• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Large signs

tominjax

I am new in the sign business and have a question.

I have a 6' X 12' sign to do and was wondering if I can ask how most would rienforce this size sign if made of HDU. The sign is one sided, and will hang on building.

If you need more information I am happy to post...

Thank you everyone

Tom :thankyou:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
A good question to you would be.....

How did you bid the job if you don't know what to do ??

Please post what you would've done or are anticipating on doing and we'll see if we can help. Otherwise, I'm sure our ideas will be way over budget for you.

tominjax

I bid the job based on my knowledge of woodworking / construction , and experience (which I will not post here at present) My sign budget will allow many options....

I am simply trying to get suggestions on the best methods.... I have ideas but want to cut through the chase and get some real world experience based suggestions, comments, and advice....

Thank you

signage

Another welcome to the forums from PA....

My suggestion would be to post what you were thinking and you will most likey get a better response!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Everyone wants to cut to the chase and take the easy route, but it would benefit you... and many others on this forum if you told us your current plans and how and what you intended to do. If you want to keep all of your ideas to yourself... what interest should we have in helping you if you don't want to help us ?? You provide no incentive for the rest of us.

When you were in school and you didn't know how to do long division, did your teacher do your homework for you or give you the tools to figure it out for yourself and then correct your papers. Most people have an inkling of what to do and go from there. When things go wrong we'll all chip in and help, but me personally... I don't feel like helping a person too lazy to write a few things down first.

Wanna try again ??

Marlene

how many panels will you have? what kind of building? wood? corrugated metal? brick? info like that is needed to know how to help you. since it's being mounted directly to a building wall, not sure why you would need to reinforce it as the building becomes the backing.

My suggestion would be to post what you were thinking and you will most likey get a better response!

what is your plan? it may be just fine

SignManiac

I know how I would do it but I don't have the energy to type out a reply. It's a little challenging from a creative solving point of view but easy to do.

Patrick46

I am new in the sign business and have a question.

I have a 6' X 12' sign to do and was wondering if I can ask how most would rienforce this size sign if made of HDU. The sign is one sided, and will hang on building.

Tom

Me???...this entire post kinda scares me.

sounds like someone who's going into a business, that knows little or nothing about the business they're going into. (hey, you certaintly haven't given us any indicators that you do otherwise).

It's kinda like the customer tht calls my shop and asks how much a sign will cost. (I then go into a whole 'customer interview' to find out what their wants and needs are...like I'm sure most all of you do)
"Well...whadda ya want??? How big? What's it need to say on it? Got a logo needed? Any pictorials? Long term useage, or temporary? Who's gonna install it? Are you looking for just a 'quickie', or will I have the chance to sink my teeth into something truely artistic?...(and my favorite) What kind of budget did you have in mind???"
All these questions come into play on EVERY job we produce.

When it comes to a large sign (mounted on a wall)...why are you using HDU??? Is it gonna be 3 dimensional???

Sorry to sound like a prick (even though you'd be right ;)...but you haven't given us any information on what you're planning on doing...and WHY???

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay, I believe tomin gets the picture.

There's no sense or need in beating up on a newbie. He has to get used to the place, but I hope he understands the ideas we've been giving him.

Perhaps as he gets used to the surroundings he will come to a better understanding of how one can learn and improve his/her abilities and knowledge with fellow sign people.

signgal

Well, I for one... being in the business am happy to see that you guys value your opinions and information and respect the business enough to ask people to qualify themselves. I don't like the idea of my customers hopping on here for a quick bit of advice on how to hang up a sign themselves, so they can avoid the cost of me doing it right and jumping through the appropriate hoops!

i just love it...

i'm new to the business and don't know how to do what i need to do....so tell me how to do it. lol...oh but i have a lot of experience that i won't get into. (rolling eyes)

give me a break.

the next time we get into a 'discussion' around this forum about subscriptions, etc. i think that anyone new to the industry should have to pay a premium(and it would be worth it) for the support of this forum.

personally i find it insulting that people enter this trade with no experience and then expect us to solve their problems, from pricing, construction, business practices, etc etc the list is endless...and they don't have the courtesy, time, whatever to include all of the information needed to answer their questions completely, they don't have the time or energy to post their own designs (but want others to give them ideas..or just do the work for them lol..etc etc.

unreal

Marlene

and they don't have the courtesy, time, whatever to include all of the information needed to answer their questions completely, they don't have the time or energy to post their own designs (but want others to give them ideas..or just do the work for them lol..etc etc.

that has got to be the most frustrating part of it.

asking a question like this, I would have liked to have seen details
example:

"6' x 12' x 1.5" thick HDU in two pieces, lap jointed. I am hanging this on an exterior wall of a brick building. I am thinking of pre-mounting aluminum angle on the brick and on the back ot the HDU. what do you think of this idea??? is there a better way???"

in the asking, I have given the size, how many panels, how those panels fit together, the fact that it's an exterior wall and what the wall is made of. I stated my plan and and asked what others thought. to me, this is how to ask as it's clear that I have put some thougth into this on my own and am checking with my peeps to see if there are other ideas.

newbies, give it a try and I think you'll find we won't have the urge to ignore or flame you.

tominjax

Hello again...

Ok, let me qualify this post some more since it seems I have been looked upon as an outcast, wanna be, or plain idiot...

I have been in business for myself quite a few years, and due to the economy had to sell my old business. Wood working is my strong point and what I did for sometime so I have been doing predominantly custom woodwork (custom furniture / retail displays / gaming tables)- and made some small signs from wood from simple single cut / stroke engravings to dimentional stuff...at first for friends (spelled freebies) then got some small signs (under 25 Sq Ft) but still all done as a side line to what I 'really' do... now then all the while I have this CNC machine sitting around not making me any money so I decided to put it to work.... and have landed some quite large jobs all of a sudden from a network of friends...so call me lucky or call me blessed, but please dont call me an idiot. =)

Now fellas.... I got on here to ask for suggestions - I didnt mean to upset the entire US sign community =)

I am making it from 1.5" HDU and will join 3 sheets to get the 6 X 12 size I need. I am cutting a tongue and groove to join the panels. I had considered vac bagging a sheet of marine plywood to back to add stiffness and protection for the foam... but this is where i wanted to hear suggestions. as i do not want to over or under kill it....
The building s a stucco finished building build with CMU

:biggrin:

signmeup

I'll bet most of the sign people on here have no idea what Vac bagging is. (they're all Googling it now) I'm facing a similar project and I plan on laminating the HDU with Alupanel for a backer. I'm going to use urethane glue and heavy weights for the job though. I don't have a lot experience with vac bagging on a large scale....mostly small stuff like wing skins for R/C planes.

How about some details on how you vac bag a panel that size?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What weight HDU are you using. If your going with 22lb. substrate you could literally glue and screw an aluminum angle frame to the back and hang it like a backlit can. You could also build a French Cleat set up, which I'm sure you're more than capable of building your own and use one top and bottom. I would use metal for the backing so you have no chance of warping. Even when we attach to posts, we build a frame if it's one-sided. Double-sided, the structure just becomes hidden in between the two sides.

Marlene

What weight HDU are you using. If your going with 22lb. substrate you could literally glue and screw an aluminum angle frame to the back and hang it like a backlit can

that's what I have done. aluminum angle on the back. another on the wall.

I'll bet most of the sign people on here have no idea what Vac bagging is.

kind of sounded dirty to me:thumb: