• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

long time adobe user WOWed by corel x4

Joe Diaz

No Joe... you aren't getting it either...

My point... my only point... is that Illy... straight out the box... handles color way better than Corel..
That is your opinion. I disagree.

there is no "learning" curve on how to get it to print correct color... That is your so you keep proving my point when you say that Corel has to be adjusted and set up to print correctly...
I didn't say that, I said you can customize your color profiles easily. That is a good thing. To have options and to easily be able to use them and switch between them.

in Illy there is a bare minimum of that (basically your resolution settings)...
I don't see that as good thing. I like to have the ability to change those setting. The easier the better.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Nothing should be considered "print ready" unless you are the printer or the user that gave you the file has "your" printing device's color profiles and uses them.

Joe has definitly has the right idea. Pay attention.

Could you get a little more condescending? I am paying attention and I don't agree with him that it is the way things work in the real world.

geez

Edited to add: Joe - I really do like your spirited defense of Corel and appreciate your replies...

Last edited:

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Maybe the issue Stacy is trying to make is that in your own sign shop... colors, output, fonts, profiles, etc are easier to master. But when you are accepting files from customers then you run into trouble. Many years ago, I mostly used Corel and after getting burned on bad output from Corel I switched to Illustrator and have never given Corel another chance.

Keep in mind that I AFAIK, eps is Adobe's baby so you will usually get predictable output when that eps file is opened/manipulated in Illustrator/Photoshop. Flexi or Corel may be superior in one way or another, but outside the confines of your shop EPS and Ai files are the standard

If you take your Corel or Flexi files somewhere for output you will be turned away or laughed at. Mac/Adobe are still very much the preferred pairing when you go "outside" of your shop. Not that long ago, some shops laughed at you when you brought in Indesign files. Quark was the standard for desktop publishing just a short time ago

Anymore you cannot usually tell if a file was created on a Mac or PC and I won't argue the point. I have used both and they have their strengths/weaknesses

Service Sign Co

I have some color issues with client supplied artwork done in illustrator, opened in corel that were not there when opened in illustrator. There are workarounds,but if you are working from client supplied artwork,the best bet is to have every program available

Last edited:

Bigdawg

Just Me
I come from a service bureau background... believe it or not I was running Corel on a windows 3.1 machine outputting manually created color seps and negs to a linotronic imagesetter. I worked daily with Corel files through version 9 in the same type of environment, so I am fairly intimate with the program's basics. I come from a background where 2 or 3 percent variance in the three-quarter tones was not acceptable... and Corel was unstable in that area.

I will agree that the color handling in Corel has come a long way and in that service bureau environment where you handled each file and controlled the settings... we made it work then. I can make it work now. But I still find it's end user color to be a challenge to the user that doesn't have those basics - like most office managers, etc.

Thanks Eric for articulating my thoughts better than I can. While I can use all of the programs at my disposal... and do for specific tasks... I started with Illustrator 88 and it will probably always be my favorite. But it has it's issues too (can we say transparency and versaworks?)

DrCAS

version 8 was a copulation of COREL 7 & XARA.

Does that mean we got screwed compared to other versions? :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, I really like X3. I was long time CASmate user. I still use it but use X3 as my go to program for everyday stuff.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
maybe it's not true, I still see basic Corel Draw questions by people who I would have assumes as being "expert"

luggnut

maybe it's not true, I still see basic Corel Draw questions by people who I would have assumes as being "expert"

come on man... give me the answer, i need it. transparecy in gradients please!!!!!

you aren't talking about using the opacity mask trick... i used that before, but it is fairly complex operation for most. corel's transparency in gradient tool is just.... click

Last edited:

luggnut

i see transparency in gradients is in CS4... very nice, but still a little more complex than corel. but that complexity does allow for a few more options (it looks like it, i haven't tried it yet)

signmeup

Transparent gradients in Corel 12 (6 year old version)
1. Select gradient filled object.
2. Click transparency button.
3. Select type of transparency from drop down list.
4. Done.

Ken

Well, yes. I am a Corel(X3) guy. If colours are wrong, I tweak in the RGB mode...
Not very difficult.
What works best for you..is the obvious thing.
Corel Canada...Cheers!...Ken

rockz12

Specializing in the strange and unusual
Always remember its not the arrow, its the indian. Never touched Corel a day in my life. Maybe I should give it a shot to see what all the fuss is about.

andy

Does illustrator still limit you to a teeny weeny page size?

I take files from customers who've spent big money on "proper" CAD software like AutoCad and Solid Works.... they are always amazed that I have the ability to make production drawings at full size whilst they are stuck on an A4 page.

Personally I HATE working at scale, it's quaint, old fashioned and a huge pain in the butt.

If you need to make big things quickly and easily Corel is simply THE best solution.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Does illustrator still limit you to a teeny weeny page size?

I take files from customers who've spent big money on "proper" CAD software like AutoCad and Solid Works.... they are always amazed that I have the ability to make production drawings at full size whilst they are stuck on an A4 page.

Personally I HATE working at scale, it's quaint, old fashioned and a huge pain in the butt.

If you need to make big things quickly and easily Corel is simply THE best solution.

In my case (and most cases in the States and other countries I have had to design in) I have to draw in scale no matter what program I use. I don't build, print or permit the signs I design, I design and/or prepare the drawings that go out to multiple bidders. By code, they must be reviewed by building, planning, architectural review, other vendors and whatever official entity that are required to review them. Unless of course they want full size plotted plans of a 150' monument sign, that would be fun to carry that around and rolling it out during inspection... quaint indeed.

andy

Scale drawings take too long to make and add extra hassle.

I have a 200m2 set of ceiling panels to produce next week. The architect has created a smart looking AutoCad Blueprint which is packed full of broken nodes, stepped curves and over lapping lines. He's not making the panels so he doesn't care about all this stuff- he probably doesn't even know the significance of these problems.

To make the real, full size panels I've got to bring in the AutoCad starter drawing and remake it in Corel so I get nice smooth vectors and closed loops- then I have something the water jet understands.

To make sure the patterns all line up properly my architect has been peering at a teeny weeny on screen drawing which looks OK in AutoCAD. Dumped into Corel and blown to full size I can see that the overlaps are way out- in scale his 0.25mm discrepancies are hardly visible- in my Corel screen these "errors" translate to an error of over 30mm per panel- a massive problem when anyone looks at the finished ceiling panels.

I have large machines which take large sheets- Corel allows me to match the machine, the sheet and the cutting file into one full size package quickly and very, very easily.