• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Material Failure or Damaged by customer?

Material Failure or Damaged by Customer

• Material Failure

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Damaged by Customer

Votes: 53 96.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TimToad

First of all, I find it pretty incredible that a bubble big enough to cause that kind of blowout if pressed down on wouldn't be noticed by the OP, or that even laminated window perf could cause that big of a bubble at all. There are so many escape route for trapped air, it seems very unlikely that size of a bubble could have gone unnoticed.

Both materials are pretty stretchy and those are some really jagged tears.

MikePro

you should be charging him extra... for saving his window from being shattered by whatever it is that did the gouging.

StarSign

Cheat you once, shame on him. Cheat you twice, shame on you. That would weigh my decision. Do I think if I fix it be it free or otherwise will he pull something like this again?

Techman

he backed out of the garage with the cargo door up.. Snagged the stuff on the raised garage door.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Ask him if he would mind having his truck impounded so that you can call in a swat team of window perf forensic experts from the film manufacturer.
Full documentation needed, this being the first known case of unattended spontaneous window perf implosion ever recorded.....

wayne k
guam usa

SignProPlus-Chip

Tell him point blank that you can tell from experience it didn't just "pop".

Ask firmly if he knows what did the damage...get him to cop to it.

Tell him next time not to lie about it, that you are always willing to help out with an unforeseen instance like this so soon after it was a fresh install. Be sympathetic to the bad luck.

Tell him you like keeping clients happy and although you cannot repair it for free, offer it to him at a reduced rate.

I know I have a few clients i would likely replace the perf at cost for, because they are regulars and I like keeping them happy.

Word of mouth goes a long way, but your mileage may vary.

CanuckSigns

Tell him point blank that you can tell from experience it didn't just "pop".

Ask firmly if he knows what did the damage...get him to cop to it.

Tell him next time not to lie about it, that you are always willing to help out with an unforeseen instance like this so soon after it was a fresh install. Be sympathetic to the bad luck.

Tell him you like keeping clients happy and although you cannot repair it for free, offer it to him at a reduced rate.

I know I have a few clients i would likely replace the perf at cost for, because they are regulars and I like keeping them happy.

Word of mouth goes a long way, but your mileage may vary.

i've never liked the idea of "replacing for cost" because now they know your cost, some of our products have a very healthy profit margin in them (as they should) and I wouldn't want my client to know the product i charged him $200 for actually cost $40 to make, i would imagine the next order they place, they would be questioning my prices. I would word it as a "large discount"

Pegler911

An air bubble in perf?? Ummmm.....ok. Doubt that. He sounds like he's trying to pull a fast one on you brother.

player

Set up the same materials on glass with some air bubbles like he described. Get him to show you how he was able to pop the bubbles to look like what he has done. If he can reproduce the damage, fix it for free. If not, negotiate what you want with him.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, I've read all the recommendations, accusations, reasoning and can't find where the customer went wrong, unless he IS in fact, a bold faced liar.

You said he's a nice guy, a new customer and he tried to fix a flaw in your work. I know for a fact, it's sometimes hard to see a small bubble in vinyl, let alone perf. It does look as if there was a problem here, but no one can be sure what created it or who started it. So, if it was there and he handled it wrong, it still needs to be fixed. Your dime in my opinion. If he gouged it and is lying about it, big whoop, like mentioned, about $20 in materials and some time. You now know how to address this customer in the future, if he returns.

Calling someone a liar, when you have no proof of it, is sometimes a death sentence against all future work..... and not just his. Most businesses are built on reputation and if you go around calling people liars and cheats, no one will wanna do business with you regardless of who was at fault for a $20 repair. Is your future and reputation not worth you taking a stride to the side ??

I'd fix it in a heart beat. I just did it yesterday and to a much higher number than $20. Mistakes should be figured into all calculations regardless of who is at fault. The less you don't need to use that, the more you save up for when it does happen. It's like a little insurance plan built into things. We call it the 'SH!T factor. Not to be confused with the PITA factor.

Do as you like, it's just a suggestion from someone whose been around the block a few times. :rolleyes:

qmr55

So, I've read all the recommendations, accusations, reasoning and can't find where the customer went wrong, unless he IS in fact, a bold faced liar.

You said he's a nice guy, a new customer and he tried to fix a flaw in your work. I know for a fact, it's sometimes hard to see a small bubble in vinyl, let alone perf. It does look as if there was a problem here, but no one can be sure what created it or who started it. So, if it was there and he handled it wrong, it still needs to be fixed. Your dime in my opinion. If he gouged it and is lying about it, big whoop, like mentioned, about $20 in materials and some time. You now know how to address this customer in the future, if he returns.

Calling someone a liar, when you have no proof of it, is sometimes a death sentence against all future work..... and not just his. Most businesses are built on reputation and if you go around calling people liars and cheats, no one will wanna do business with you regardless of who was at fault for a $20 repair. Is your future and reputation not worth you taking a stride to the side ??

I'd fix it in a heart beat. I just did it yesterday and to a much higher number than $20. Mistakes should be figured into all calculations regardless of who is at fault. The less you don't need to use that, the more you save up for when it does happen. It's like a little insurance plan built into things. We call it the 'SH!T factor. Not to be confused with the PITA factor.

Do as you like, it's just a suggestion from someone whose been around the block a few times. :rolleyes:

THIS :thumb: