• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Misinformation about PrismJET VJ48/Mutoh 1204

JBarraxSW

I don't know why our part prices would be higher but if you'll pm me with the others you've seen, I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the feedback.

Graphics2u

did anyone read the thread "mutoh valuejet bad main board?" that i posted? that vj1204 was from SW and it was barely 1yr and 1month old, we had to get a new mainboard, and printhead. why are the parts from SW so expensive. i had to get a new mainboard and printhead and SW had the highest prices i've found.
You must not have checked with GEI, they have a lock on the highest prices!

Graphics2u

That's not bad. The mainboard for my Falcon II from GEI was $3700! That's robbery in my book. I'm sure it a more complex board but 3 and half times the cost????

Graphics2u

robbery is asking $2180 for a printhead that you can get everywhere else for about $1200
Was that price through a Mutoh dealer? Heads with a Mutoh part # or any OEM Manufacturer are always more expensive. To order a head for my printer that is sold as Mutoh head is around $1400. But they can be purchased from numerous suppliers from $650-$800. Irritating!

JBarraxSW

Our standard price for a 1204 print head is in that range; a little lower actually. I'm working with LongBeachmichael and our tech support manager to find out why his quote was out of whack.

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
For those that have a 48" VJ can you print a full 48" banner and have enough margin for a 1" hem around the banner? I'm just curious, this is not an accusation that it can't. I just don't know. If it prints 48" in unidirectional and you leave a 1" margin wouldn't it stop printing at 47"? That's the way my Falcon II would be. Hope that makes sense.???

The VJ-1204 can not print with a 1" margin arround a true 48" wide print. When printing 48" wide the printer only has about a .2" margin on the right hand side because of the way the left hand covers are, the print head simply doesn't have enough room on he left to slow down if the image is any further to the left.

JBarraxSW

I was just talking with one of our color technicians about this question.
You can print 48" unidirectionally in Graphics One mode. If you load 48" banner media, that leaves a total margin of one inch.
You can print it so that you'll have about a half inch margin on either side, but it takes some finessing to set it up because you have a margin set by the RIP software (typically on the right hand side) and a margin set by the printer.
Do a test with a wide narrow graphic and set it up in your RIP about a 1/4" from the default position, then print, measure and adjust.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
The VJ-1204 can not print with a 1" margin arround a true 48" wide print. When printing 48" wide the printer only has about a .2" margin on the right hand side because of the way the left hand covers are, the print head simply doesn't have enough room on he left to slow down if the image is any further to the left.

Sure you can. All it requires is a little elementary arithmetic. You don't even have to do any long division. Better yet, if you're using Flexi, it will do the arithmetic for you.

Attend...

The 1204 has a right margin of 3mm. At least mine does, I seem to vaguely recall that you can set this. But assume for the nonce that yours is setup like mine.

To print a 48" banner with a 1" margin all around, make a 46" wide image. Then in your software, Production Manager for Flexi, specify a right margin of 1"-3mm. You can enter it in exactly that way in Flexi and it will do the math.

If you want to print a 48" banner with full bleed, assuming you're going to hem it, make a 47" image and set the right margin to .5"-3mm. This will give you a 1/2" margin all around which, when turned back and hemmed, should give a full bleed on the image area and stay withing the maximum width of 47.5" for bidirectional printing..

Last edited:

Stealth Ryder

Sure you can. All it requires is a little elementary arithmetic. You don't even have to do any long division. Better yet, if you're using Flexi, it will do the arithmetic for you.

Attend...

The 1204 has a right margin of 3mm. At least mine does, I seem to vaguely recall that you can set this. But assume for the nonce that yours is setup like mine.

To print a 48" banner with a 1" margin all around, make a 46" wide image. Then in your software, Production Manager for Flexi, specify a right margin of 1"-3mm. You can enter it in exactly that way in Flexi and it will do the math.

If you want to print a 48" banner with full bled, assuming you're going to hem it, make a 47" image and set the right margin to .5"-3mm. This will give you a 1/2" margin all around which, when turned back and hemmed, should give a full bleed on the image area and stay withing the maximum width of 47.5" for bidirectional printing..

I agree with this statement

trakers

You fellas would most likely go out and hit someone in the head with a tack hammer if you knew the actual production costs of PC boards.

At a former employer we designed and ordered in massively complex PCB's (we're talking 13 and 14 layer) with ass loads of surface mount components and the total production cost of the stuffed boards was but a tiny fraction of $3700 (like 1/37th).

That's not bad. The mainboard for my Falcon II from GEI was $3700! That's robbery in my book. I'm sure it a more complex board but 3 and half times the cost????

I find that alot of people in this forum blast people that are helpful. Its hard to understand until you see or meet these people in there shops.

Honestly theres alot of variables and no one man can teach a shop all of this so therefore you get this "misinformation" when in reality its just impossible to engrave this info. into everyone's head so that they can grasp it and understand it at the same time.

Props to JERRY ,, the effort has to be worth the reward.

That stinks but michael if you have a price quote on paper from a company it is just that a quote.

They cant go back on it please tell me its on paper and just wasnt word of mouth. If so next time make them fax a quote so that they can be held to there word a mistake is a mistake someone must pay for it!