• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh Valuejet 1604

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graphicholik3

Mutoh Valuejet 1604 - Horrible machine, horrible manufacturer, and horrible support. Our Valuejet now sits "dead" in our shop next to this beautiful work horse they call a Roland. Sad thing is, that the 1604 is WAY under run and it still doesn't work. We've wasted more money on techs, ink, and material than the printer is even worth, and the much more sad part is, it still doesn't work. Don't waste your money on ANY Mutoh product, and I would strongly recommend you take my advice. You will embarrass yourself with your clients, and your "investment" will turn upside down. No really, we have never lost a client since we've been in business due to production problems, and we've been in business since 1994. With the Mutoh we lost numerous clients whom we tried to explain that we were having issues with our machine yet it would get resolved.

Well what are you supposed to do when a client comes to you they put 50% of the total job down, you purchase materials & inks, you begin to print, and the machine messes the whole process up when it stops in the middle of a job or all of sudden the print quality goes to sh*t. It eats up material trying to troubleshoot so next thing you know the deadline is soon approaching. Your scrambling with techs whom not mention waste tons of material & ink and it's still not fixed. Nothing is MORE EMBARRASSING than calling up a fellow print shop to see what they would charge you to print your files, if you supply them with material. Well once you calculate material & ink wasted, and money wasted on the tech who still hasn't fixed the machine yet it only takes common sense to realize you are no UPSIDE DOWN in a job which is supposed to make you money. Or better yet how embarrassing is it having to call up client after client letting them know you'll have to extend the deadline because of printer issues. It's sad when your regular clients who were loyal because used to our issues or better said Mutohs issues. In reality, you are not only digging out of your own pocket, and putting your company reputation on the line just to meet a deadline for a job that with the right machine would be hassle free and profitable. Try repeating this process for a solid 4 years almost 5. Feel my pain yet?

Mutoh "print experts" suggest you print in RGB...what a joke! Did they really not take a peek behind their machine to see what the ink cartridges are? Or do they not have any knowledge at all in the print industry to know the difference between color spaces? We are professionals, and we know what it takes to run a print operation. We bring over 30+ years experience to the table in this industry we aren't your average joes.

Bottom line is we purchased a Mutoh brand new. Since day 1 we had nothing but problems, and they continued up until the warranty expired. Mutoh being aware of all these problems never offered us the option to extend the warranty or to continue to the support to ensure their own product we purchased ran when they knew the survival of our business depended on it. Leaving us hanging, we continued to pay out of pocket expenses on a machine that never ran properly to begin with. And it would get fixed or at least we thought so. After every time it was "fixed" it broke again shortly after. It came to the point where the tech(s) that were working on this machine regularly didn't know what to do anymore, and they felt bad for us wasting so much money.

Now it only takes common sense to know we got a "lemon" machine. I could understand if we had worked this machine, beat it up, didn't take care of it, etc etc and we wanted all this support from Mutoh than them saying no would be understandable. BUT like I said before, and like ANY tech would testify this machine is way under worked not to mention taken care of to the fullest extent.

Coming to conclusion, it's very sad to know a company can't even stand behind it's product. It comes down to the basic foundation of business; if you're offering something whether it be a product or a service and you can't stand behind it, what does that say about the product or service you're offering? Especially when your making a $25,000.00+ investment. I can buy (& have) a $250.00 printer with better support than a printer with the 'heavty' price tag we paid? Again, if you can't stand behind your product or service than you shouldn't be in business.

Roland makes a great printer with superb customer support. Talk about a work horse...this printer is constantly ran, and continues to run like a champ. The printer in it's first 2 month surpassed the hours, and amount of total jobs produced than our Mutoh did in 4-5 years of having it. Trust me, our job logs & other documentation don't lie!

So what are we now supposed to do with a printer that sits dead in our shop because the manufacturer left us for dead? Well we asked Mutoh the same thing, and the only they answer they had was the nerve to ask us for more money in hopes of getting it fixed. We'll considered we've replaced EVERY part you can replace that is not worth it to us Mutoh. Take your 'POS' machine back, and give us our money back so we can buy a machine that works!

Sincerely,

The now happy Roland users! ;]

ballgame

Graphicholik3,

So you have a 64 inch XC-540? Since when did Roland start making that? You sound like you really know what you are talking about, good job!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Graphicholik3,

So you have a 64 inch XC-540? Since when did Roland start making that? You sound like you really know what you are talking about, good job!

No, he didn't say that at all. He said their new Roland machine has replaced their older Mutoh and he hasn't looked back at all.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, maybe he's a little confused. Going by his post, it was all copacetic.

Graphicholik3

Graphicholik3,

I recently updated my profile. I copy/pasted the Mutoh line & replaced it with the updated Roland text.

Yeah I must not know what I'm talking about at all. And you are who? Your obviously a drama queen...grow up!

ballgame

Don't get all upset because you do not know how to operate a printer. Not once did you mention why your printer is dead in the water. Ever here of user error?

Graphicholik3

Don't get all upset because you do not know how to operate a printer. Not once did you mention why your printer is dead in the water. Ever here of user error?

