• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Move Your Money

CanuckSigns

I moved my accounts to a local credit union a few years ago, best decision i've made in a long time. personal service, great interest rates, much lower fees. All the services that a big bank offers, most credit unions can do as well. And I believe you are eligible to use one of the best credit unions in the country Colin, VanCity is awesome from what i hear

David Wright

I did that this week with my business account. Moving out of B of A and into a small local bank. Time will tell if these guys are any better.

Pat Whatley

Bill Maher and Arianna Huffington ?

Who gives a rat a$$ what they say?

Actually, as much as I find both of them repulsive he's making a damn good point. Just another example of the growing shift away from Democrat vs. Republican and over to the people vs. the system.

I moved my personal accounts and business accounts over to a local credit union last week but not for some political reason....I did it because screw Regions Bank and their $4 per month debit card fee.

OldPaint

i too am with regions. my account is a $4 a month to use debt card......ANNNNDDDD if i dont do 15 transactions with it.........they charge me another $15!!!!!!!! need 4 more between now and the 31st.
as for si's remark..........stuff it old man!!!!hahahahahahahaha

visual800

I joined a smaller hometown bank after one the largest ones denied me a loan back some 7 years ago. What was shocking is I have over 5 times the amount I was asking for in the freakin bank! Sterling was the bank owned by Synovous.

After leaving I got a call asking about the issues I had from the local branch manager (who I never knew) and was telling me there was some issues and they would like to revisit that loan, I never called them back. Screw all the large banks I hope they all tumble Ive had it with large corporations

Speedsterbeast

It would be great to see such a shift, but that takes effort. Unfortunately history has proven that the collective population doesn't usually do well at mass movements even if they are a great idea.

For years I thought of a movement to boycott one bank, insurance company and oil company per year on a global scale. It didn't matter which one, just pick one of each and move all of our business elsewhere. The following year do another of each and so on.
Imagine how much better the worlds economies would be if those three industries just took their fair share and left the rest of the money in the pockets of the people to spend elsewhere.
Oh well, I can dream

Richard G

About 10 years ago I moved all of our accounts from one of those larger than God banks to a locally owned one branch bank. I have in my 60 years not made a better move. Nuff said.

Bill Modzel

I've been banking with a local credit union for 20 years. Interest bearing checking account. No check fees, no deposit fees. Most months I make money. I have an open line of credit for emergencies and have financed two large equipment purchases through them at very decent interest rates.

My wife was a book keeper for another local small business who used a local bank and tole me about the monthly checking account fees. I feel I've saved many thousands of dollars over the years with my CU.

CES020

A noble concept, but hardly one that will work. What do most all little banks want? To be bought out by big banks so they can all get rich in the transaction. So if you go moving all your money to little banks and everyone does it, it'll make their balance sheet look fantastic, which will catch the eye of one of the big banks, they'll swoop in and snatch them up in an instant, and you'll once again have your money in the big bank by default.

There used to be dozens of smaller banks around here. Now they are all owned by the big boys.

I think you're safe with that if you are in a credit union, but not so safe if it's just a small local bank.

phototec

Credit Unions are to ONLY way to go!

Yep, Credit Unions are to ONLY way to go, been a co-owner for over 25 years, yes, when you join a Credit Union, you are an owner, NOT just a number. They do treat you better and I have always paid less fee's than a typical bank.

Also, I'm supporting a LOCAL financial institutions that was NOT part of all the housing mess created by the BIG banks that got bailouts...

:wavingflag: :rock-n-roll:

WildWestDesigns

Yep, Credit Unions are to ONLY way to go, been a co-owner for over 25 years, yes, when you join a Credit Union, you are an owner, NOT just a number. They do treat you better and I have always paid less fee's than a typical bank.

Also, I'm supporting a LOCAL financial institutions that was NOT part of all the housing mess created by the BIG banks that got bailouts...

:wavingflag: :rock-n-roll:

It depends on where you are at. Ball and chain has a credit union for when she was living in her home town. The only branch where we live now is on the verge of not being around. They have cut open hours 3 times this year alone. It makes it bloody impossible for her to get to that bank and do anything other then the ATM. That isn't good for their working customers.

Plus, I do some things that they don't have the ability to offer the magnitude of services that I need. At least not at the level of attention and sophistication that I would like. Again though, that would very depending on what the bank has to offer in terms of services and their knowledge base.

TheSnowman

I didn't watch the video, but I've been at a smaller local bank since I opened my first checking account in high school. They've been nothing but great to my family and I. We have one bigger bank (Wells Fargo) and other than that, the other four banks are smaller, basically family owned banks. We don't have a lot of banking drama around our town, and I'm thankful for that.

westpointsigns

Small hometown banks for me. It's nice to pull up to the drive thru or walk in and they know who you are and ask how you're doing... and they are sincere about it. Also it's nice to be able to call them up and say we need a loan for a car and they know who you are, ask how much you want your payments and how long you want the loan for, then tell you how much you can spend. Then tell you to call them when you write the check and the money is in there.

This might be a stupid question... but why go with a credit union... Im moving from wachovia to a different bank and trying to decide between a local bank and a credit union... any advice?

Craig Sjoquist

Moved my huge assets to smaller local banks before and normally they get bought up by bigger banks..lol so so much for plan...A ..lol

Now I can keep moving my vast amount of cash flow to another bank then another as they get bought up.

Myself I like my enormous cash accounts in several banks mostly the ones I get checks from for quick cashing also banks that do not charge for cashing there own checks or free services to have a account, that is what makes a difference to me.

We the people need to buy local and keep our money local as possible..

Techman

Credit unions are owned by the members and act in the membership best interest.

Banks are owned by stockholders and act in the best interest of the stockholders.

That is the difference.