’. It also has a heat-assisted roller, but I might get the one without it. I just want to be able to put 4’ x 8’s through it without a hitch. We just did 12pcs. 4’ x 8’ x ¾” 2-sided this week. It took about 1 minute to line the vinyl up and about 3 or 4 minutes to actually put the vinyl on the board. Another 2 or 3 minutes to move that board out and set up the next. We had all of the panels finished in about 5 hours total because of interruptions. Delivered them this morning and got the check already. :unclesam:

txsurfer

I am looking for a 60" cold laminator, I currently have a 38" GBC Falcon and we never use the heat, who makes a $2500 60"?

ChiknNutz

Did you get your 60" from John at PCP? Mine was 2500 + Shipping

Yes, I think they gave me mine for $2000 because I was first on the list and it took them way longer to get me mine than originally anticipated. I also did not pay for shipping as they brought it to me along with other people's deliveries in the area. I have since modified mine some with some different brackets. I didn't like how the laminate and carrier paper was positioned, so I designed up some "L" shaped ones and had a machine-shop make them for me. The new ones also hold a rod for the laminate backing paper. It is still a manual process of rolling it up as I go, but at least now it is better than it was. Since it is a better design, they considered having me make up some for them to sell, but the cost to produce was really too high for them to make a profit.

FYI, the brand is DingTec...Chinese as you might expect. They have a heated model with take-up rollers, I think it was $5000 or $6000 for that model.

Derf

When I've got my Seal's heat on I still get Silvering, just not as much.

I hand laminated a small print and it had a mess of Silvering but the Silvering went away in one hour in the hot sun.

The laminator I have I believe to be the same as the ones SW is selling for 5k just relabeled as an EnduroLam.

I can lam up to I think 1" or 1-1/2" .. I have never needed to go over 1/2" yet.

Derf

GraphiXtreme.. Yeah! Mine has all the take up rolls.. Can you take a pic of what you designed? Maybe I can jimmy one up for mine.

ChiknNutz

DAMN! Mine didn't come like that! I'm gonna call 'em to see if mine can be retrofitted with that.

Just called John, looks like they have a update kit for like $180! Thanks for posting as I would have never known that this was available! Cool deal.

james2

so,
the whole "silvering" thing will just go away eventually? I think a cold Lam might be the best way to go. Need a 54" one. I am in Cleveland if anyone knows who sells a good machine.
I have also heard it's good to get one with a foot control.

thanks for everyone's help.

ChiknNutz

Derf-

So, if yours HAS that stuff already (the laminate tensioner and such), how do you like it so far? Mine works pretty well now, but I also had to make up a half-baked means of applying some tension to the laminate roll. What I'm currently using is some spring clamps from Home Depot, happen to be the right size to go around the roll holder tube. I then put in a bolt thru the bracket that the clamp can bear against as the friction from the clamp against the bolt applies some tension to the roll. It works, but kinda cheesy. I'll post some pix later of what I've got cobbled up here.

Derf

GraphiXtreme ... you will need to post a pick or email me a pick because I have no clue how that would work?

So far so good. I just wrench down on the screws on each end at the top! Seems to work good so far.