• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Large signs

tominjax

I had planned on using 15 LB per cf density but will use heavier if that is what others may suggest....

Aluminum frame sounds like a better idea....

tominjax

Dan,

I am sorry that you find my RFI (request for information) unreal on a public forum and do however understand your concern but not the fact you seem to be upset about it.
When I entered the wood working business I did so blind, as well as my other business....my point is we all start some where and I could see your being upset if I was parked a block away - walked in your shoip and asked you how to make a sign after under bidding you without your knowing...but this is not the case. I am obviously new at the sign industry, and want to dive in based on my experiance with woodworking, graphics, and CNC experiance...in other words I have the skills required by a long shot...just no practical hands on sign making experiance to brag about is all....so I am starting up here in my town trying to make money to survive as we all are in some tough times... I was in the marine business for a long time (fiberglass and wood) and decided to do this because I had the equipment, software, skills needed....and only asking for some fellow craftsman to share some experiance and knowledge, if someone does not want to they do not have to.

I did not at all mean to offend you, and will say I am sorry if I did so somehow but as stated above Im not some guy that had some money and went out and bought a CNC machine and decided to try to make something - I probobly have more fabricating experiance than you can imagine but simply didnt know what was 'standard' nor the best way to go about things....

God bless

:biggrin:

Billct2

...so look at from the point of view of someone who has been in any business for a long time, which said businesses is hurting nationwide because of many issues, not the least of which is new competitors with little knowledge of the industry.
so if someone where to ask you..."I have a custom teak swim platform to build, how do I attach it to the back of the boat?"
Would you be willing to share you hard won experience?
Or would you want maybe want the person to qualify themselves for you assistance?

I'd use 15lb and an aluminum angle frame. And you never mentioned why you're using HDU, is it a carved dimensional sign?

we see it every day. new people come here asking us to share our knowledge that has been gained in many cases through multiple decades in the trade yet they lack common courtesy...i am much more willing to share my experience with those that introduce themselves and exhibit common courtesy..it gets old.

now you say you have the skills required by a 'long shot' then why are you asking the question that you are? food for thought.

the way that i would most likely tackle this project would be to build a structural frame. if you were to use the search tool you would find we have discussed this and many ways of approaching this issue. however, i understand that the search function can be frustrating but at least it shows us that you at least attempted to locate the information on your own.

there are quite a few things i would do in the design portion of a sign of this size since it is going to be multiple panels to disguise it and make it look as if it is one piece...but again i/we don't have all the information..which is normal we start giving solutions and suggestions and then the OP starts giving out the specific details.

Marlene

and only asking for some fellow craftsman to share some experiance and knowledge, if someone does not want to they do not have to.

we run into this all the time here on the site and I totally get where Dan is coming from. the problem is people come on that we don't know. they don't bother to tell us about themselves and when they they ask a question, we are doing our best to share knowledge but it seems like we have to pull teeth to get the basic info out of someone. is just gets frustrating.

when you or anyone for that matter, wants to talk about a project, include some details. don't make us beg for simple little facts. also include what your plan is, what your idea for the design is and so on as that is when we all can have a good discussion about a project. there are a good number of people on the site with a world of experience and who are willing to share and talk about installs, designs, materials, software and everything there is to talk about when it comes to signs. this isn't a slam against you personally even if it feels like it is. I do a ton of these kinds of signs and to be honest, I have my methods and am interested in the thread not only to give you some ideas but to kind of check in with our peeps to see how they do it. I've been in the biz for over 23 years and learn something new here everyday. I love these kinds of threads as once the posts start coming in, it is interesting to hear new methods ideas. what ticks me off is the thread getting bogged down with having to pull teeth to figure details.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's great tomin, that you're trying to clarify yourself, but in just a few posts, you’ve managed to say some things that are just not true and hurtful when you look closely at what YOU are saying vs. what YOU are doing.

Sure, you might not be hurting Dan or anyone else on this forum, but you are hurting some sign guy that has been doing this for years in YOUR neighborhood and you think he doesn’t count because he/she aren’t here to fend for themselves.

This idiotic attitude of ‘starting somewhere’ soon has to stop. I’m tired of listening to that same bologna and telling people to get a job in a real sign shop and learn the ropes.

You or anyone else that says this crap…… is gonna start getting a memo about learning your new found trade the right way.

• Go to school like the professionals here did.
  • Learn the basics either as an apprentice or journeyman and then find a job in this trade.
  • If you want to take food off the table of capable tradesman, be prepared for war.
  • Last…. SPS…. Self Praise Stinks.
My Mom taught me that one when I was just a youngster and it stuck ever since. You are only as good in your own eyes as you think because you’re probably wearing blinders. What the rest of the world sees is something totally different. In your words…. ‘having the skills by a long shot’ is not quite on the money. You have the equipment and you have some raw talent, but you don’t have any skills as a sign person.

You have another post with some design on it that is just passable quality and when doing 3D work it hardly does anything for the eye. It might show off some talent for working a CNC machine, but leave the sign making capabilities at home. They can’t come out yet. They’re not old enough.

Standards and proper ways to do things is one small part of the equation here.

• Have you obtained permits for this sign.
  • Will a sign of those proportions pass codes ??
  • Do you have the means to install this sign ??
  • Do you have the proper insurance in your shop and out on the street to fabricate and install this sign ??
  • Do you have proper licensing ??

You have a long way to go and coming up with defensive counter arguments why you should or deserve to be here are just stories in your head.

