• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

LED Display Signs

dlcled

seems that I am here like an alien or an criminal in the trial. But, I am a honest business man and I do what is right. And I search customer that can cooperate with us. Not only mutual-benefit but also "mutual-respect".

signage

dlcled in order to install legal electrical signs in the USA they have to be UL approved. You can not just get a preassembled sign UL approved, they need to inspect the assembly process and all used parts.

dlcled

I see. I guess those customers who bought from us re-fabricated our signs in their plant to make it comply with UL standard before they sell. And they passed the customs there in USA. or, it doesn't make sense if they bought a sign without UL approval and passed the customs. Other possibility is that they declaim to your customs that the sign they bought was not assembled.

dlcled in order to install legal electrical signs in the USA they have to be UL approved. You can not just get a preassembled sign UL approved, they need to inspect the assembly process and all used parts.

dlcled

And thanks Gino to start this discussion, it makes me learn a lot. I will try to suggest to our manage department about the UL issue to see if they can vote to apply UL. Guess this will help us to sell more signs in US market.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
dlcled,
the UL listing might not be a roadblock, you'll just need to look into what is required and see if you can meet the requirements to sell your LEDs in the markets you are interested in.

"A UL product certification is a valuable marketing tool. It signifies that your product or company has successfully met stringent standards for product safety.
The decision to use the UL Mark on your product is a powerful one that differentiates your product and your company from those that can't pass the UL test. Learn how you can use the UL Mark in your advertising and promotion. "

From this page:
http://www.ul.com/global/eng/pages/...ification/safety/northamericasafety/index.jsp

wayne k
guam usa

Mosh

Pretty much wut gino says I go the other way...but I , f@#@#% nevermind I aint' got timexsf

dlcled

Thanks very much wayne for your informative link. will read it and check out if our signs meet the requirements. Very appreciated!

dlcled,
the UL listing might not be a roadblock, you'll just need to look into what is required and see if you can meet the requirements to sell your LEDs in the markets you are interested in.

"A UL product certification is a valuable marketing tool. It signifies that your product or company has successfully met stringent standards for product safety.
The decision to use the UL Mark on your product is a powerful one that differentiates your product and your company from those that can't pass the UL test. Learn how you can use the UL Mark in your advertising and promotion. "

From this page:
http://www.ul.com/global/eng/pages/...ification/safety/northamericasafety/index.jsp

wayne k
guam usa

signage

I see. I guess those customers who bought from us re-fabricated our signs in their plant to make it comply with UL standard before they sell. And they passed the customs there in USA. or, it doesn't make sense if they bought a sign without UL approval and passed the customs. Other possibility is that they declaim to your customs that the sign they bought was not assembled.

No I don't think so, they most likely do not get permits and just do thing illegal!

ddarlak

Go Bills!
seems that I am here like an alien or an criminal in the trial.

just stating a fact, that the USA needs to start building again and not buying everything from china. china is in fact waging a economic war against the USA. the only way for us to remain a strong nation is to start building again and quit buying stuff from china because it is cheaply made....

signage

just stating a fact, that the USA needs to start building again and not buying everything from china. china is in fact waging a economic war against the USA. the only way for us to remain a strong nation is to start building again and quit buying stuff from china because it is cheaply made....

:thumb::goodpost::thumb:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
dlc......

No disrespect, but if you're only learning this stuff now, after you've set up your operations, it hardly appears as though you've done your homework to sell abroad. This information is for most of the world, especially the western hemisphere and most of Europe.

I can't believe that in China you can't find this information out on your own, but instead have to hear it from a forum where you're trying to sell your wares. Unfortunately for you, you are trying to pedal illegal wares in our country and if you found some shops which did it.... at some point, you had to be aware it was against the law. I always thought the shipper had to take care of customs, but it sounds like you and your partners have found a loophole somewhere.

Why, if you're in China, would you ship all the way around to the Atlantic Ocean, come down the St. Lawrence Seaway, across all the Great Lakes to make one shipment ?? How many units did you drop off, if you don't mind my asking ?? This could have something to do with how it worked.

You see, for an entire unit to be outfitted and come through customs fully assembled, it must bear all of the U/L stamps.... to freely come in. Otherwise, it won't get in our country, along with over 100 other countries with the same guidelines, without those stamps. Plain & Simple. However, there are ways of getting this stuff, just like much of the Chinese vinyls, banner medias and other stuff and get around customs and that's what ruins or upsets the tables in our economy. The U/L is one thing, but so is the ISO 9001 regulated company. Is yours ?? Since you never heard of this, I highly doubt that one, either.

