• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Moonshiners...

thewood

I do believe you can make all the whiskey/beer/wine/whatever you want, the crime is if you sell it, and possibly give it away, without paying the apparatus whatever it figures is its due.

I'm not 100% positive, but I believe that it is illegal to distill alcohol in the United States without a permit. Laws on making beer and wine vary state-to-state. In Tennessee, for instance, there are limits on the amount of beer you can brew at home for personal consumption. I was an avid homebrewer at one time.

To me, moonshining is a fascinating piece of Americana that should be kept alive. Then again, I grew up in moonshine country where even teetotalers often keep a quart of shine in the cupboard for medicinal use.

I've had the pleasure over the years of sampling Popcorn Sutton's product. I still have half a quart of his charred that I'm rationing as it is the last I'll ever have.

anotherdog

You americans are the most entertaining people. No wonder reality TV exists.
There is always someone doing something that no same person would ever do.
In any suburban subdivision there must be enought ordinance to fight a small war.

No matter how dangerous, there is always someone being chased by a TV crew while risking life, limb and liberty.

I can't wait to see what stuff you do next :wavingflag: :popcorn:

petepaz

don't get all worked up just see if they have a gift shop you can order from..haha
my sis lives in WV and evbery year that's what i get for x-mas present, couple of mason jars. good stuff, i might be blind in a few years from drinking it but good stuff

Williams Signs

Moonshine has been a family tradition around these parts forever. Many a revenuer burried arround the hills in Land Between the Lakes. For some it is just a way of life.

Hicalibersigns

is my 18" pistol griped double barrel 12 ga ..........legal??? hehehehehhee

As long as the barrels are 18" measured from the breach face to the end of the muzzle. I.e. drop a dowel rod down the bore and mark it at the end then measure. It must be 18" or more. That doesn't mean 17.98", and yes the ATF will arrest you for .02 of an inch. The over all length must be 26" or more. If you are within these confines, then yes it is perfectly legal. Again if it is 25.98" then you have yourself an illegal weapon.

I was looking for information on Camo wraps and came across this thread. Interesting that you all would be talking about this show... it's filmed right down the road from our business. The guy they show making the shine actually has a permit to legally make a certain amount of the liquor. He used to put together a "Moonshine Jamboree" and for that reason he had the permit. We've done business with some people involved in the show, and when asked if it was "real" they said a lot of it was t.v., but there was some reality to it. I believe the ABC officer's point of view is actually reality, but Tim's side of the show is a little played up.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
bob, why do i get the feeling you just *might* know how to make it?

It's actually not that hard ... my brother in law makes it for his bluegrass bands practice. You just need to make sure you don't make methanol (really hard to do) and make sure your still isn't made from radiators and you use nice new materials and use proper construction to prevent poisoning ... really once you know how to make the mash ... it makes itself.

CentralSigns

Up here we have no laws on home brews. We can brew whatever we want. Moonshine is easy to make, you can make it in your kitchen in a canning kettle. Double run burns on a spoon with a clear flame. Makes one hell of a liquor when it's used to make Kahlua. One glass and your on your back staring at the ceiling. Guess that's something we can make since we can't have guns like your AK47's. They would rather have us all smashed than shooting each other.

Got to have a permit to take a 38 pistol to the range. Oh and you must go direct to and from the range cause if you stop to get the bullets on the way, they can throw you in jail and take the away key. Can't even own a full auto gun of any kind.

Last edited:

sfd2122

Moonshiners show is all smoking mirrors. Tim who is the main charector is listed in the screen writers gild for doing other shows one of them being the documentry with Popcorn years ago before he killed himself. There are a few things that could be allowing him to do this on tv, either he has all the permits to brew it or after they brew it they have law enforcement on site and they destroy it right there. I am guessing he has permits because the next show he is trying to open his own distillery it looks like. Never beleive what you see on these shows or you will be really let down in the end.

phototec

Just picked up an AK at the show on Saturday!

Picked up mine in RVN 1970, still have it, makes a good souvenir.

VNflag_1_.gif

Attachments

• Jon & captured AK47.jpg
    Jon & captured AK47.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 68