• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need your opinion - Magnum magnetic material

brush1

Not every job we did, even out of the same roll, came back or had problems, it was very hit or miss, some jobs were fine, others were failures. I know there was at least one redo out of every roll though...
Thank you. Good to know.

gabagoo

I use earth magnets for lining up graphics on cars these days and you would be surprised how hard they hold to most vehicles ,but also there are other vehicles wherby the magnet holds but can easily slide around with little effort...so I am thinking the mags for vehicles are not nearly as strong as earth magnets and they could fly off without proper cleaning weekly.

brush1

I use earth magnets for lining up graphics on cars these days and you would be surprised how hard they hold to most vehicles ,but also there are other vehicles wherby the magnet holds but can easily slide around with little effort...so I am thinking the mags for vehicles are not nearly as strong as earth magnets and they could fly off without proper cleaning weekly.
This is what I think is the most possible.

Patentagosse

'Had a customer complaining about the magnetics flying off so I walked out the shop with a strong magnet (the one we use to hold graphics on vehicle when wrapping) and it barely attracted when approaching my hand... I got down on my knees and inspected the door from an angle. Guess what, vehicle has been badly wrecked and was repaired by a wannabe so figure the thickness of putty put in the center of the doors. Now try to get .030 magnet sheeting holding on.

ChicagoGraphics

I'd say that your customer is BSing 100%, there's now way all 4 would drop off at the same time. I been using Mangum magnetics for years and only had one come back and the reason why it nolonger stuck was because the customer folded it in half. Some customers just don't listen to me when I tell them the simple care that goes alonong magnetics.

ThinkRight

They told me while driving.
I will be happy to put piece of magnet on they car and drive with them to see this!

I think I know what happened...
The crew must have gone to a strip club in the company vehicle...
Being considerate or just wanting to keep their jobs , they peeled off the magnets and went inside....
They left the magnets in the parking lot !!!
:ROFLMAO:

SignManiac

I'm pretty sure Magnum is manufactured in China and I've heard that the Chinese are now using cheaper grades of magnetism in their material. They water it down with lead which makes the material heavier and more prone to falling off, in combination with weaker magnetic poles. Just can't get good stuff anymore.

Ken

Funny thing is..most of these magnetic signs have phone numbers on them. They were probably stolen.
Cheers!
Ken

visual800

tell the customer to f****o**! no he didnt lose them something happened to them, all 4? I doubt it. maybe the guys pressure washed the vehicle and didnt shard or think when they blew off

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I wish not.
It is really bad feeling when someone blame you and you try the best what you can....but on the end is not your fault.

Tell him it is not your fault ...... it is his asphalt....
(you have to say it fast out loud)

wayne k
guam usa

long day - time to go home.

Pat Whatley

FEverything from hard to remove from the vehicle, to welded to the paint, to flew off almost immediately. Some were really badly curled and warped around the top edges.

You know, the last roll I got felt different and I had to double check the box and make sure it was Magnum Magnetic. I would have sworn it was the JASDI stuff that was causing all the problems a couple of years ago. Same satiny finish on the back, and the same feel to the front.

If Magnum has changed their magnetic material I'm getting out of the magnetic sign business.

Border

I try really hard to talk customers out of magnetic signs. Turns out most of them think that vinyl lettering will damage their paint and that is the main reason they want magnets. Once I tell them that magnets are far more likely to cause damage, blow off, get stolen/vandalized and at best will make their company look "cheap", they usually change their mind.
A little education goes a long ways. That said, the material of choice for me has always been Magnum in the past but it does seem to me too that the quality is not what it used to be.

brush1

I think temporary sign (magnet) is for temporary business.

This customer is also first customer complaining about quality of my product.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Just had a customer bring in the 2 door mags that didn't blow away to prove that they weren't working. Sure enough...I cleaned them, etc...tested them on my doors...
DEAD SPOTS! several. I've not had this happen with Magnum in the past and honestly...didn't believe him until I saw for myself. I've had a customer lose them only to find out the door was bondo cause I tried a new one on it when they came in.
SO now I'm concerned. . . and this thread only heightened that concern. Thanks.

brush1

Wow! Thank you for up date.
Good to know. In 16 years never had this problem.
In past few years I see more and more not good quality products on the market.
It is really sad.