• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New to the Biz and Very lost

DOGraphics

Maybe BUT

[/color]
Very good point...many here forget this site is called SIGNS 101 which one would assume a beginner would be perfectly in his/her right to ask a "newb" questions.

I read about every noob post before I posted one comment. Jusy my
$ 0.02

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The name Signs 101 seems to cause a lot of confusion. In my experience "101" indicates a first year college level course. When I went to college we were expected to have done our homework before asking questions and no one cared if you passed or failed. You simply failed the course if you couldn't research and learn the material.

Signs 101 is not intended to be kindergarten for sign maker wannabees. At the same time, it's often difficult to know just where some newbies are coming from. We accept their registrations and let them sort themselves out. Those that are here to learn the craft and improve their skills tend to separate themselves from those who are just looking for quicker answers than one gets from reading the user guide or dealing with a legitimate dealer.

All these folks are welcome to join and their posts are, at the very least, an education as to whom you may be competing with and what their mindset is. It makes sense, IMHO, to give new comers the benefit of the doubt and not be so quick to respond with rudeness. Some will actually get some good ideas on their own and end up better members of the sign making community.

imaSIGNr

I do agree that many newb questions have been answered and are in the archives here. Possibly there could be a way to point this out to newbs and maybe could be their first homework assignment when joining the forum.

All new members would be sent a notice asking to please check the archives for answers to questions that possibly have been answered many times over.

The next thought would be to Google before asking.

And then there are many ways people can check to see " What Font is This ?" too without having to ask on the forum very first thing.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I do agree that many newb questions have been answered and are in the archives here. Possibly there could be a way to point this out to newbs and maybe could be their first homework assignment when joining the forum.

All new members would be sent a notice asking to please check the archives for answers to questions that possibly have been answered many times over.

The next thought would be to Google before asking.

And then there are many ways people can check to see " What Font is This ?" too without having to ask on the forum very first thing.

The answer to all those is ... if you don't want to reply, don't reply. Signs 101 has something for everybody but it's doubtful that everything is for everybody. I can read 5 seconds into a post and know if it's something I want to continue reading. there's no rule saying you have to read everything or anything and certainly no rule requiring anyone to reply to anything.

If newbie posts are wasting your time or if you feel they should do their homework first, then just go on to the next thread.

Flame

i can teach a [kid] to run a cutter in 2 hours, i do it all the time... most people on this site couldnt make a sign without thier pc. so dont sweat the serial posters. fred needs a sub site, mabey call it supersignmakerexpertonly .com

Sign maker in 2 hours, wow. I'm impressed. I'm going to start sending my helpers to you. Fly in, 2 hours of training, fly back and we're off and running like professionals.

:beer I need one after that post...

OldPaint

OK...MR ENGINEER.....and in what field of that are adept in??? DESIGNER IN WHAT FIELD??? closests?clothes? ))))))
i myself am a DRAFTSMAN by schooling and training. i also was a PROJECT ENGINEER for metal building construction. so iam well versed in that end of engineering.
now WHY would you leave a GOOD PAYING profession to play in this arena??? MY 1ST QUESTION.
as for you getting a GOOD DEAL on all that equipment, well i think he saw youre UNKNOWLEDGEABLNESS and dumped it on ya.
PC-60 really ANTIQUE ROLAND PRINTER... cost more to fix & RUN then its worth. as for a good price for this one...$3-500 MAX.
PNC-1210...WAS ONE HERE FOR SALE... think it went for bout same as the PC-60. THE HEAT PRESS i got a 15" x 15" for $200 hat press...i got no idea but not more then i paid for a heat press....so at the high end you got TAKEN......as for you getting your money back...good luck but i think not.
AS FOR YOU wanting to know how to get started.....YOU GOT COREL.....IF YOU WAS REALLY GOOD WITH IT (as some here are) you wouldnt be askin the questions you do.
seems to me you got $2500 worth of $1000 equipment, and you think your gona make a killin overnite without any EFFORT.
how many years DID IT TAKE for the ENGINEERING DEGREE???
now see how we 30 YEAR PLUS SIGN ENGINEERS see your question...WE DONT HATE YOU.....dont take it personel....
BUT YOU GOT TO BRING SOMETHING...TO GET SOMETHING)))))
OH and when FLAMEY wants to send his help....I REALLY CHUCKLE CAUSE HE WAS WHERE YOU ARE BOUT A YEAR AGO)))))))))

Flame

OH and when FLAMEY wants to send his help....I REALLY CHUCKLE CAUSE HE WAS WHERE YOU ARE BOUT A YEAR AGO)))))))))

lol. OP, I started with a plotter 5 1/2 years ago, not last year.

Atleat I learned how to draw, unlike others..... :tongue:

4R Graphics

The best thing you can do is have thick skin there are a lot of people here that just hate newbies. So chin up and do lots of reading here, there and everywhere as for your being able to use your equipment listen to Fred youll need some more software get some books and search the net for tutorials on Corel and you will be on your way also I recommend you get a big piece of glass and some other substrates put them up in your shop/garage cut and print lots of stuff and install it on your test pieces when you get it down to where you would be willing to pay someone doing it for you at that quality then hit the streets and advertise. Oh one quick tip for you DONOT ASK HOW MUCH TO CHARGE youll get burned faster and worse then you did here. If you want to know what to charge call around town act like a customer and get quotes then take the quotes and figure the average then charge that as many people like your self think oh ill charge dirt low prices but that hurts us as when you fail due to lack of experience lack of quality and not enough money to stay open we are the ones who now have your former customer who is moody about sign people because they were hosed over last time they delt with a SIGN GUY and they give us rashions of crap because we are expensive but truth is its not expensive you get what you pay for and I have to make money to keep my kids feed. I am sure that if you can get an engineering degree then you are capable of learning this business but dont expect to be a pro or even really good at it with out putting in the time just like college no study no pass no degree.

Good luck.

Tparkin

I'm kinda with you jimmy.

I frequent this site several times a day, just to browse mainly but also for help or input. I started doing signs/printing,etc. about a year and a half ago as a sideline to my already up and running screen printing biz. Now it's probably a 50/50 split between the two with many repeat customers. I owe most of the credit for that to this site and the info I've been able to obtain from it. I was a noob..still a noob, but continue to learn the hard way by making mistake and fixing it.

It's dis-heartening to see people jump out like blood thirsty vultures when a guy is simply trying to get started. I'm glad I just read threads for a while and didn't ask any questions at first...geez.

Anyway, good luck w/ your new venture and ignore the haters. Take your time, make mistakes and learn from them. That's the only way to figure it out.

jimmysigns

I'm kinda with you jimmy.

I frequent this site several times a day, just to browse mainly but also for help or input. I started doing signs/printing,etc. about a year and a half ago as a sideline to my already up and running screen printing biz. Now it's probably a 50/50 split between the two with many repeat customers. I owe most of the credit for that to this site and the info I've been able to obtain from it. I was a noob..still a noob, but continue to learn the hard way by making mistake and fixing it.

It's dis-heartening to see people jump out like blood thirsty vultures when a guy is simply trying to get started. I'm glad I just read threads for a while and didn't ask any questions at first...geez.

Anyway, good luck w/ your new venture and ignore the haters. Take your time, make mistakes and learn from them. That's the only way to figure it out.

are you talking to me? :rolleyes:
If so I was meaning that I get depressed watching all these people jumping in the business without a clue. like it's easy money. I'm a sign painter, I wish computers would blow up. :biggrin:

jscarl

Welcome from mid Michigan. Another good beginner software is Vinyl Master Pro. It has a very good tutorial section in it for beginners or "experts".
Good luck and don't run away.:Welcome:

i can teach a [kid] to run a cutter in 2 hours, i do it all the time... most people on this site couldnt make a sign without thier pc. so dont sweat the serial posters. fred needs a sub site, mabey call it supersignmakerexpertonly .com

ROTFLMAO..... AMEN to THAT! :peace!::peace!:
I understand the Expert Pro's attitudes, I really do...so maybe a sub site would be a good idea!! I'm in a very small town and operate a small video rental store and also a small copy and custom print shop. This began as a complimentary biz and then I began doing custom shirts using screen printed & stock transfers, found a deal on a 15" Roland Colorcamm and bought so I could continue my custom shirt biz. That is leading into small sign stuff. Unfortunately we can't all open $20K sign shops. This is a great place full of resources and very knowledgeable and talented artists, but they are bound to get tired of the daily/weekly "newbies". Maybe make a "Newbies" folder or topic and then only the people who have the time and patience could respond and the Pros who are too busy can avoid it like the plague.

Disclaimer: No offense to anyone intended.

My apologies, I should have read all the posts on this thread first, I like how Fred addressed this, after all, he's the boss ;-) and thanks to all you friendly people here... This was a very informative thread to me as well.

VinylCraft

Why would you buy something you have no idea how to runn ? Try gumball machines you can refill once a month easy enough.

cOrKinSA

My apologies, I should have read all the posts on this thread first, I like how Fred addressed this, after all, he's the boss ;-) and thanks to all you friendly people here... This was a very informative thread to me as well.
Go figure a "Noob" give his three cents in and not know what was being talked about until the whole thread is read.:Big Laugh

N2Harpz

Ok, I understand that. But like i said was just looking for a hobby cutter to get started and I came across all this equipment. sorry I didn't intend to imply that it was easy by any means.
I'm in michigan

LOL ... these guys are tuff. Your best bet would be to do a bunch of searches in this forum. You will find a lot of info here if you look hard enough.

Hang in there.

RedWolf

Why would you buy something you have no idea how to runn ?

Lots of teenagers buy cars, trucks, and motorcycles without knowing how to run them either. Personally, I would rather see an engineer trying to run his cutter than some teenager sharing the road with me in his/her "new to them" car while probably talking on the cell phone.

Everybody should give the guy a break, it is not like he is going to hurt anybody with it. Well since he is an engineer, he might find a way to make it a "street legal" driving machine. Then everybody would want one and you would be the newbies and he would be the expert...lol. :thumb:

Welcome from WI.

Matt

VinylCraft

Lots of teenagers buy cars, trucks, and motorcycles without knowing how to run them either. Personally, I would rather see an engineer trying to run his cutter than some teenager sharing the road with me in his/her "new to them" car while probably talking on the cell phone.

Everybody should give the guy a break, it is not like he is going to hurt anybody with it. Well since he is an engineer, he might find a way to make it a "street legal" driving machine. Then everybody would want one and you would be the newbies and he would be the expert...lol. :thumb:

Welcome from WI.

Matt

Yes well with that said you also are required by law to have a license to use them. And in the licensing you are also required to go threw the proper training a little different. Not saying he can't do whatever. Do the research. Its out there.