• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Misinformation about PrismJET VJ48/Mutoh 1204

Graphics2u

The 1204 has been replaced by the 1304 to all dealers except SignWarehouse.

The 1204 will only print a true 48" in uni-directional mode. Printing in bi-directional limits output to around 47.5", we slit our media to around 50" for 1204 customers.

When you add a takeup and the "speed package", you will be very close to the price of a 54" machine.

Ryan

So can you answer my question from earlier about a 48" Banner?

For those that have a 48" VJ can you print a full 48" banner and have enough margin for a 1" hem around the banner? I'm just curious, this is not an accusation that it can't. I just don't know. If it prints 48" in unidirectional and you leave a 1" margin wouldn't it stop printing at 47"? That's the way my Falcon II would be. Hope that makes sense.???

FatCat

For those that have a 48" VJ can you print a full 48" banner and have enough margin for a 1" hem around the banner? I'm just curious, this is not an accusation that it can't. I just don't know. If it prints 48" in unidirectional and you leave a 1" margin wouldn't it stop printing at 47"? That's the way my Falcon II would be. Hope that makes sense.???

I just picked up a VJ-1204 less than 1 year old with take-up which should arrive this week. After months of debating the 48"...54" ...60" issue I decided to go with the VJ-1204 because I got a great deal and for 90% of the work I do it will have no problems. In the event I need something bigger I can sub to Merritt etc. and still have in-house control of the majority of my print work. IF all you do is 4' or larger full bleed graphics then go with a 54" or larger printer, simple as that.

Also, think about it this way, producing a typical cut-vinyl banner you nor your customer ever get a true 24", 36" or 48" finished banner because most banner material comes in those exact widths. Buy a 3' x 6' banner from Fellers and they'll warn you that the banner will finish slightly under at 34-35" etc. So I don't see the big problem in selling a 4' x 8' printed banner that in reality finishes to 46"x 96" instead of 48" x 96".

P

ProWraps™

we bought quite possibly one of the last TRUE 1204 printers from SW. its not a prism jet. it has a black chassis and is mutoh 1204 branded instead of the white one that our 1304 has. its identical to the 1304 as far as the chassis size, except the 1304 has a larger "box" on the end to allow the carriage to go over farther to become a 54" printer.

to think that you have to pay more to get the same speed is criminal in my mind. and nothing more than a stupid greedy way for SW to make more money. rediculous.

Graphics2u

:smile:
I just picked up a VJ-1204 less than 1 year old with take-up which should arrive this week. After months of debating the 48"...54" ...60" issue I decided to go with the VJ-1204 because I got a great deal and for 90% of the work I do it will have no problems. In the event I need something bigger I can sub to Merritt etc. and still have in-house control of the majority of my print work. IF all you do is 4' or larger full bleed graphics then go with a 54" or larger printer, simple as that.

Also, think about it this way, producing a typical cut-vinyl banner you nor your customer ever get a true 24", 36" or 48" finished banner because most banner material comes in those exact widths. Buy a 3' x 6' banner from Fellers and they'll warn you that the banner will finish slightly under at 34-35" etc. So I don't see the big problem in selling a 4' x 8' printed banner that in reality finishes to 46"x 96" instead of 48" x 96".
I think for most people myself included, the 48 would be fine. Unless you're doing wraps all the time then the size might matter to do more seamless work. I was just curious on the banner, that's all. I used to have a customer that wanted a true 48" width, and when the VJ's first came out that discouraged me alittle, but I have a 64" now so who cares!:smile:

Graphics2u

to think that you have to pay more to get the same speed is criminal in my mind. and nothing more than a stupid greedy way for SW to make more money. rediculous.
I'm not sure it's greed as much as it's just a marketing thing to be able to offer a lower priced machine. It's just that some may not realize that it's not the same speed until they own one, and that ain't right.

Probably just a firmware change anyway, I can't hardly believe it's anything mechanical.

Last edited:

FatCat

:smile:
I think for most people myself included, the 48 would be fine. Unless you're doing wraps all the time then the size might matter to do more seamless work. I was just curious on the banner, that's all. I used to have a customer that wanted a true 48" width, and when the VJ's first came out that discouraged me alittle, but I have a 64" now so who cares!:smile:

I was hung up on the whole "wrap" issue too. However, just realize that ProWraps (above) built his entire business with a 48" machine doing multiple wraps weekly until they bought a 1304 a few months ago. I think that should speak volumes of the capability of the VJ-1204.

*On the other hand, my Fellers sales rep. swore up and down that anyone getting into wraps and buying less than a 64" printer (like a 1604) was crazy because you couldn't wrap most car/truck hoods without a seam.

