• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh Falcon Outdoor Banding Problem

daenterpri

I just got a newly refurbished Mutoh Falcon Outdoor 48. I've been getting it dialed in, but I keep getting fuzzies around the print heads causing problems.

Tonight I decided to do a thorough cleaning around the print heads using denatured alcohol and a foam brush. I even used an x-acto knife to cut away some old dried ink from around the print head holders.

However, after I completed my cleaning, my prints started looking crappier, and I had really obvious banding. What did I do? Is it something that will go away? I tried having the machine do some cleanings on it's own, and that helped a little, but it's still horrible.

What should I do?

Attachments

• alligator_banding.jpg
    alligator_banding.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 97

daenterpri

Just did a nozzle check and there are all these white lines through it. Looked solid yesterday. Oh boy... have I broken my machine? What did I do?

Attachments

• nozzlecheck.jpg
    nozzlecheck.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 75

daenterpri

Here is the nozzle check this morning after doing what I thought was a head soak last night.

I filled the capping station with cleaning fluid, and put the heads on the capping station, is that correct?

Attachments

• nozzle2.jpg
    nozzle2.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 87

daenterpri

"Newly Refurbished" and you are cleaning dried ink from around the Print Head?

There was a just a little bit of dried ink on the thing that holds the print heads, not on the print head itself.

I may have brushed the print heads a little before I read the thread where someone said, "don't brush the print head". However, I don't think I brushed it that hard, I don't know. Any ideas?

Have you run a cleaning cycle yet?

To soak the heads you have to use a lint free cloth on the cap station wet with cleaning solvent. You have to re wet it about every 30 minutes because it will dry out. From what you have said and the test prints you showed the other day you don't need to soak your heads.

daenterpri

I decided to post a picture of the capping stations. Shouldn't they be full of ink? Most of these are half to a quarter full of ink.

I also posted a picture of my capping station... just in case that shows us anything.

Last and least, after my head soaks last night and this morning, my nozzle test looks worse than ever.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• whitethings.jpg
    whitethings.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 74
  • cappingstation.jpg
    cappingstation.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 91
  • nozzlecheck3.jpg
    nozzlecheck3.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 103
The pump lines are not hooked to the capping station. That is why there is no ink in the waste tank. That is why your heads our getting worse. There are two nipples at the front side of each cap that should have a hose coming off the pump.

daenterpri

The pump lines are not hooked to the capping station. That is why there is no ink in the waste tank. That is why your heads our getting worse. There are two nipples at the front side of each cap that should have a hose coming off the pump.

Sorry, I did that before I took the picture. Any other ideas?

daenterpri

After hooking the drain lines up to a syringe, and pulling several times, I was able to get the nozzle checks to have a little more color in them. However, they still have lines through them, and black isn't showing up at all. Any ideas?

When I'm drawing ink out with the syringe, I have to push the heads all the way to the right and hold them there to get good suction on the capping station. And as I'm pulling ink, it definitely feels like it's pulling back! Is that good or bad?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Attachments

• nozzletest4.jpg
    nozzletest4.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 70
Try pulling a suction on the black drain line without the head on the cap station. If you get the same results you have a blockage some where between the cap and the waste tank. If it pulls air you have a problem with the head or damper probably.

daenterpri

Try pulling a suction on the black drain line without the head on the cap station. If you get the same results you have a blockage some where between the cap and the waste tank. If it pulls air you have a problem with the head or damper probably.

Gave it a shot, it only sucked air. Looking at the dampers it appears that the black damper is not filling up. Why would that happen? I tried putting a new black cartridge in and that didn't seem to help. Is there something I need to do after putting in a new cartridge to get it to fill up?

Anything I should try with the heads? Or do you think I toasted the heads when I brushed them briefly with a foam brush?

I would check the black damper but you should still be should able to pull some ink from the other colors on that head. How much ink is in the other two dampers on that head? I don't think you could have messed the head up to completely wipe out the black.

daenterpri

I would check the black damper but you should still be should able to pull some ink from the other colors on that head. How much ink is in the other two dampers on that head? I don't think you could have messed the head up to completely wipe out the black.

Ya, looks like the black damper is empty. The other two dampers have ink in them. How do I get the black damper to fill up?

I would take the line off coming to the damper and use the syringe to draw ink if you get ink then try replacing the damper. If you don't get ink you have a blockage or broken line.

daenterpri

I would take the line off coming to the damper and use the syringe to draw ink if you get ink then try replacing the damper. If you don't get ink you have a blockage or broken line.

I was able to draw ink. However, why would a damper fail just because I cleaned my print heads and capping station? And why do you think I have white lines through my nozzle check prints?

Not sure why the damper would fail at that time. Good be a coincidence. The one print head looks like there is only one nozzle missing on the magenta side of the second head. I think it has something to do with no ink flowing through the waste lines. You could try hooking the syringe directly to the cap bypassing the pump and try to draw ink through.

No problem, I have got a lot of help from this forum and like to give it back when I can. I have also been through a lot of what your going through. In fact I have to replace my black print head on my printer tomorrow.