Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Material Fail?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by SAR.Summerlin, Dec 26, 2012.

1. SAR.Summerlin

SAR.Summerlin Member

Jul 11, 2012
    So we did these signs on Friday and they were put out on Saturday. today the customer sends us this picture. I am new to this and not sure I used the correct material. What could cause this and what should I have used.

Used Dibond substrate with a 3M IJ35 matte vinyl and a unknown brand matte lamination.

Sign is at the local ski resort so is regularly exposed to below zero temperatures.

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. the graphics co

the graphics co Active Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Gurnee, IL
    Looks like someone picked at the edge of the graphic.

3. OADesign

OADesign Active Member

Jan 27, 2006
    California
    This may be a silly question, but did you clean your dibond well before applying your graphics? And with what?

I use Dibond/MaxMetal ALL the time. But once in a while some comes in with oils on it. Maybe from the manufacture process, who knows? But its wont even hold the protective film. On certain sheets the, protective liner will fall off while sitting on the rack. I use iso or denatured to thoroughly clean the sign before applying the graphics.

Maybe one got by you?

4. SAR.Summerlin

SAR.Summerlin Member

Jul 11, 2012
    I did clean them well with denatured alcohol. Also according to the customer this is happening on all 4 signs.

5. John Butto

John Butto Very Active Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Did you use wet or dry install.

6. SAR.Summerlin

SAR.Summerlin Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Dry using my laminator

7. skyhigh

skyhigh Major Contributor

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
    i doubt this is your problem but how do you use UNKNOWN materials?

Ok maybe that is your problem.

8. SAR.Summerlin

SAR.Summerlin Member

Jul 11, 2012
    We are a franchise and when we started the company gave us a starter pack of supplies I am still working through that 6 months later. Unfortunately most of the materials were not labeled so I haven't got a clue as to what brand they are. I have asked repeatedly for a list of the materials we were given and apparently my request has fallen on deaf ears.

9. SlightlyChilled

SlightlyChilled Very Active Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Hell
    Get some lam and wrap the edges.

10. SlightlyChilled

SlightlyChilled Very Active Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Hell
    Do you just work at the sign-o-ramma or are you the franchisy? If you are the Franchisy I would be calling your head people at the main office looking for help.

11. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    harsh conditions require premium materials

12. kanini

kanini Member

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Could it be a laminate suitable for indoors application only? Or is all material you have for outdoor use? If it's a laminate used only for paper posters etc. indoors it could happen some strange stuff outdoors, shrinkage of the laminate for example...

13. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    alcohol is not a cleaner.
    It is a solvent. It is not an all magic remover of contaminants.

A solvent reduces a product to a liquid form. It allows it to be moved around whatever. It takes lots more solvent and lots more work to remove contaminants via a solvent.. IT never completely removes all the bad stuff.

A cleaner is completely different. A cleaner uses molecules as a magnet to capture and carry away contaminates.

Molecules have poles. They spin positive or negative. Either way one pole reduces contaminants and the other pole captures the contaminants. Then you wipe away the dirt and it stay with the cleaner.

That is the difference between cleaners and solvents. That is why some cleaners work very well. That is why Alcohol will leave a smear after trying to use it as a cleaner.

14. DizzyMarkus

DizzyMarkus Active Member

Jan 23, 2012
    not trimmed properly-- leaving an small "edge" for it to be "rolled" up

outgas before lam?

It does appear looking at it that someone messed with it -- a rolled up edge shouldnt have missing pieces lol

Markus

15. BobM

BobM Very Active Member

May 31, 2008
    Cape Cod
    Was there delamination all over the panel or only just on the edges? My guess is the surface was not properly cleaned. I clean with Rapid Prep and then again with Rapid Prep again using unprinted paper towels. I pay special attention to the edges.

16. SAR.Summerlin

SAR.Summerlin Member

Jul 11, 2012
    I just work here.

Everyone else thanks for the feed back we are going to get the bad signs back and see if we can fix this problem so all your feedback helps.

Also I have no clue if the lam was rated for indoor only since I don't know what it is. I would guess though that the company gave me outdoor lam.

17. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    would definitely wrap the lam to the back side for an extra level of protection from vandalism

looks like someone was picking the edge, and because of the height of the sign everyone will have access to those edges.

18. skyhigh

skyhigh Major Contributor

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
    and what brand of cleaner do u recommend tech?

19. SAR.Summerlin

SAR.Summerlin Member

Jul 11, 2012
    I run a latex machine do I still need to outgas?

20. John Butto

John Butto Very Active Member

Jan 9, 2007
    lunch

Only if you had gone to Taco Bell.