• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Losing Weight.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
rjssigns said:
How to lose weight.
1) Go for your yearly physical.
2) Look at test results and scare yourself.
That is all the motivation you will need.

Here's one trick I do: I donate platelets at Oklahoma Blood Institute about once a month. They're always calling me up asking me to donate since the eligible donor pool is relatively small and so many medical patients need the stuff (particularly people undergoing cancer treatment).

Anyway, it's a free way to stay on top of one's total cholesterol level, blood pressure and triglycerides. They don't pay you for the donations, but you can build up points in their "members for life" program, which can be redeemed for all sorts of things, from tests like a full lipid panel down to Walmart gift cards.

Texas_Signmaker said:
I just had mine last week and it said my bad cholesterol was "high" at 118. I don't know what I could do because I eat better than 99% of people out there.

Only 25% of the cholesterol the blood stream comes directly from the food we eat. The other 75% is produced by the liver. But the liver pumps out "blood mud" in varying degrees, partly in reaction to what someone eats. That factor is going to vary from one person to the next. Genetics plays a part. It seems like one's blood type may be a factor in whether a person is more prone to develop high cholesterol levels. Many people with type A blood have issues with it while those with type O blood seem to be able to eat more red meat without as many consequences. I can usually keep my total cholesterol number well under 200 by just avoiding foods and snacks high in saturated fat.

Of course cholesterol level is only one factor contributing to cardiovascular/heart disease. Blood pressure, resting heart rate levels and even blood sugar are important to track as well.

The Big Squeegee said:
I eat a plant based diet as well. My total cholesterol is 89.

A total cholesterol number under 120 (and LDL under 50) is considered abnormally low. Cholesterol is involved with the production of hormones and vitamin D. Levels too low can affect the health of the brain. The body needs at least a small intake of cholesterol from foods, as well as good fats, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated. The body can convert polyunsaturated fatty acid chains into all kinds of useful fuels. Obviously one doesn't have to eat meat to consume "good" fats, amino acids, etc. Nuts, seeds and some whole grains have it.

Last edited:

decalman

I transitioned from fast food to MOSTLY whole fruits and veggies (going gluten free naturally eliminated a bunch of packaged food) It's amazing how your taste buds change when you eliminate all that crap. Fruits and veggies taste amazing. Carrots are super sweet. I actually salavate and look forward to veggies now that I truley know how they taste.
You hit the nail on the head.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
You hit the nail on the head.

Since I wrote that post I've also discovered "natural flavors". I started to avoid them and once you're off "natural flavors" for a while that helps your taste buds balance back out too. If I eat/drink something with natural flavors now I can tell right away and it's like old lady perfume. I also did away with scented laundry soap because it was becoming so powerful. It's amazing how accustomed and dulled we have become to fragrances and chemical flavors.