• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Misinformation about PrismJET VJ48/Mutoh 1204

rambo555

I used to purchase everything from SW. I bought my printer from them and almost every piece of equipment I have. Fellers wasn't interested in my business. That all changed a year ago when SW started to make me feel like I wasn't important to their business anymore. To think that I purchased over 40K of stuff from them and then they want to charge me for "support" sent me over the edge. To make a long story short...

SW is out and I buy everything from Fellers and SignsPlusBanners again. In my eyes, Mutoh made a bad decision by having SW the exclusive reseller of the 1204. I was at Mutoh in March of this year for wrap training and I made my feelings clear. I fear making additional Mutoh printer purchases as they may do this again in the future.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
On the signmythbreakers website near the bottom there are a few print examples from the PrismJet and VersaCamm. I've attached the two samples currently on your signmythbreakers website, the file name indicates which printer was used.

Why does the Prismjet Extra C example look so bad compared to the VersaCamm example?

HAHAHAHA that's clearly not the same output file. Look at the different spots I highlighted on the "print samples". The differences are not "Print" differences, they are "File" differences.
:Oops:

Attachments

• rolandvsmutoh.jpg
    rolandvsmutoh.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 102

Bigdawg

Just Me
Don't think so Kentucky... those are the same file IMHO...

I've seen that drastic a difference on the same file with different medias... and ink limits... and profile set-ups...

signage

I think the files most likey are the same but one was printed by some one more versed in the print and the other one by some one new to the printer! Both printers are capable of fine outputs! Operator experience or lack of!

briankb

Premium Subscriber
I think the files most likey are the same but one was printed by some one more versed in the print and the other one by some one new to the printer! Both printers are capable of fine outputs! Operator experience or lack of!

I suspect you are 100% correct. However Jerry should not only be able to see the difference in the images but know what the problem is and how to fix it. Makes you think a little harder before calling SW and giving them $10k or more for equipment. I'd rather pay a little more and get it from one of my local dealers. Competition is still pretty good even now, at least in Florida.

astro8

Same file - different Rips...obviously one able to handle transparency/blends better than the other.

letterman7

I understand where you're coming from. We've looked at our shipping policies several times recently and considered revisions. The problem is, with all of our packages being sent from two locations, shipping is a larger cost for us than it is for some smaller resellers. If we gave free shipping on all orders, we would have to raise prices, which we'd rather not do, especially when so many customers need to watch their pennies.

Then why not ship directly from those two centers? Why should your customers suffer from ySW shipping the units in to a central point, then shipping them back out? That makes no sense at all....

mark in tx

Why the hell would anyone want to buy a 48" printer?
Does it print full bleed?
Is the media actually 48.5 inches so you can install it on a 4x8 substrate without worry?

I've never met anyone, or talked with anyone that bought a 30" or 48" printer that doesn't say the same thing, "I should have bought the 54" printer."

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Is the media actually 48.5 inches so you can install it on a 4x8 substrate without worry?

I've never met anyone, or talked with anyone that bought a 30" or 48" printer that doesn't say the same thing, "I should have bought the 54" printer."

Really? I've owned two 48" printers and never, as in ever, wished I had bought something wider.

99% of everything I print, excepting banners, is on 30" media. I find that size most convenient for one person to wrangle.

The 48" ValueJet can run media up to 51.nnn inches wide and can print the full 48" albeit in uni-directional mode only. In bi-directional mode it's slightly less than 48". Go figure.

MachServTech

Don't think so Kentucky... those are the same file IMHO...

I've seen that drastic a difference on the same file with different medias... and ink limits... and profile set-ups...
Kentucky is right the EPS was rendered differently. You can tell in the gradients.

andy

I always though the right way to store vinyl was end on.... I can't see any supplier farting about rotating their rolls like they do with bottles of champagne. My vinyl supplier is also the manufacturer and they SAY all vinyl should be stored vertically- period.

When I used to install wraps and such like I always insisted on 48" wide vinyl for the very simple reason that I can reach 48" wide... but I can't reach 54" wide. If you "hang" vinyl vertically you'll find that anything outside your arm span can't be controlled by one person.

Flame

I'm happy with 48" and I print wraps and everything. :)

gnemmas

Why buy 54" material to Print 48"? That is 13% waste of material!

We print 47.5" and leave 1/4" white all around for safety margin.

luggnut

i think the 1204 can print the full 48" maybe a little more? i think it accepts 49" or 51" media? but you can buy it from SW for $8995 i think. now i don't know if that includes shipping or anything else. i get emails from SW advertising this deal sometimes... i don't get them from fellers or anyone else so i don't know how it really compares but the $8995 price is very attractive.

Graphics2u

I think, but not positive that SW is the only place to get a 48" VJ. And it is not Branded as a Mutoh but labeled a PrismJet VJ. Mutoh dealers do not as far as I know have access to a 1204 in the US.

A 48" would be fine for most of my basic needs. However when you add on the speed upgrade and takeup reel to get close to the same setup the 1304 has you're really only talking a $1-2000 diff. To me that would be worth it to have the ability to use 54" if needed. I can't imagine printing a 48" wide print then trying to exactly line it up to a 4 x 8 panel to apply it. Nice to have a .25" comfort zone.

For those that have a 48" VJ can you print a full 48" banner and have enough margin for a 1" hem around the banner? I'm just curious, this is not an accusation that it can't. I just don't know. If it prints 48" in unidirectional and you leave a 1" margin wouldn't it stop printing at 47"? That's the way my Falcon II would be. Hope that makes sense.???

SE SignSupply

The 1204 has been replaced by the 1304 to all dealers except SignWarehouse.

The 1204 will only print a true 48" in uni-directional mode. Printing in bi-directional limits output to around 47.5", we slit our media to around 50" for 1204 customers.

When you add a takeup and the "speed package", you will be very close to the price of a 54" machine.

Ryan

Graphics2u

Interesting

anyone care to corroborate this?
Originally Mutoh only had the 48 and 64 and 100" VJ. Then they came out with the 54 and word was that the 48 would be dropped. however I think SW has exclusive rights to it in the US instead of it being dropped completely.

Correct me if I'm wrong. And I'm sure someone will. :Big Laugh