• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New to the Biz and Very lost

Cadmn

The best thing you can do is have thick skin there are a lot of people here that just hate newbies. So chin up and do lots of reading here, there and everywhere as for your being able to use your equipment listen to Fred youll need some more software get some books and search the net for tutorials on Corel and you will be on your way also I recommend you get a big piece of glass and some other substrates put them up in your shop/garage cut and print lots of stuff and install it on your test pieces when you get it down to where you would be willing to pay someone doing it for you at that quality then hit the streets and advertise. Oh one quick tip for you DONOT ASK HOW MUCH TO CHARGE youll get burned faster and worse then you did here. If you want to know what to charge call around town act like a customer and get quotes then take the quotes and figure the average then charge that as many people like your self think oh ill charge dirt low prices but that hurts us as when you fail due to lack of experience lack of quality and not enough money to stay open we are the ones who now have your former customer who is moody about sign people because they were hosed over last time they delt with a SIGN GUY and they give us rashions of crap because we are expensive but truth is its not expensive you get what you pay for and I have to make money to keep my kids feed. I am sure that if you can get an engineering degree then you are capable of learning this business but dont expect to be a pro or even really good at it with out putting in the time just like college no study no pass no degree.

Good luck.
first of we don't hate newbies it's just their "I bought this wrench real cheep," now I wanna be a mechanic tell me what bolt to turn. I'll get rich because its easy. I too am long time draftsman even teaching in college & typical engineer attitude it Works on paper, well you bought yourself a box of goods & if you knew about plotters & drivers you would download the drivers & be one step closer to being able to do something.

RedWolf

Yes well with that said you also are required by law to have a license to use them. And in the licensing you are also required to go threw the proper training a little different. Not saying he can't do whatever. Do the research. Its out there.

Fully understood, yet does happen. Anyways, wasn't trying to sound like I was arguing or anything like that, was just a general comment. :thumb:

OFF TOPIC** I like the site you have VinylCraft. I am on dial up and so many people that have a flash site do not bother to also offer a html site to their viewers. It is nice to see somebody thinking of us internet connection speed challenged out here..lol.

Matt

Billct2

we can't all open $20K sign shops
yeh I wish I could open one for $20K, it's more like $50-150K to open a decent shop nowadays, and that's as long as you don't get into any serious installs.

Square One

LOL ... these guys are tuff. Your best bet would be to do a bunch of searches in this forum. You will find a lot of info here if you look hard enough.

Hang in there.

As N2 Harpz said, Hang in there. Look around here on this site, there is a tremendous amount of information on here. Do a google search on the equipment you have, you should be able to find more info on web for them. Maybe you could get the previous owner to give you some training, or possibly someone near to you may be able to help you out. Don't let what others say bring you down. Everyone has to start somewhere. I follow these forums on a daily basis, but do not post real often, it is amazing what you can learn from just by reading others post's on different subjects.

Laminatrix

Wow....I'm with jimmysigns and Tparkin.....EXTREMELY glad I didn't ask too many questions, and even more glad that when I did I didn't mention my lack of experiece.

Just browsed for the most part and read.

There's a bunch of tough people around here!

Everybody has to start somewhere....give the guy a break!

weaselboogie

Wow....I'm with jimmysigns and Tparkin.....EXTREMELY glad I didn't ask too many questions, and even more glad that when I did I didn't mention my lack of experiece.

Just browsed for the most part and read.

There's a bunch of tough people around here!

Everybody has to start somewhere....give the guy a break!

I think you're mistaken.... Jimmysigns corrected Tparkin with this...

"are you talking to me? :rolleyes:
If so I was meaning that I get depressed watching all these people jumping in the business without a clue. like it's easy money. I'm a sign painter, I wish computers would blow up. :biggrin:"

prosign print

I know someone who teachers people to use Coral Draw, where are you?