I guess in the end it's all about what you need, how you use it and what you're willing to pay.

P

ProWraps™

we have done great with our 1204. we wrap one peice hoods all the time. full size truck and larger cars are the only ones that you have to seem. we do a ton of installs for national vendors. on the cars mentioned above, they always send us two peice hoods. go figure. the 1204 has paid for itself probably 100 times since we have had it.

Jackpine

As far as the files go, different printer, RIP, operator and experience could be the difference. I bought my printer from Jerry Barrax when he was sales manager at SSK. I also was looking to buy a Falcon Jr from SW. SW at the time wouldn't even tell me if the "Prismjet" was a Mutoh. Tried to sell what they thought I needed not what I wanted. Jerry was truthful and honest in all ways with me and answered any questions I had. I even talked to the SSK tech team and was absolutly impressed with their questions and answer I got from them. I was sent prints from a Falcon Jr and after I bought the tech support and sales support was second to none. I now can rely on H&H Sign Supplies, Gregory, Richards Distributing, Signs+Banners and Fellers as for good service, price and choice.
As Bob, I have had very little need for a larger printer than what I have. And when I do I know where to get quality, price and deliverly as I would expect.
I have ordered some from SW with good and not so good results but I have contributed it to a large company with many sale staff that may not have enough information and gets it wrong from time to time.
So as sales managers go .... Jerry Barrex is more than OK in my book.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
we bought quite possibly one of the last TRUE 1204 printers from SW. its not a prism jet. it has a black chassis and is mutoh 1204 branded instead of the white one that our 1304 has. its identical to the 1304 as far as the chassis size, except the 1304 has a larger "box" on the end to allow the carriage to go over farther to become a 54" printer.

When did you get yours? I received mine in February of this year and it's a Mutoh, not a Prismjet.

The speed upgrade is, apparently, just firmware and if you insist SW will throw it in for nothing. They did for me.

The biggest regret is buying the take-up system. It's very well made and all but you have to either run out about 3' of blank media or use a leader on the take-up roll. Either way, it seems to have a negative effect on media tracking. Every one of the few times I've used it it caused the media to skew rather acutely. Without using it, the printer tracks amazingly well. The take up system on my old Falcon Outdoor 46 was vastly superior in operation. I never use ValueJet take-up system anymore and just let the media pile up accordion fashion on the floor. It was, for me, a waste of money.

P

ProWraps™

bob, the take up real on this printer is WAY better than the one you are refering to. just gotta know how to use it. dont spin off media. just hit print and put a few peices of tape on the edge of the print. when it gets to the roll, tape it on. no media wasted. if its skewing your tracking, there is an adjustment knob on the mount of the left hand side, adjust that acorrdingly and make sure when you tape to the roll, you tape it straight. we have never had it once skew our prints.

when you figure this reel out, you will love it. i know what one you are talking about on your outdoor. the one with the eye. we had that one before as well.

we bought ours over a year ago. but it didnt have the speed downgrade etc.

SE SignSupply

The last 1204's direct from Mutoh were white.

P

ProWraps™

not ours. its a 1204as from SW and its a black capped mutoh. unless they came before the whites. its not a prism jet. even the fellers tech that came out to install our 1304 confirmed.

JBarraxSW

The PrismJET is the black model. Because Mutoh manufactures them as ValueJETs, they all carry the ValueJET decal (which is a little confusing), but ours are marketed as the PrismJET VJ48.

P

ProWraps™

very strange. what firmware does the prismjet carry? because mine isnt 30% slower (prints exactly same speed as the 1304 sitting next to it). and if i remember correctly we bought it before they were marketed as prism jets. i wonder if we got some mid shift model.

P

ProWraps™

heh. digging up the invoice now to see what it was sold to us as.

Arstron

Out of curiosity since a rep from SW is here, can you purchase print heads, maintenance stations, or even wipers for the 1204 from SW yet? The fact we couldnt 2 years ago and the tech support from another company (they gave me there techs sell phone number) is why we havnt bought anything from sw in the past 2 years other then some parts for our old panther.

Our 1204 has been going for 3 years in a month or two, its had its ups and downs but its still used daily.

JBarraxSW

Yes you can purchase maintenance stations, wipers and other normal wear items. The print head should be installed by a certified Mutoh maintenance technician; otherwise you may void your warranty. You may order the parts from our tech support department. You can reach them at 800-966-1783

longbeachmichael

did anyone read the thread "mutoh valuejet bad main board?" that i posted? that vj1204 was from SW and it was barely 1yr and 1month old, we had to get a new mainboard, and printhead. why are the parts from SW so expensive. i had to get a new mainboard and printhead and SW had the highest prices i've found.