Try to fit into the place and become one of the crowd and get to know people before you start spouting off your rights and knowledge and what you expect from us. Telling someone like Dan off… especially about this particular project is like smacking the judge in the face that is going to listen to your case in court. He probably has more information on CNC anything…. than half the people on this site. He’s a tip top professional and CNC’s is his thing. Cut us a break and help us to be able to help you or you won't have many friends at the end of the day.

tominjax

Dan and Marlene,

yes I see where you guys are coming from... and wiill again say I am sorry if I seem to have dove in blind which I have depending how you look at it. When I say I have experience- I will re word I hjave much experiance in fabrication with wood, HDU, plastics, fiberglass, including mold making / tooling, plug development, as well as design, CAD, Gcode,CAM...etc....... What I do not know is the the most cost effective ways to do what I am asking...sure I can make it where a truck wont break it using it as a ramp...but prob going to spend a few wasted dollars not to mention hours.... so I found this forrum and asked.... thats it.

I thank everyone here for the suggestions so far, and will say I hope I can be a contributing member to this place and WILL go ahead and 'buy' a premium membership here...

ok..... now back to MY big problem =)

BTW - Dan- I was not (as Gino said) trying to tell you or ANYONE 'off'.... Maybe I should have started my posting on this website entirely differant...but I just dove in and asked....sorry- please do not be offended.

MARSERdesigns

Haters....Once you ask for help, people on this forum are all about bashing you! Just remember...They all started somewhere. IMO (In My Opinion)

tominjax

Gino,

I obviously have really upset this community here and say I am sorry. I will say that I am not here to cause an online battle, or boast about my capabilities or merits... I'm not trying to decieve anyone - nothing, I simply asked a question and getting blasted for it. Anyone on this forum that has started a busines shares a piece of the pie with other business owners - the more pieces the smaller - I know all to well... like I already said- I didnt try toi start a sign company- it just sorta found me so Im doing my best.

MARSERdesigns

Gino,

I obviously have really upset this community here and say I am sorry. I will say that I am not here to cause an online battle, or boast about my capabilities or merits... I'm not trying to decieve anyone - nothing, I simply asked a question and getting blasted for it. Anyone on this forum that has started a busines shares a piece of the pie with other business owners - the more pieces the smaller - I know all to well... like I already said- I didnt try toi start a sign company- it just sorta found me so Im doing my best.

x's 2:goodpost:

GB2

Old Member
A metal frame of steel or aluminum would be the best place to start. The specifics of the construction will depend on the details of your installation.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
tomin……

I see you are trying and I even complimented you for it. That’s only my observation and it’s not worth anything, but there are those times when any of us here see the same thing taking place and the OP seems to ignore everything. Perhaps you are truly trying, but skirting around not taking business away from Dan or someone else here is just a poor excuse. So many of your posts and thoughts hit the negative side of why it’s hard to help newbies. Again, it’s not nice to profile or stereotype, but I’m not a government worker, so I really don’t care.

Don’t worry about battles or rudeness….. most of us don’t need near this much ammunition to have fights here…. it goes on all the time, but it takes the fun out of fighting when someone doesn’t understand when they’re being yelled at…… :Oops:

Anyway, it’s the gnats like GN that get into something they don’t understand and just try to stir the pot. He doesn’t really care if you receive help or not…. he just knows from experience, when it gets dull around here… he just adds a little fuel and you’ll try even harder. He’s like the people at a race…. he’s just waiting for someone to crash.

You’ve just managed to hit on so many levels all the ‘Why Not’s and with some searching and reading… you could figure most of this out without repeating so many things. All we ask is for you to help us… help you. That’s all. That in its own says [at least to me] that you’re trying….. and not a lazy newbie.

Hey GN.... get bent........:ROFLMAO:​

MARSERdesigns

normal_Internet-SeriousBusiness.jpg

Larry L

I am new in the sign business and have a question.

I have a 6' X 12' sign to do and was wondering if I can ask how most would reinforce this size sign if made of HDU. The sign is one sided, and will hang on building.

If you need more information I am happy to post...

Thank you everyone

Tom :thankyou:
I used 3/4 mdo doweled with 3/8" dowels and a jig. Use bar clamps and glue. Then position 1 1/2" HDU to the sheets and glue. Strapped 2 x 4s, a few across the seams on the back side. Make your final contour, route edge, them paint. I used PL 400 glue. it's similar to liquid nails. (my first HDU sign BTW)

Here's a not so great photo, had to scan actual photo, winter shot also did not help. (10' long)

Attachments

• duch.jpg
    duch.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Larry L

Me???...this entire post kinda scares me.

sounds like someone who's going into a business, that knows little or nothing about the business they're going into. (hey, you certaintly haven't given us any indicators that you do otherwise).

It's kinda like the customer tht calls my shop and asks how much a sign will cost. (I then go into a whole 'customer interview' to find out what their wants and needs are...like I'm sure most all of you do)
"Well...whadda ya want??? How big? What's it need to say on it? Got a logo needed? Any pictorials? Long term useage, or temporary? Who's gonna install it? Are you looking for just a 'quickie', or will I have the chance to sink my teeth into something truely artistic?...(and my favorite) What kind of budget did you have in mind???"
All these questions come into play on EVERY job we produce.

When it comes to a large sign (mounted on a wall)...why are you using HDU??? Is it gonna be 3 dimensional???

Sorry to sound like a prick (even though you'd be right ;)...but you haven't given us any information on what you're planning on doing...and WHY???

Are you guys being a bit hard on this guy?

Here is my first dimensional sign I did. 2) 4 x 6 x 2" ceders panels. The customer wanted a a circle creek with a cabin that matched the color of his an some deer & trees. I said sure we can do it. I ask a sign guy about what to use... 1400 lbs of sand blasted over a hand cut mask, custom mixed one shot, ..done. If you know basics is woodworking, and can draw, you can do it and it is not that hard.

Attachments

• DSC_11252006-07-09.jpg
    DSC_11252006-07-09.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 84