Hi, well where to start...I'm a engineer and designer for a living. and I started looking for a side business. So I bought a pc-60, pnc 1210, hotronix shirt press and a hotronix hat press. and the only software I have is corel draw 8. haha and I have no idea how to operate any of it. oooooo boy.

so what else do I need? I can design on corel fine. but how do I get it to the cutter? right now I just using the pnc 1210. do I need any other software?

thanks so much for your input and time.

prosign print

well said i agree with you 100% forget about all the haters out there who probebly had the same problems as this chap but are to perfect to admit it.

At least he is trying to make a living!

I also need advise, anyone out there who can help me decide between a Mutoh value jet 1614 or a JV33 160 im not to perfect to ask for help either?

Cheers

jiarby

Hey I want in on this...

I just bought a skillet & a spoon so I could open my side catering business.

Does anyone know of a good catering/chef forum so I can ask them how to cook stuff...??

I heard I need a stove too but it's not in the budget right now. What's the best brand of stove?

weaselboogie

Hey I want in on this...

Does anyone know of a good catering/chef forum so I can ask them how to cook stuff...??

I heard I need a stove too but it's not in the budget right now. What's the best brand of stove?

Maybe you could sub out all of your stove work. A cigarette lighter should work just fine and cost A LOT less!

RedWolf

Hey I want in on this...

Hi Jiarby,

Good luck on your new venture into the catering business. I am sure if you do a Google search you can find information about a good catering/chef forum site. As far as a stove, maybe start out with the one you have at home, or a BBQ grill. Charcoal preferred as most do not like the LP ones. Weber makes a great charcoal BBQ grill, and get the 22 inch model as it holds more than the 18 inch model. Once you get the grill and some information on how to cook, stop on back and maybe somebody here can make you a sign to advertise your cooking business. The Merchant Members are very nice here and helpfull.

Only cooking tip I can think of off the top of my head is when cooking baked beans on the grill, use a pan. They tend to slide through the grates on the grill and onto the coals.

Hope I have helped you out in your new venture. Next time you stop back, bring some steaks off of the grill, I prefer mine medium-rare.

Once again, good luck.

Matt

(Soory about being off topic, just showing how to be helpfull to somebody learning something new.) :thumb:

David Wright

I think you finally scared him off. At least he was more honest about his lack of skills than a lot of folks here.
As for Op, with each year your resume expands with skills and education heretofore unmentioned.

Signguyno1

Hey I want in on this...

I have a good entry level stove for you and its portable, comes with all the software to put you in the catering business in less than fifteen minutes, you too can be a professional caterer. All this for the meger amount of $2500.00

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 84

coyote

I prefer to wrap the meal in aluminum foil and place on the engine block of the car. In about 8 hours or so of doing deliveries and running errands, I can come home to a nice hot dinner. If you have a big enough engine, you could probably cook dinner for a group of about 15 or so.
Carol

smdgrfx

I'm kinda with you jimmy.

I frequent this site several times a day, just to browse mainly but also for help or input. I started doing signs/printing,etc. about a year and a half ago as a sideline to my already up and running screen printing biz. Now it's probably a 50/50 split between the two with many repeat customers. I owe most of the credit for that to this site and the info I've been able to obtain from it. I was a noob..still a noob, but continue to learn the hard way by making mistake and fixing it.

It's dis-heartening to see people jump out like blood thirsty vultures when a guy is simply trying to get started. I'm glad I just read threads for a while and didn't ask any questions at first...geez.

Anyway, good luck w/ your new venture and ignore the haters. Take your time, make mistakes and learn from them. That's the only way to figure it out.

I'm of the same feelings as you, although I've been in the sign business for 12 years. There were no forums on the internet back then and no one would help me. I am self taught and it has been a learning process. Don't let these guys/gals get you down. Look around the web for more answers, and if the equipment works and you can make money with it, then it was worth it. Not everyone finds plotters for $500 and heat presses for $200. I have purchased most of my equipment brand new and wish I could have found good deals. You did good for a first purchase if the equipment is all operational.:Welcome: