• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo design - before and after

Todd-sta

Phototec - I am in 100% agreement with what you have shown - the tightened kerning makes good visual sense. Thank you for that!

I hope people realize that when someone posts a design asking for a review and feedback, and then don't implement each suggestion offered - it does NOT mean that the poster is looking for nothing more than accolades. Quite often, a design is viable as posted; with some minor tweaks making it stronger and more visually refined.

I have implemented some good suggestions from people here, and I believe the kerning is another good suggestion which I will include.

This site is a great resource to 'collaborate' with other professionals, and helps fill the void of not having a creative staff on site to bounce ideas off.

Some good ideas - thanks again for the second set of eyes.

GFX - I like the idea of an alternative color for the 'Kitchen and Bath' line of text.... however, I'm thinking that the thin yellow text disappears on the white background as you back off from the screen. I am concerned that, on a sign or even a business card, it would be difficult to read. But the general idea is worth exploring - it lends more weight to the main part of the word - McDaniels.

Guys - not seeing the 'pee' thing. hehe

Tiki

Font Sage
Maybe try a little bolder typeface for your main copy or centering the cloud

Attachments

• 1bbbbbbbbbbbbbb.jpg
    1bbbbbbbbbbbbbb.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 82

Keith Jenicek

Thinking outside the box, is there any way to tie in a Kitchen or Bath Graphic like a faucet or something? Maybe make the cloud morf into a faucet. Just exploring...

Also, if they want to keep the "and", how about giving it some motion?

Your update definately takes the 80's feel out of the old. Love the sun to brighten things up! The old and the new reminds me of bad day, good day.

Marlene

love what tiki did. the half circles above and below the "and" really work. also the bolder font for the company name

TheSnowman

I didn't read through all of these, but I like it long as you don't have to do it out of cut vinyl. Anything that "fades away" that you have to do in vinyl on a vehicle or something, seems to always bite me in the butt, so I quit doing it when possible.

2B

Hi Todd-

Does the jingle say and spell 'a - n - d'? Otherwise not sure why you wouldn't use an ampersand there. I'm confused by what you meant about it being used in a jingle-

Only other comment is I'm not sure what the sun and rays have to do with a kitchen and bath company. It's a huge improvement for sure, just generally I'd prefer a stronger graphical tie in to the nature of the business in case the secondary copy is missed.

Good job!

+1

wondering the same what sun rays OR clouds have to do with theses products

Todd-sta

+1

wondering the same what sun rays OR clouds have to do with theses products

Good question. All I can tell you is that this local company has had their ugly 'marshmellow' cloud logo for somewhere around 40+ years and the local and surrounding communities have come to 'relate' it to their business.

They sell much more than just kitchen and bath now..... and if it were me, I'd consider switching the kitchen and bath to something more encompassing, or possibly, 'Kitchen, Bath, Home.'

Not sure why it is so difficult to embrace 'sunrays' behind clouds. Happy verses gloomy. I just took a peek at Dan's website as I often do, because I LOVE his vehicle graphic designs... and I see 'rays' of one kind or another as a background element in most of his vehicle graphic wraps. I think they look great... maybe slightly different than what I am showing... but I don't see this as a questionable element.

I can understand a specific graphic to support the business image in the case of many of Dan's vehicle wrap clients..... but for the most part they are clearly and specifically defined as a single business focus: 'Plumbing'..... "Ductwork"..... etc which would naturally call for an image of a plumber w/wrench or the neat DuctMan for ductwork, etc. All of which look marvelous by-the-way.

Not sure something as broad as what McDaniels does could include an image of a sink, refrigerator, stove, countertop, dishwasher, cabinets...... and certainly not a toilet.

But, I might not be thinking out of the box..... throw a few suggestions my way. But the client made clear he wants to keep the cloud for the reasons stated above.

Sometimes, you have to work within certain parameters, whether you totally agree or not.

I think suggesting certain avenues to a client is great... and if they bite, that's even better. But ultimately, you need to give them what they want to be happy.

Todd-sta

Tiki - I like what you have done there! I will throw him a few extra versions with your suggestions of different/ bolder type face included... and the option of a larger, more encompassing cloud. Thanks!

visual800

go back to the first pic your posted and leave it the hell alone before it ends up looking like a damn logo for a sunday school class. drop the rays and all that junk and make it simple bring it back to a cabinet compnay and drop the cloud stuff that looks awful

Todd-sta

Keith - thanks for the suggestions.... I have to take into account what Dan and you suggested as far as adding another 'specific' visual element.... just not sure how to do that exactly with the wide array of services they offer....

Dan Antonelli

I just took a peek at Dan's website as I often do, because I LOVE his vehicle graphic designs... and I see 'rays' of one kind or another as a background element in most of his vehicle graphic wraps. I think they look great... maybe slightly different than what I am showing... but I don't see this as a questionable element.

I can understand a specific graphic to support the business image in the case of many of Dan's vehicle wrap clients..... but for the most part they are clearly and specifically defined as a single business focus: 'Plumbing'..... "Ductwork"..... etc which would naturally call for an image of a plumber w/wrench or the neat DuctMan for ductwork, etc. All of which look marvelous by-the-way.

Todd, the bursts - as a background element it has its place - but primarily they work to support an overall theme (typically retro in the instances we've used them). I think from a brand perspective, though, you want to approach it from the perspective of building a unique identifiable element which serves to brand that business with a specific concept related to their business type, or a have the brand evoke a specific feeling which relates back to the type of service they perform. In my new book I go into this concept of the 'promise of the brand' which, in short, is what the level of expectation one 'feels' when examining a small business brand.

It's easy to monday morning quarterback from here, as we don't know more about the previous brand integration, notoriety, demographics etc. Were this a new client from me, I would probably approach it from the perspective of noting that past success and name recognition is not necessarily a valid reason to perpetuate the existing brand. Typically, the previous brand can be viewed as a warm blanket for the client. But often, a better brand might have brought them more success.

No specific right or wrong here. Some clients don't want to hear it. It's all good at the end of the day how they want to spend their money, but if they want a wrap design with a poor brand, we walk. I'm extremely blessed with enough work that that decision is easy. What's interesting is that it really signals to most clients that there may in fact be something wrong, if we don't want to touch it. Trust me, though - I completely understand that most shops can't operate this way, and at the end of the day they need to do the job, and collect a check.

Todd-sta

Thanks Dan - excellent information. I appreciate your input. I'll have to do a little brainstorming to see what kind of 'branding' tie-in image I can come up with.

As I mentioned above, the hard part for me is the fact that they do so many different things... that I become confused as to what identifiable element I might focus on. So, perhaps I need to consider that more, come up with an alternative idea to their trademark 'cloud' and make a pitch towards a new direction.

Thanks again, Dan! :smile:

signmeup

Maybe I'm way off base here but it looks like duck to me.

If Dan posted it we would all oooh and ahhh. :wink:

Attachments

• ToddVan.jpg
    ToddVan.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 88