I don't want to make waves for you here, but I don't see at this point how you can benefit anyone here, let alone in the rest of our country in this industry.

Perhaps, you're either going to have to re-consider how you build these things or keep on doing it illegally and keep finding suckers here willing to break the law to make a few cheap bucks. There are so many ways of muddying the waters, to cover your tracks, that I'm sure you'll figure it out. Heck, you already have someone in Tampa and Minnesota. A few more and you'll have a foothold, until you get caught. You're not here, so you won't care of the damage you leave behind. Just look for another sucker.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Lots of good information out on the web on this subject:
http://www.greenexpo365.com/portals...&A_Guide_for_NA_Product_Certification(US).pdf
Looks like you don't have to be UL listed to meet the code but having one of the recognized certification tags will allow you to sell to the largest range of customers and stay within the local & federal requirements.

wayne k
guam usa

Gino
China is number one in ISO 9001 certificates issued, the USA is way down the list at 9th place behind Russia and India. Can't be just a population numbers thing. Much smaller economies like Italy & Spain are ahead of us.

dlcled

I am not sure if they sell legal or illegal. I heart that without a permit, they can't sell. But they sold indeed. I hope they got the permit.

Another example is, when I worked in another sign company, there was a customer who sold lots of message centers and at that time, our displays were not UL approved either. That was about 4 or 5 years ago.

No I don't think so, they most likely do not get permits and just do thing illegal!

dlcled

I don't think China is aggressive on economic. There are 1.4 billion population in China and thousands of companies in every business. Imagine the competition, it is like a war, but not to USA but between ourselves. Every single person, every company, they strive to survive and trying to sell products to oversea market. So, calm down, we are not waging an economic war against USA. USA behold advanced & sophisticated technologies, which China may take 50 years or even 100 years to catch. And even 50 years or even 100 later, US will go further another 50 or 100 years ahead...What we are doing is just for survival and development. This is just my idea. a little bit far topic from Sign..:doh:

If they are not U/L approved, where in the United States can you install one of these and still pass the electrical codes ??

Anything electrical [in the sign industry] must be made with U/L approved parts, assembled with U/L approved electricians and stamped with an authorized U/L stamp on the outside for the inspector to see at a glance. It must be registered U/L through and through. How do you get around this legally ??

I see you are selling full units. If something other than bulbs go out, can ANY parts be obtained to fix a broken unit, regardless of what goes wrong ??

I know a guy that has a Chinese LED board and he can't get parts to fit his unit. He's tried and no one can get the parts from Mainland China. Are you set up with all and every serviceable part in your machine for in the United States ??

#1 Gino I love you man...

#2 what you have posted isn't correct.

#3 I wish that it was.

there are MANY within our trade who have been bitching, moaning and even lobbying for a national standard in regards to what is & is not legal within our trade.

sadly there is wide confusion as to what is & is not allowed & even who can & can not perform what tasks within our trade..the only fact is that the requirements are not the same from state to state & even less so municipality to municipality.

I for one am a fan of Underwriters Laboratories & feel that it is a good standard,however it is not required by every municipality..there are cities where an electrical sign cabinet can be constructed & installed out of lumber by a licensed electrician..heck there are communities where you do not have to have electrical training to build, install , service & pull permits for electricalsigns...do I agree with it ... NO . but the standards of what is &is not allowed are wildly different from one city to another.

the reverse is also true..there are communities where you must be a licensed electrician to legally change the graphics on an illuminated sign,which is equally as erroneous in my opinion and further illustrates the need for a unified standard in regards to a fair & understandable sign code.

dlcled

yes, I am learning but not only learning. I know this forum is global and lots of western business men are here. That's why I post thread here, to make people know what we are and what we are doing, even our shortcoming.Discussion makes improvement.I truly believe that what we are doing are not against law. I knew that US require UL but experiences also told me that some sign companies can make the signs legal and pass the inspection through their re-work on the signs before they sell. There are many different voices on selling signs to USA, some say they must be UL but others immediately oppose and bring their proof that they have regular customers who buy their NON-UL approval signs.I am not here for obtaining a bad fame neither telling others that "we are selling illegal stuff, we are selling rubbish, will you buy?". That is stupid if I really do it. And I am still not trying to "pedal illegal wares" to some shops and find someone who can sell against law for "a few cheap bucks". We do our business based on C&F or FOB, for such a low profit signs, could we spend high money to find loophole? If we have that money,we would rather to apply UL. This is not weapons, not drugs, man. To take care of the goods is the shippers responsibility. and some brokers in USA are also helping their client to make customs clearance.But that doesn't mean they do illegally. Although I don't know how do they operate the procedure but I am sure they are doing under the law and I also believe that my customers are doing legal things.