I don't know how to operate a printer? And where did you gather this information from? Did 30+ years in the industry give you that clue? Or maybe the experts that work on these printers daily not being able to fix it either gave you that clue? Or maybe how I wrote we've been dealing with problem after problem for a long time now?

You might wanna learn respect. If you didn't like what I posted than don't comment. If your gonna be a immature smart ass, don't comment. I don't need to prove to you anything. It has nothing to do with user error so if you would read you would understand. And if you knew about printers you would know that it doesn't give you a 'error code' every time it "breaks."

randya

Mutoh "print experts" suggest you print in RGB...what a joke! Did they really not take a peek behind their machine to see what the ink cartridges are? Or do they not have any knowledge at all in the print industry to know the difference between color spaces?

I still 'design' in RGB, "we" have examined the gamut of the Epson ink and it is larger than a CMYK gamut.
Designing in RGB can give more dramatic output and take advantage of the expanded gamut of the Epson ink set to print colors not available in CMYK designs.

So yes, we understand the difference in color space, and the differences in ink sets.

Graphicholik3

So what is wrong with your printer?

PM the serial # and I will check it out.

Randy you've attempted to help us in the past, and we appreciate that. But Mutoh left us high & dry after attempting to fix something for years. Your own Mutoh certified techs gave up on fixing it yet you guys still believe it's our problem. The printer is junk, and we will never support a company like Mutoh ever again. Nor do I recommend anyone to make an investment in a company with such careless support when it really came down to it.

So we appreciate your personal support, but Roland is the answer to escaping the Mutoh curse.

Graphicholik3

I still 'design' in RGB, "we" have examined the gamut of the Epson ink and it is larger than a CMYK gamut.
Designing in RGB can give more dramatic output and take advantage of the expanded gamut of the Epson ink set to print colors not available in CMYK designs.

So yes, we understand the difference in color space, and the differences in ink sets.

RGB is the working space for web design. Any knowledgeable designer knows that. How could a Epson ink set thats made up of CMYK take advantage of out of gamut RGB colors? That makes no sense at all. The whole RGB process is completely irrelevant in print when it comes to color spaces (RGB vs. CMYK).

3M, Avery, Adobe, Pantone, & Roland all agree with me yet Mutoh is the only company telling anyone to print in RGB. Kinda funny isn't it?

randya

RGB is the working space for web design. Any knowledgeable designer knows that. How could a Epson ink set thats made up of CMYK take advantage of out of gamut RGB colors? That makes no sense at all. The whole RGB process is completely irrelevant in print when it comes to color spaces (RGB vs. CMYK).

3M, Avery, Adobe, Pantone, & Roland all agree with me yet Mutoh is the only company telling anyone to print in RGB. Kinda funny isn't it?
ColorSpaceGraph.jpg
The simple answer is that cartridge based inks, in particular the Epson ink set (as well as most of the 3rd party ink sets I have looked at) are not 'process-color' CMYK.

Like I said the Epson ink set's gamut is larger than CMYK.
In the picture the RGB gamut contains both the Epson Ink gamut for Arlon 6000 and the CMYK gamut.

The white area is the overlap, this is the expanded gamut of the Epson ink set over the CMYK ink, so no the Epson ink doesnt cover the entire RGB gamut but it does provide more than the CMYK gamut and significantly more in some cases.

This allows one to print colors that are out of the CMYK gamut, which gives more pop, especially for projects like wraps.
So it can give you much better greens and blues, some better yellows and a bit more help in reds, where most people have issues.

Last edited:

Graphicholik3

View attachment 61864

Like I said the Epson ink set's gamut is larger than CMYK.
In the picture the RGB gamut contains both the Epson Ink gamut for Arlon 6000 and the CMYK gamut.

The white area is the overlap, this is the expanded gamut of the Epson ink set over the CMYK ink, so no the Epson ink doesnt cover the entire RGB gamut but it does provide more than the CMYK gamut.

This allows one to print colors that are out of the CMYK gamut, which gives more pop, especially for projects like wraps.

So it can give you much better greens and blues, some better yellows and a bit more help in reds, where most people have issues.

I understand what you're saying because you guys got me to try it in the past. And it didn't help me achieve any better looking colors. I'm asking how that is possible when the Eco-Sol ink set is the standard 4 color-process (CMYK). But I now see why the Roland is able to produce much better looking color than the Mutoh by adding in the LC & LM inks.

RIP software's convert any document you throw at it to CMYK data. Therefore it can process any data, and make it printable.

So if you take 100% Blue in RGB it will than translate through RIP into a somewhat purple-looking color in CMYK. When you input your RGB document into the RIP it converts the colors to what it thinks is close enough to the CMYK value thus producing huge color shifts.

I've done plenty of testing to prove that no RGB document can output a wider range of colors using the standard CMYK ink sets. Putting a RGB document into a RIP that's converting those values to the closest CMYK values is putting a lot of "hope" when you need to be "sure" what your going to output. You never know what the translation of that color is going to become in the output and 9/10 it produces "dull" & "muddy" looking values of what the CMYK color should look like.

Graphicholik3

Back to the printer:

Randy you are a great guy, and you have always been very prompt in providing us your best possible support to help us get issues resolved. And we thank you for that!

But it's a shame to know we invested that large amount into a company that cannot stand behind their own product. You guys were clearly aware of the problems we experienced since the day the printer was delivered to our shop, and setup. It wasn't a problem getting it worked on then because the Mutoh was under warranty still. As we continued to experience problem after problem the expiration date of the warranty was soon approaching. We then were asking if their was an option to extend the warranty because of all the issues we were having, and you guys said no. When realistically by than the printer should of been replaced as your certified techs agreed & spent more time at our shop wasting our own material & ink trying to figure out what was going on with your machine and not troubleshooting (fixing) because of user error.

So than our warranty expired, and here we are left paying your certified techs now out of our own pocket for a machine that has NEVER worked without a problem since day one. A few months after our warranty expires you guys offer an extended warranty option now to new customers purchasing your printers. How were we supposed to feel about that?

The machine has now became a month-to-month nightmare as another couple years continued to pass. Still trying to get you guys to stand behind your product, and still wasting endless amounts of money on material, ink, and techs (who aren't cheap). It was always something new, and again it had nothing to do with user error it was the product itself. Now in the automobile industry they refer to this as a "lemon", and a company that stands behind their product understands that these things happen. So than they do what it takes to make the consumer happy whether it's replacing or refunding. If not, why would any want to purchase from that manufacturer when theirs a chance now of being left in the dust after you invested a large amount of money into something?! Especially in our case something that is supposed to help make your company profitable not keep digging and digging a hole.

As we continued to fix and fix in hopes we would never have to do it anymore...well that day never came. We've replaced just about EVERY party accountable for the "symptoms" the machine continues to produce. Your certified tech(s) stand in our production room scratching their heads as they continue to replace parts and parts when the machine still isn't fixed. It came down to the point where the tech(s) threw in the towel, and confirmed to you guys for years now that replacing or refunding would of been the proper solution. And we also threw in the towel as we couldn't afford to waste money to try & keep hoping to fix a machine that wasn't our fault & we all feel wasn't feasible for us to fix. It had nothing to do with the user, but the product itself. And you guys keep putting the blame on everyone else (Material, RIP Software, etc.) rather than doing like any reputatble company would do and stand behind your product, period. Even after we made a "heavty" investment in your product all Mutoh seemed to care about was getting MORE money out of us instead of making things right.

So again I ask what are we supposed to do when a company leaves us high & dry? We bring 30+ years experience to this industry. We aren't your "average joe" company fiddling around with a printer without bringing any knowledge or experience to the table. We are professionals. And the reputation of our company depends on that. Mutoh took our money, and that's all she wrote. "Troubleshooting" only goes on for so long until a product classified as a lemon needs to be replaced. Just like if we wrap a vehicle, and the media kept failing we would keep replacing or eventually refund the money to keep the customer satsified. That's customer service, and business ethics.

What's that say about a company that manufacturers a product? You tell me. Because we're just sharing our experience in hopes of nobody else experiencing the nightmare we went through. I can buy a $250 printer and experience problems in which they will replace it or refund me, no questions asked. But when we make a $25,000.00+ investment in a printer you guys point fingers, and turn your backs. Is that right? Did a company that did everything to make things right with you guys deserve to be treated like this? What happened to business ethics?

The machine has now sat "dead" in our shop for some time now as we now have had a Roland work horse that has been producing graphics non-stop without ANY issues.

Mutoh clearly understood the survival of our business depended on them, and they turned their backs on us. Now would you recommend anyone buying from a company like that?

And last but not least what do you suggest we do with your broken product that now collects dust? Put more money out of our pockets to hope to one day fix this lemon that hasn't worked since day one? Well we already tried that, and it's still not fixed nor does the tech(s) that have been trying to fix it have any more for us to try. My solution would be to sell it, but we can't even do that. You guys know what you should of done, and what you should do! But the real question is does Mutoh want to make their consumers happy?

Above it all nothing will ever amount to the embarrassment your product put us through with our clients. Nothing will amount to the clients we lost, and the large amounts of money we wasted on material & ink alone. Let alone all the stress this once "happy" investment brought into our lives.

randya

I appreciate the kind words, Brandon, but without knowing for sure who you are and what the serial # is, I have no real reference point to work off of. I didnt recognize you from your profile, and found your name Brandon in an early post, so I am guessing now perhaps you are Steves son from VGI Graphics. If you will verify that then I can look at our records and make an informed response.

On extended warranty.
I understand that our warranty policy is that the warranty service can be extended WHILE the machine is still under warranty just by purchasing the extended warranty, once the machine is out of warranty - a service inspection is required to insure that the printer is still in factory specification before extended warranty is granted, that inspection must be paid for by the customer. So perhaps this is the situation you are talking about for denied extended warranty?

thank you,
randya

Status
Not open for further replies.