Doesn't it make sense to ship even one cubic meter goods all the way from China to United States through the Atlantic Ocean to even a town in United States? Of course I won't drive a canoe taking my signs traveling the Pacific Ocean, Atlantic Ocean....as you said, the shipper will take care of it. Why can't I?

The facts are facts. My goods are working in Unite States and we used partially UL approval parts. The fully unit was not UL approved and they are there. And my customer didn't ask me about UL matter on the whole unit UL thing but just asked power supply and I even told a customer about the wiring matter who was not really know how should it be. I knew ISO since 2004. We didn't apply doesn't mean I didn't know. ISO is very common here but, most of customers don't care much about that. If you have, it's ok. If no, no problem. They concern more on how is the products and the components the companies use. CE must be(to EU), RoHS must be(EU), FCC ok, UL partially OK. But most USA customers would like the whole unit UL listed, that's why I got an idea that not every company will require UL, some companies may re-do the signs in their plant to make them comply with UL standard and pass the inspection. Without inspection and they sell,despite legal or illegal, they may not get compensation when have problem and there is no law to protect them. I guess there may be no sign companies would rather take that risk.

Although I am from China---famous with its low quality, non-standard stuff,etc. and I am trying to make advertisement on selling non-UL message signs,I am not feeling that you are making waves here, I'd rather think we are discussing or debate and I like your frankness. It's important to benefit the customers we serve. UL is the firs thing may be in United States, we loose. Providing reliable quality products at the same price level, we may win; Providing fast after sale service and quick response to technical problem or questions, we may win. To provide custom software&hardware applications on LED Displays, we may win(not every sign company can provide their own developed software with an open protocol here in China). In my opinion, three "may wins" VS one loose, we may get a "possible" chance.

Again, we are doing completely legal here. And I am not trying to cheat anyone else and neither luring anyone to break the law in United States! One mind is narrow but two minds are wiser.Am I stupid to keep finding suckers here?

dlc......

No disrespect, but if you're only learning this stuff now, after you've set up your operations, it hardly appears as though you've done your homework to sell abroad. This information is for most of the world, especially the western hemisphere and most of Europe.

I can't believe that in China you can't find this information out on your own, but instead have to hear it from a forum where you're trying to sell your wares. Unfortunately for you, you are trying to pedal illegal wares in our country and if you found some shops which did it.... at some point, you had to be aware it was against the law. I always thought the shipper had to take care of customs, but it sounds like you and your partners have found a loophole somewhere.

Why, if you're in China, would you ship all the way around to the Atlantic Ocean, come down the St. Lawrence Seaway, across all the Great Lakes to make one shipment ?? How many units did you drop off, if you don't mind my asking ?? This could have something to do with how it worked.

You see, for an entire unit to be outfitted and come through customs fully assembled, it must bear all of the U/L stamps.... to freely come in. Otherwise, it won't get in our country, along with over 100 other countries with the same guidelines, without those stamps. Plain & Simple. However, there are ways of getting this stuff, just like much of the Chinese vinyls, banner medias and other stuff and get around customs and that's what ruins or upsets the tables in our economy. The U/L is one thing, but so is the ISO 9001 regulated company. Is yours ?? Since you never heard of this, I highly doubt that one, either.

I don't want to make waves for you here, but I don't see at this point how you can benefit anyone here, let alone in the rest of our country in this industry.

Perhaps, you're either going to have to re-consider how you build these things or keep on doing it illegally and keep finding suckers here willing to break the law to make a few cheap bucks. There are so many ways of muddying the waters, to cover your tracks, that I'm sure you'll figure it out. Heck, you already have someone in Tampa and Minnesota. A few more and you'll have a foothold, until you get caught. You're not here, so you won't care of the damage you leave behind. Just look for another sucker.